Internal evaporator fins (Fridge) removal for cleaning (1 Viewer)

pixer

Free Member
Jun 11, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Exp
Since 1982
Hi everybody
I am new to this Forum but not to motorhomes, having had several over 30 years. Have just purchased a almost new Burstner with a Dometic RM 8401 (MES). The problem is that we have accidently allowed some meat to defrost in the freezer compartment (long story) and meat juices have run everywhere inside the refridgerator part. After dismantling interior shelving and freezer compartment and repeated thorough cleaning have managed to remove most traces of residue except from behind the "post-evaporator" the bottom row of aluminium fins in the fridge compartment. Have researched these and they are available as spares along with the screws that, I presume, hold them in. Does anybody know if you can remove and replace these fins without damage to facilitate cleaning behind them? Have now placed several active carbon asbortion filters inside to try to alleviate the remaining odour! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They are coated liberally with a thermal paste on the back to transfer heat to the cooler. Quite a messy job to removed and replace. It's unlikely that and residue has penetrated the back

OP
OP
pixer

pixer

Free Member
Jun 11, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Exp
Since 1982
Thanks Techno for your prompt reply and the info. Do you have to replace with new thermal paste? Do you know if this is the same sort of paste that I have used for installing micro processors on their heat sinks? Is the whole back of the fin assembly covered in paste?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pixer

pixer

Free Member
Jun 11, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Exp
Since 1982
It is usually a white sticky grease/paste and if you are carefull with micro processors you can simply replace as long as there is no contamination of the surface with dust or dirt. From what you have said though if the whole of the plate is covered with the grease the meat juice residue would only be around the edges. So now knowing that, may revise and redo the cleaning there and not disturb the fins. Once again many thanks for the info.

OP
OP
pixer

pixer

Free Member
Jun 11, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Exp
Since 1982
Probably similar if it is a silicon thermal grease. Problems occur using old grease with CPU's depending on how old it is and any contamination, hairs, dust, grit, etc. Normal procedure with CPU's is to remove it all and thoroughly clean then reapply new grease to eliminate micro air bubble etc to facilitate maximum heat transferance to cooling fins or in fridge case I suppose from cooling fins.

OP
OP
pixer

pixer

Free Member
Jun 11, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Exp
Since 1982
Thanks
I think I will. Have just installed a microwave in my van and at present making more modifications so will probably need further assistance! Also will chip in if I can offer anything to some of the other threads. Have looked at some of your fun book marks and admire the photo quality. Have been to a number of the aires shown some many times. Le Crotoy can get busy! Apologies if this is getting off the point. This is not what this thread was about. So many thanks again for your assistance with the fridge info.
Le-Crotoy-Aire-collage3.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Go off all you want the questions been satisfied (y) nice pictures.
Le Crotoy in you top picture is looking remarkable tidy :LOL:
We have a member who was hit by lightening twice there :eek: @Taran_Las

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back