Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok so during out travels ( which we have no plans ) we are in scotland and we have found ourselves in Oban , it is here that my other half said she would like to go to the Isle of Mull.
So that's where we are of to tomorrow. Well I hope ^^
Now the reason for my post is . Does anyone know the price of the ferry from Oban , as I've read it's more expensive to get the ferry from here.
Also are there places to wild camp in Mull , no fussy at all where as long as you can park :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Ok so during out travels ( which we have no plans ) we are in scotland and we have found ourselves in Oban , it is here that my other half said she would like to go to the Isle of Mull.
Now the reason for my post is . Does anyone know the price of the ferry from Oban , as I've read it's more expensive to get the ferry from here.
Also are there places to wild camp in Mull , no fussy at all where as long as you can park :)

I believe that it depends on the length of your vehicle. Check the CalMac website for prices.

The cheapest option is to take the council ferry across to the peninsula north west of Oban and then cross to Fishnish.

Wild camping is fine in Mull. We love it there.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
here you go

https://www.calmac.co.uk/

yes to places to wild camp, but it gets very busy, slightly over rated IMO

alternative ferry option, via Lochaline, longer but lovely drive north to Conan ferry (cheap and runs all day) then down to Locahaline even nicer drive, great views over to Mull and IMO a better place to stay, nice pub on mainland at Lochaline

But ferry from here is much shorter more regular and massively cheaper (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I f you are in Oban go to the Calmac office and enquire.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990

Don't want to be a killjoy and can't help with the ferry prices but have seen fb photos and video in the last wk for isle of sky and comments about mull , been absolutely full of mh ..

Again can't be specific but been told that there are lots of possibilities on mull for parking up..
Andy.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The Highlands and Islands may become quieter now that Scotish schools have started their autumn term.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
As said if you've got the time the drive north towards Fort William, across the Coran ferry and then cross to Lochaline. Fantastic views if the weathers being kind to you, if it's wet just go via the oban-Craignure route which from last October was vastly reduced in price so not expensive now.

Not been on the island since the cheap ferries so guess it will be a lot busier now, friends run the campsite at Craignure and theve had almost a third more customers so more traffic on the single track roads maybe.

My favourite places for wild camping were Loch Buie, long windy road but fantastic place when you get there. Don't expect a phone signal there though.
Other place we went was on the west side along the side of Loch Na Keal, plenty of grass areas right on the loch edge, watch an otter from your window we did on many ocassion.

a great place to spend a few days.

Shawn

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
we went from Lochaline to Mull last year, 6.30 meter coach built and I think the cost was £47 return

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok so got a hopscotch 7 ticket which gives me 3 ferry crossings to 3 different places .
Oban > craigmore
Tobermory > Kilchoan
Malliag > Armadale
7.2 Mh & 3 adults
Cost : £ 72.90
From tourist information

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we went from Lochaline to Mull last year, 6.30 meter coach built and I think the cost was £47 return

less than £30 now even with 2 passengers, the new fares really have brought things down and made it too popular by the sound of it

upload_2016-8-18_12-1-4.png

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ok so got a hopscotch 7 ticket which gives me 3 ferry crossings to 3 different places .
Oban > craigmore
Tobermory > Kilchoan
Malliag > Armadale
7.2 Mh & 3 adults
Cost : £ 72.90
From tourist information

that's a bargain, should have been nearer to £80

upload_2016-8-18_12-3-55.png

just so you realise, the last leg is on to Skye not back off it, you will have to drive over the bridge to get back (y)

now go and enjoy, I will be interested to see how busy you find Mull, we are doing similar week after next :)

edit - just read your post properly and checked prices for your length MH o_O

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
that's a bargain, should have been nearer to £80

View attachment 120477

just so you realise, the last leg is on to Skye not back off it, you will have to drive over the bridge to get back (y)

now go and enjoy, I will be interested to see how busy you find Mull, we are doing similar week after next :)

edit - just read your post properly and checked prices for your length MH o_O
Thanks , we only have the 1st hop booked for today around 4pm , the rest of the journey we will play it by ear :)
Thanks for the heads up

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
I booked a five leg Hopscotch ticket in May. When I checked the brochure price it was exactly the same as had I bought 5 single tickets.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We got a 5 day return, Lochaline to Fishnish last May for a 6.8 m van and two passengers for £35, didn't think it was too bad.

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
wow was thinking of going for a week next April/May, only been for the day so far and still to much still to see.
Did catch the back end subframe getting off the Coran ferry though so a bit nervous about using it again.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
My Hopscotch was Oban-Castlerbay, Barra-Eriskay, Berneray-Leverburgh, Tarbet-Uig, Armadale-Mallaig, £252 for 2 adults and a 7.5 mtr. van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back