A canopy instead of wind-out awning? (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: Advice please fellow funsters :smiley: Over the years we have had and abandoned many awnings and then used a small utility tent. Every now and then we try our wind-out awning to sit under but the slightest bit of wind and we find ourselves worrying about it so wind it back in. We're off to France soon and expect the wind-out will probably be used more there but we still want something to keep the rain off while we dry dogs, to sit under out of the wind etc, in this country. Our utility tent gave up the ghost last year and we bought another drive-away awning which we don't attach because like all the others we've had it flaps and doesn't fit flush to the van even if we use the throw-over straps (which also flap and tap on the roof in a wind!!). Sooooo now we're thinking of a canopy having seen one on a caravan and thought that might just do the trick if we could get one that fits a van. We've been looking on line and came across Suncamp Swift canopy 260. Anyone else got the same idea or advice? :smiley:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi , I went for just a wind out canopy/ sun shade on my conversion.. no poles or support needed..
mine is a dometic, but im sure others do them..
can be wound out to whatever you need to get some shade, and find it handy in light rain to keep the van dry when door is open.. P1010163.JPG P1010166.JPG
ta andy

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: Thanks for that Andy, our van has a wind-out fitted so replacing it would be too much of a job and I think we would still worry about it taking off in a high wind. We seem to be unlucky when it comes to wind, whenever we wind-out the awing it gets gusty, don't think we've ever managed to use it for more than an hour or so before having to wind it in, that's why we're looking at something that will just keep off the rain and provide a bit of shelter without damaging the van if it does take off :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
:smiley: Thanks for that Andy, our van has a wind-out fitted so replacing it would be too much of a job and I think we would still worry about it taking off in a high wind. We seem to be unlucky when it comes to wind, whenever we wind-out the awing it gets gusty, don't think we've ever managed to use it for more than an hour or so before having to wind it in, that's why we're looking at something that will just keep off the rain and provide a bit of shelter without damaging the van if it does take off :smiley:
well I know what you mean, at the risk of embarrassing myself lol, I set off down the motorway in Germany with my canopy wound out about a foot, it was just enough to shade the door where I sat for a cup of tea..
forgot all about it and off I set, wondering what the noise was... took about 3 attempts at getting up to speed and having to slow down before the penny dropped.. thankfully its still there...
ta andy

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi Andy63 I was driving a vw camper along M6 a few years ago and went over a small bump in the road and the dormobile roof came up I had forgotten to batten it down when leaving the site about ten miles back it took me a few miles to twig why my speed had dropped, I had a few strange looks from passing drivers ;)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi. Guess you are used to gusty winds on the I of W but can't help thinking that you are being a bit too carefull with the wind out awning.
We have a Fiama 4mtr awning fitted to Elle, our 15 year old van. We use the awning in all but storm condition winds without any problems. If it is windy we tend to wind it in a bit and keep the height fairly low. If it's poring with rain then ensuring one leg is much lower than the other allows for water to run off quickly and not pool on the canvas. We peg the awning legs down and also use the feet plates but more importantly we use a storm strap if it gets really windy. Not only helps to hold it down but also helps to stop the canvas flapping. In addition we use the curved version of the centre support that creates a tight ridge on the centre line and also helps to stop the flapping. If there is any possibility of the wind getting bad we just wind it in. We sometimes use our wind netting which is great for reducing the breeze and drafts inside which also reduces the chance of the wind getting underneath the canopy and trying to lift it.
Not used the add on canopy so sorry, can't comment on it.
I guess the key is to keep your eye on the weather forecast and if in doubt, don't leave it out...! ( That sounds like a good little saying!) Hope this gives you some confidence to use the awning more, that's what it is for....( Oh, another saying!!)
Regards. Pete :smiley:

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
well I know what you mean, at the risk of embarrassing myself lol, I set off down the motorway in Germany with my canopy wound out about a foot, it was just enough to shade the door where I sat for a cup of tea..
forgot all about it and off I set, wondering what the noise was... took about 3 attempts at getting up to speed and having to slow down before the penny dropped.. thankfully its still there...
ta andy
:smiley: Don't be embarrassed, I did worse than that the weekend, we pitched up at a festival and decided to turn the van around for a bit more privacy so I hopped into van started to reverse and saw a sea of faces looking at me in astonishment - I forgot we had just wound out the awning. Hubby was stunned but stopped me before I did any damage :smiley: all a learning curve :smiley: but could have been a very expensive lesson :smiley:

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Hi. Guess you are used to gusty winds on the I of W but can't help thinking that you are being a bit too carefull with the wind out awning.
We have a Fiama 4mtr awning fitted to Elle, our 15 year old van. We use the awning in all but storm condition winds without any problems. If it is windy we tend to wind it in a bit and keep the height fairly low. If it's poring with rain then ensuring one leg is much lower than the other allows for water to run off quickly and not pool on the canvas. We peg the awning legs down and also use the feet plates but more importantly we use a storm strap if it gets really windy. Not only helps to hold it down but also helps to stop the canvas flapping. In addition we use the curved version of the centre support that creates a tight ridge on the centre line and also helps to stop the flapping. If there is any possibility of the wind getting bad we just wind it in. We sometimes use our wind netting which is great for reducing the breeze and drafts inside which also reduces the chance of the wind getting underneath the canopy and trying to lift it.
Not used the add on canopy so sorry, can't comment on it.
I guess the key is to keep your eye on the weather forecast and if in doubt, don't leave it out...! ( That sounds like a good little saying!) Hope this gives you some confidence to use the awning more, that's what it is for....( Oh, another saying!!)
Regards. Pete :smiley:
:smiley: Hear what you're saying :smiley: thanks :smiley:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy63 I was driving a vw camper along M6 a few years ago and went over a small bump in the road and the dormobile roof came up I had forgotten to batten it down when leaving the site about ten miles back it took me a few miles to twig why my speed had dropped, I had a few strange looks from passing drivers ;)

nice one :LOL: ..I wondered what the rest of the folk in the lay by must have thought about me as well... I also had the winding handle hanging from the canopy which most probably accounted for the banging...right plonker comes to mind , but thankfully no harm to van or anyone..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back