BTFon login problems (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've just received some Solwise kit for my MH (Patriot antenna plus wifi repeater). I've set it up as instructed and can get the BT login screen . However I cannot get past the login page. I enter my user name and password (for my BT account) and it keeps telling me to check that I entered my details correctly. I can access my BT account through the login page (through the "trouble logging in") using the same login details and that works ok. It just won't work for logging into Fon. Anyone else had this problem?

Also, do I login to BT Broadband, BT Wifi or BT Fon on the login page? None of them accept my login details.

A bit confused!

Edit: I don't have a btinternet email account ( I haven't been told I have one). I'm registered using my gmail account.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you tried downloading the BT Smart Talk app?
I also have a Gmail account and can log into my BT account without issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you got the Fon part of your router enabled? If you don't have your home fon on you won't be able to log in to any other connection.
You should select BT fon.
I just have a fon router I'm not on BT never have problem getting on to BT fon connections.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I thought the login needed a BT email address, we had to create one for ours, but ours is a business account if that makes a difference, but I keep forgetting the BT email address as we never use it apart from logging on the FON

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I've just received some Solwise kit for my MH (Patriot antenna plus wifi repeater). I've set it up as instructed and can get the BT login screen . However I cannot get past the login page. I enter my user name and password (for my BT account) and it keeps telling me to check that I entered my details correctly. I can access my BT account through the login page (through the "trouble logging in") using the same login details and that works ok. It just won't work for logging into Fon. Anyone else had this problem?

Also, do I login to BT Broadband, BT Wifi or BT Fon on the login page? None of them accept my login details.

A bit confused!

Edit: I don't have a btinternet email account ( I haven't been told I have one). I'm registered using my gmail account.
Sorry don't follow your edit , if you have a bt account you will also have a btinternet email, and that is what you log in with, I have no problem with bt fon in this country but never got it to work in France , by the way I have found you can't connect to bt fon with your own router at home , only through other people's .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if using fon via your bt account you will need a bt email and password. from experience the bt tie in seems a bit unreliable. I have joined fon directly and installed the access point on my home broadband. the system checks this access point is live before allowing access away from home

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
If you are a recent BT customer you might need to prefix your BT ID (email address) with BT/

ie BT/joebloggs@hotmail.com

Pete

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sorry don't follow your edit , if you have a bt account you will also have a btinternet email, and that is what you log in with, I have no problem with bt fon in this country but never got it to work in France , by the way I have found you can't connect to bt fon with your own router at home , only through other people's .
If you are using a Alfa router from Solwise you probably have an IP conflict as the default LAN IP of the Alfa is in the same range as the WAN IP of French Fon. Just need to change the LAN IP of the router.
We have a high success rate with Fon in France.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

A bit confused!

If you have bt broadband at home , you log in to broadband , Bt.wifi doesn't work , and fon if you are away from your own router.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This maybe way off the mark , but if you are doing this at home, try moving down the road a bit till you get someone else's broadband then try fon.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
If you are using a Alfa router from Solwise you probably have an IP conflict as the default LAN IP of the Alfa is in the same range as the WAN IP of French Fon. Just need to change the LAN IP of the router.
We have a high success rate with Fon in France.

I can get to the BT login page where I enter my login details. I thought if there was an IP conflict that I would not get this far.

I'll try setting up a BT email. Certainly on my profile page I don't seem to have a Primary BT ID so maybe thats what it is. Seems strange that I can access my account with a non BT email address though.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I can get to the BT login page where I enter my login details. I thought if there was an IP conflict that I would not get this far.

I'll try setting up a BT email. Certainly on my profile page I don't seem to have a Primary BT ID so maybe thats what it is. Seems strange that I can access my account with a non BT email address though.
Keep us updated as I am a BT infinity customer and also have problems loggin in to BT hotpots. When out and about.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have never had problems logging into BT with FON logging in whilst in UK and again in France using SFR with FON. I have a FON router at home and use my login details.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
You login with your Mybt account email and password. I have different passwords for checking my bt emails and checking my bill, so it's the one you'd check your bill. If you moved to bt from a different provider when setting up the new account bt will let you use your old email account like Gmail as your bt main account login. You can get the bt wifi app on your phone/tablet and the try logging in on that (as a test) you should be able to login to any of the bt wifi, bt fon and bt hotspot. (I think getting the app will enroll you in on the fon, but not sure on that one its a bit late for me :) ) I have my own setup for Internet/wifi in the Mh and have had the occasional login problem which can be because of a week signal or just the system playing up, I then turn it off a restart it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I quoted Chaser & was replying to his post about logging on in France where French Fon IP range is the same as the default IP address of the Alpf router.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I was playing around with my phone (BT app removed) logging on to a local Fon. If I used the "BT Broadband" option on the login screen I could log in ok. If I used the "Fon" option I couldn't. Strange. That was just using my phone stand alone.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I was playing around with my phone (BT app removed) logging on to a local Fon. If I used the "BT Broadband" option on the login screen I could log in ok. If I used the "Fon" option I couldn't. Strange. That was just using my phone stand alone.
That's what I ment,

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'm asuming from what I discovered that it is asking for what kind of customer you are, not what you are connecting to. I have BT Broadband. I was at my daughter's last night and away from my broadband. registering as "BT Broadband" worked, as "Fon" it didn't. However I've not done enough tests to justify that completely. I'll be out and about again today so will try at another site.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Lenny, I set a different IP address anyway as we shall be in France next month. I did note the post about that somewhere. Also it was another straw to clutch at!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's very complicated and long story, and if you look back into threads history on here , you will find iv been trying to get to the bottom of this for the best part of four years, right , I have had btinternet and bt broadband right from when they first brought it out and had a bt email for as long.
I have jumped through all the hoops to get btfon to work, @Addie on here is an expert on it on here and has helped me quite a lot but I have never had much luck with it, and it's an absolute pain at times , when at home on iPad or phone the wifi indicater on the screen will sometimes show it's connected but it won't do anything, and when going into settings it will be connected to fon, so you have to unconnect it and connect to by bt broadband ,then it's ok again.
Now, if I am out and about and they find someone else's bt , they will come up with the login page that you mention and will connect to either fon or bt automatic , and that is fine in uk.
In France, I can useualy find a fon connection, and sometimes even get to a fon login page that asks for your bt password, but I have put it in till I am blue in the face and never, connected, apart from one time outside a cafe , when it connected for about thirty seconds before coming up with a message that I had too many devices connected and cut me off, and I only had my phone.
I have now compleatly give up on it as there is usually some other free wifi about in cafes and things or use the phone signal.
I have found life is just too short to spend it trying to sort out fon.(n):doh::(

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Typing this in my MH via wifi extender (Solwise) connected to Fon signal. I'm not sure how repeatable it is as this is the second attempt. First login attempt said check user name/password but doing it a second time was successful. However couldn't get any Web pages up. Logged on to another Fon signal and it worked. Thinking it may be something to do with signal strength maybe? I have the Patriot omnidirectional antenna (5dBi) and am a bit disappointed that I'm not seeing higher signal levels seeing as I'm in a built up area. Maybe I should have bought the unidirectional antenna. I'll see how it goes this weekend.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have you looked at the list of signals, is there just a bt broadband one, if there is try that, probably better.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
All the broadband signals were secure, not open. So not usable.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I seem to have finally cracked BT WiFi in the sense I can now log in to the BT WiFi at our local Tesco using the BT app on my smart phone. It has taken a lot of calls to BT to reach this stage!

Their system seems a bit broken. My home hub tells me BT WiFi is not enabled and this should mean I can't access BT WiFi - but I can. A web page which was supposed to allow me to check my WiFi status also gave me an error message.

We are off to France in a few weeks and it will be interesting to see if I can connect to FON. I've just built a wifi booster (same as the Motorhome WiFi one) and will give it a try - after a trial with it at Tesco! :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All the broadband signals were secure, not open. So not usable.[/QUOTE
Ok mate, I'll leave you to it, as I said before, it's done my head in and I'm not going to try with it anymore:(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I seem to have finally cracked BT WiFi in the sense I can now log in to the BT WiFi at our local Tesco using the BT app on my smart phone. It has taken a lot of calls to BT to reach this stage!

Their system seems a bit broken. My home hub tells me BT WiFi is not enabled and this should mean I can't access BT WiFi - but I can. A web page which was supposed to allow me to check my WiFi status also gave me an error message.

We are off to France in a few weeks and it will be interesting to see if I can connect to FON. I've just built a wifi booster (same as the Motorhome WiFi one) and will give it a try - after a trial with it at Tesco! :)
Yeah the bt app on a phone does work quite well, but does not connect to fon:doh:

Reactions: DBK

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

Good luck in France with the WiFi , let us know how you get on

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but you have to "opt in" to fon via your BT webpage, this is because you are agreeing to share part of your home bandwidth with other fon users, you can subscribe to fon without being a BT customer if all you want is wifi abroad, you do not have to use your BT email address, I use my hotmail address without problem.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but you have to "opt in" to fon via your BT webpage
I thought you were opted in by default and that you had to opt out if you didn't want it.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back