WARNING Auto water dump valve (1 Viewer)

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Just a quick reminder for those who have a auto dump valve (thats what I call it) that as the tempreture drops the valves will open and dump the water out of your heater

the warning is that people often people leave the water pump on via the control panel, and when the dump valve the open's, the water pump will kick in and keep pumping until I assume it flattens the battery or burns out:cry:

This for those with vans in storage could be weeks:Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the warning is that people often people leave the water pump on via the control panel, and when the dump valve the open's, the water pump will kick in and keep pumping until I assume it flattens the battery or burns out

No everyone need worry about this - ours has taps with switches built in rather than a pressurised system.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A good Timely reminder:thumb:

but in my mind these auto dump valves are a disaster waiting to happen.

wake in the morning and turn the boiler on, or a preset timer, for hot water and the boiler has dumped during the night.....no water = blown boiler.
or is there a failsafe system installed?

as for the pump....i always turn it off even if leaving the van for only a few hours. you never know when a leak can occure and you dont want 80ltrs of water pumped into the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blisters

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Quiet wise John,
Brian and those like him who don't have these valve's don't forget to drain your system

As for the valves, I think they dump at 4 degrees, and wont reset until the tempreture reaches 8 degrees. As to wether you can damage a boiler buy running it dry, I don't Know, I do know your can run the blown air heating dry which uses the same boiler.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
The Truma catalogue states that at temps below 8c switch on warm air AND water heater to fill the system (to stop auto dumping the water) therefore I don't think any damage would be incurred by accidentally switching on the water heater when the tank is empty.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bloody thing is a pain in the nether regions !
It even decided to dump night before last at a temp of about 10 !!
Gonna pull it out and put an ordinary manual one in when I get a chance

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
One night on our way down to Spain the temp dropped and we woke up to the sound of our water being pumped away (leave pump on in case we need loo in night)

Now I have a clothes peg acting as a circlip on the dump valve to stop accidental emtyings, although I have to remember to remove it if van is being left anywhere a freeze is likely.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
One of the things I had changed when I got this van was for the Truma automatic valve to be replaced with a manual valve.

I hate automatic be it a Truma valve or a windows update.

Control freak. Who me:winky:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
dump valve

put a peg on it

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Quiet wise John,
Brian and those like him who don't have these valve's don't forget to drain your system

Oh I have the valve but it won't cause a problem with the water pump.

Neither will it save the plumbing on the taps side. As I have said before and may as well say again since it's mighty chilly - WATCH OUT FOR THE SHOWER LOOP - I HAD WATER TRAPPED IN THIS AND THIS KEPT WATER IN THE SHOWER VALVE AND THE FROST CRACKED THE PLASTIC VALVE.

Drop the shower head on the floor to make it drain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back