Wild Camping Problem In Worthing (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I've called, on a number of occasions, for people to identify plots of land in their local town (or a place they know through visiting) in order that approaches could be made to the owners regarding conversion into an aire type caravan site. From memory I think only two, maybe three, people responded. That's one of the reasons I've come to believe that there isn't really a large demand for them.

Whether people looked for places or not, I don't think that you would have got many replies simply because there are very few suitable central areas available. An out-of-town stopover on through routes is great for a motorhomer who just wants to break a journey for a few hours overnight, but does nothing for the local community. You have to get the occupants to stay long enough to spend some money and for that to happen, there has to be somewhere close at hand for them to spend it.

I wonder, do French communities provide aires because they expect people to spend money, or is it that so many French people have camping cars that it is a reciprocal arrangement - we'll provide an aire here because we all use aires everywhere else?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Whether people looked for places or not, I don't think that you would have got many replies simply because there are very few suitable central areas available.
Much more likely is that many people simply aren't interested when it comes to acting.
An out-of-town stopover on through routes is great for a motorhomer who just wants to break a journey for a few hours overnight, but does nothing for the local community. You have to get the occupants to stay long enough to spend some money and for that to happen, there has to be somewhere close at hand for them to spend it.
I think we just closed the circle :)
I wonder, do French communities provide aires because they expect people to spend money, or is it that so many French people have camping cars that it is a reciprocal arrangement - we'll provide an aire here because we all use aires everywhere else?
More to do with the many differences between the UK and France, not least that vehicle camping in the UK developed mainly using towed caravans and in France using camping cars.

OP
OP
S
Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Lennyhb is quite right about motorhome owners not understanding the "Cars only" parking sign 0n parts of Worthing sea front.
Some while ago the owner of a VW conversion was ticketed by one of our vigilant wardens although the van fitted well inside the marked bay area. The case and picture were shown in the local paper.
I sent a copy to Mike Jago at MMM and he commented that he wondered if the sign was legal.
Motorhomes are often seen parked along that stretch of road and it does look as if some might stay the night.
All a bit risky when some of our local youths seem to have an ample supply of ammunition with the pebbles on the beach for breaking windows.
The swimming pool and parked coaches have suffered damage.
The area around Broadwater Green on the A24 leading out of town also appears to be becoming a favoured parking spot for some motorhomes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The area around Broadwater Green on the A24 leading out of town also appears to be becoming a favoured parking spot for some motorhomes.
They appear to be permanent residents like that awful mess along Hove seafront on the A259 just past Boundry Road.

This is a Google streets view it's far worse in real life there at least 4 tatty old RV parked a couple on each side of the road.
Capture3.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Just picking up on the cost point, Jim, I wonder (because I genuinely don't know) is it really cheaper? How much is the return channel crossing, for instance, which would have to be averaged out over the number of nights?

Yes definitely much cheaper across the channel, especially if its for months rather than a week or so.
Just our opinion from our limited experience, others may disagree but we could not afford UK site prices for long.
Also you do get a lot more for less, sunshine & scenery, wine, beer, cheese. Christ I'm gaining weight just thinking about it:D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes definitely much cheaper across the channel, especially if its for months rather than a week or so.
Just our opinion from our limited experience, others may disagree but we could not afford UK site prices for long.
Also you do get a lot more for less, sunshine & scenery, wine, beer, cheese. Christ I'm gaining weight just thinking about it:D
That's if you like their wine, beer and cheese :D
Obviously the cost per day of the crossing will be averaged out at less if one is there for months but that is another point.
What I was wanting to know was the cost of a return crossing so that I could average it out over the sort of 2 to 4 week trip we might make as a norm.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

@GJH
Just picking up on the cost point, Jim, I wonder (because I genuinely don't know) is it really cheaper? How much is the return channel crossing, for instance, which would have to be averaged out over the number of nights?

We don't drink, so no saving there, French cheeses are ok if you like soft .. good hard cheeses are very expensive.. have never found food shopping in France cheaper.. in fact many every day food items cost more.. but that said.. it's not just about cost.. if it were I doubt we would go.. Fuel is a tad cheaper but not a reason to go there.. just a bonus.

It's about culture, good weather, attitude toward motorhomers, an abundance of great aires to choose from, the laid back style of touring that needs no forward planning, no need to book up sites, much quieter roads.
Compared to the UK France is a big country.. from the snow capped Alps in the East to the wild Atlantic in the West.. Mountains, gorges, lakes, forests.. it's all there and generally with great weather..

You could visit it every year and never need to see any place twice.We 'lived' there for over a year while full time , and only saw a fraction..

Ferry prices vary greatly, depending on time of year and what time you cross .. we use the tunnel for convenience .. which is the more expensive option.

So it's not just about cost.. in fact, it has little to do with it..

I have been taking trips to France since the early 70s .. first trip was in an MG Midget with a small two man tent..

Do I love France.. yes.. you bet .. am I biased.. probably :LOL:

Somewhere in the French Alps with my first wife, 1971..

BROKEN LINK

BROKEN LINK

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ferry prices vary greatly, depending on time of year and what time you cross .. we use the tunnel for convenience .. which is the more expensive option.
Let's say, then, a 3 week trip starting mid May and a 4 week trip starting mid July :) Those equate to our last trip and next planned extended one.
I totally agree that it isn't just cost. Personally I can't stand wine or French cheeses and I've never had any inclination to go abroad so have the opposite "bias" :LOL:. There is plenty of fine scenery in the UK and, as I said in my Broken Link Removed, finding a warm welcome isn't a problem.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've never had any inclination to go abroad

so you can't make any objective comparison.

I also love the UK and the scenery, but the weather is such a gamble, and beautiful scenery and a warm welcome lose their charm when it's peeing down .. so France makes sense for the annual holiday.. We wouldn't travel to France for less than two weeks.. would make no economic sense..

all I can say Graham, is give France a whirl.. .. try three week holiday to say Brittany, or wherever takes your fancy.. I promise you won't be disappointed.. you may even enjoy it.. .. :D

Reactions: DBK

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I also love the UK and the scenery, but the weather is such a gamble, and beautiful scenery and a warm welcome lose their charm when it's peeing down .. so France makes sense for the annual holiday.. We wouldn't travel to France for less than two weeks.. would make no economic sense..

all I can say Graham, is give France a whirl.. .. try three week holiday to say Brittany, or wherever takes your fancy.. I promise you won't be disappointed.. you may even enjoy it.. .. :D
I might enjoy it, Jim, but why take the risk when I know I will enjoy a holiday in the UK? :D

Preference for different places is personal and perfectly valid - but is a different point from one being cheaper than the other :D

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Well - this is one of our favourite spots for sunday lunch. We have never stayed overnight but often go there for a few hours on a Sunday. We often sit out with table and chairs on the green and have lunch. I have noticed there are a couple of Motorhomes which appear to be more permanent. I have also seen people arrive in small vans and cars and then get out blankets and even barbeques and have picnics there but have never heard anyone complain.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
but is a different point from one being cheaper than the other

indeed, but already said it wasn't about cost Graham.. post #38 ..

I know some harp on about how cheap aires are.. many free , and yes they are great, and who doesn't like free ?
But even if there were no aires, France would still be a great place to travel with a motorhome..

put it this way
.. it's like being loyal to only one make of beer when there are hundreds to try..
it tastes great.. until you try better .. ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

We wouldn't travel to France for less than two weeks.. would make no economic sense..

At the other extreme I needed to pick up some bits for the van last year we did a 24 hour crossing return ferry was £30 the saving in a tank of Diesel nearly paid for that. 5 pm ferry from Dover, spent the evening in Ypres where the Belgium heat of the European rally had pit's & start line in the town square, visited dealer in the morning, on the way back visited an historic windmill had lunch there, went on to a hill top town (yes in northern France!) another windmill & gardens back to Calais for 6:30pm ferry.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
indeed, but already said it wasn't about cost Graham.. post #38 ..

I know some harp on about how cheap aires are.. many free , and yes they are great, and who doesn't like free ?
But even if there were no aires, France would still be a great place to travel with a motorhome..

put it this way
.. it's like being loyal to only one make of beer when there are hundreds to try..
it tastes great.. until you try better .. ;)
I know you've said it isn't all about cost, Jim, and I agree with you.
However, my question was originally in response to you saying "going abroad is not only cheaper but more inviting than touring in many areas of the UK" :) One or two other people have since made similar statements - and, on a number of occasions in the past people have said something similar to me.

I don't dispute, for one minute, that France has attractions which many people enjoy and I'm happy for them that they do enjoy them but when somebody tries to persuade me on the basis that it is also cheaper I take a lot of convincing :)

Look at it another way. If we did go for a three week holiday in Brittany that would be a maximum of 19 nights in France, given the distance necessary to get from home to the Channel and back. Taking the previously quoted figure of €3.60 per night against the tenner a night we spent that would give a saving of around £150-£160 if my maths is correct and ignoring the extra diesel costs for the extra mileage. Is that sufficient for a return crossing by ferry or tunnel in May/June or July/August?

At the end of the day, though, so long as we all enjoy what we choose to do, and harm nobody doing it, who cares? :D

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I am really surprised GJH -That with all your experience you havent tried France.

I prefer France to England and have done for some time. It is cheaper for our holidays (and I do have figures to demonstrate it. But that isnt the point. Its so easy - as long as you avoid the July August break, you can change your mind on the very day and turn up at an aire without a reservation, pay for it(if neccesary) as you go and move on when you like. The roads you are travelling on are empty compared to ours and you can easily find places that are close to where you want to be in most cases.

I know and am grateful for all the hard work you have put into your parking site but somehow the UK just isnt interested. It amazes me that every time Im at calais ( except yesterday perhaps) there are lots and lots of UK MHs travelling, but the UK still doesnt seem to care.

Jon

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am really surprised GJH -That with all your experience you havent tried France.

I prefer France to England and have done for some time. It is cheaper for our holidays (and I do have figures to demonstrate it. But that isnt the point. Its so easy - as long as you avoid the July August break, you can change your mind on the very day and turn up at an aire without a reservation, pay for it(if neccesary) as you go and move on when you like. The roads you are travelling on are empty compared to ours and you can easily find places that are close to where you want to be in most cases.

I know and am grateful for all the hard work you have put into your parking site but somehow the UK just isnt interested. It amazes me that every time Im at calais ( except yesterday perhaps) there are lots and lots of UK MHs travelling, but the UK still doesnt seem to care.

Jon
I haven't tried France because it simply doesn't attract me sufficiently to do so when I can easily find somewhere that does in the UK.

Our last trip was 15th May to 7th June (i.e. including BH weekend and half term holiday) when we decided from day to day on whether we would stay where we were or move on, without any reservations. We plan on being away from 17th July to 17th August when we will do the same thing. In both cases time on the road is far less than time camped so empty roads or not isn't all that relevant. Access to public transport was easy so we could get where we wanted to be.

That the UK (its motorhomers anyway) doesn't care, though, is bang on. The vast majority of UK motorhomers will use overnight stops if somebody has set them up for them but if it comes to helping create them then they don't care to participate :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The vast majority of UK motorhomers will use overnight stops if somebody has set them up for them but if it comes to helping create them then they don't care to participate :)

Yes, I would agree with both parts of your statement.. at last :D

Reactions: GJH
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
[QUOTE="GJH, post: 1462091, member: 127". The vast majority of UK motorhomers will use overnight stops if somebody has set them up for them but if it comes to helping create them then they don't care to participate :)[/QUOTE]

The same with voting in those who govern.That's why you end up with the half-wits & those devoid of any common sense.

My cost for the ferry last year was £44 each way . That was before dfds changed the length ,width , height measurements . So for me , coming from the other direction,
I have to add that to any UK site prices ( if I ever used one :))

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The same with voting in those who govern.That's why you end up with the half-wits & those devoid of any common sense.

My cost for the ferry last year was £44 each way . That was before dfds changed the length ,width , height measurements . So for me , coming from the other direction,
I have to add that to any UK site prices ( if I ever used one :))
Thanks for the price and the mention of DFDS. I put our measurements into their booking system for our next planned trip and to be anywhere near convenient times it would be £234 return Dover to Calais.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We've got off the Worthing post now haven't we:) & now we're having a natter about the merits of crossing the Chanel .
Ok so, our outward ferry for up to 7m van, 2 adults + 1 dog was £24 with myferrylink.com last October . Dfds has bought them out now so that probably won't be available again:(.
Our return trip via the Chunnel was £125, so £149 in total seem'd ok to me.
Also the cost was heavily watered down by the length of time we were able to stay and regardless of what some say, we found it genuinely MUCH cheaper to feed & entertain ourselves . In fact during the 5 months we were out we kept a close eye on our bank account via Internet (usually free) and were amazed that our income was actually staying in the bank for longer than if we were at home just watching the telly!!!
God knows how we managed it but it's true. We couldn't tour the UK for such a long time & stay solvent.
Regarding the UK not caring. I know that GJH has a fantastic parking website & has put an awful lot of graft into it, he's as close to an expert on the subject as we're likely to find. But I don't think that the lack of vision on the part of UK local authorities is really down to us being too bone idle to help ourselves. Yes I've only fired off one letter myself, but it felt worth doing, guess what, no reply ( Lake District parks auth. I think it was).
I believe that the powers that be in this country would rather not bother unless there is a financial killing to be made. After all most stuff connected to the leisure industry over here is vastly over priced.
Sorry about the rant, it's only an opinion, we all have a bias towards our own preferences;)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks for the price and the mention of DFDS. I put our measurements into their booking system for our next planned trip and to be anywhere near convenient times it would be £234 return Dover to Calais.

Well I normally pay £50 each way.

Last thurday I travelled from Calais to Dover at 12.35 midday, 7m a class £48 booked three days before

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've got off the Worthing post now haven't we:) & now we're having a natter about the merits of crossing the Chanel .
Ok so, our outward ferry for up to 7m van, 2 adults + 1 dog was £24 with myferrylink.com last October . Dfds has bought them out now so that probably won't be available again:(.
Our return trip via the Chunnel was £125, so £149 in total seem'd ok to me.
Also the cost was heavily watered down by the length of time we were able to stay and regardless of what some say, we found it genuinely MUCH cheaper to feed & entertain ourselves . In fact during the 5 months we were out we kept a close eye on our bank account via Internet (usually free) and were amazed that our income was actually staying in the bank for longer than if we were at home just watching the telly!!!
God knows how we managed it but it's true. We couldn't tour the UK for such a long time & stay solvent.
Regarding the UK not caring. I know that GJH has a fantastic parking website & has put an awful lot of graft into it, he's as close to an expert on the subject as we're likely to find. But I don't think that the lack of vision on the part of UK local authorities is really down to us being too bone idle to help ourselves. Yes I've only fired off one letter myself, but it felt worth doing, guess what, no reply ( Lake District parks auth. I think it was).
I believe that the powers that be in this country would rather not bother unless there is a financial killing to be made. After all most stuff connected to the leisure industry over here is vastly over priced.
Sorry about the rant, it's only an opinion, we all have a bias towards our own preferences;)
I obviously don't know how you contacted the Lake District NPA but if it was an information request then they should have responded by law. If it was just something which could have been taken as an observation then they might have thought it didn't need a reply. It's also important to realise that NPAs are different from local councils. As such they are subject to the same caravan site licensing regime as any private business/individual.

When I contacted the Lake District NPA to ask them to proactively publish information on motorhome parking (not camping), Broken Link Removed was the result.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We will prob sail out again on august bank holiday Monday and would expect to pay the same. If you re wavering try ferrysavers but book singles in euros.

Unless you fancy going tomorrow. bargains to be had there I suspect.

Jon

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Two problems in this crowded island:
Lack of imagination & lack of enforcement.
Simply, MH'ers should be "moved on" after "parking" for 24hrs.
Britstops wouldn't work if everyone overstayed their welcome.
If enforcement was applied then council carparks could be utilised during "dead time".
I've been looking at visiting the Cotswolds, a pretty packed expensive part of the UK... yet a (private) tourist carpark generates itself some extra money revenue when it would otherwise be empty by allowing " overnight parking".
Still there after 9am? Then the clock starts ticking at the standard short stay tariffs.
Surely if supermarket carparks fine customers for overstaying its not beyond the wit of man to stop the minority of MH'ers abusing parking facilities.
?????

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
you can fit the entire population of the UK on to the isle of wight:coffee:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Two problems in this crowded island:
Lack of imagination & lack of enforcement.
Simply, MH'ers should be "moved on" after "parking" for 24hrs.
Britstops wouldn't work if everyone overstayed their welcome.
If enforcement was applied then council carparks could be utilised during "dead time".
I've been looking at visiting the Cotswolds, a pretty packed expensive part of the UK... yet a (private) tourist carpark generates itself some extra money revenue when it would otherwise be empty by allowing " overnight parking".
Still there after 9am? Then the clock starts ticking at the standard short stay tariffs.
Surely if supermarket carparks fine customers for overstaying its not beyond the wit of man to stop the minority of MH'ers abusing parking facilities.
?????
We've visited the Cotswolds a few times and had no problems staying at CLs, meets and THSs. Part of our July/August trip will include the Cotswolds again. Both the C&CC and MCC run quite a number of THSs and meets in the region.

A private car park is quite at liberty to generate extra revenue by allowing overnight parking but, unless they strictly enforce the 28 day rule, its owners break the law if they allow overnight camping without a caravan site licence. They might get away with it for the time being but they always run a risk (which is why the likes of supermarket and pub chains will never officially sanction it).

As regards using council car parks during "dead time" it all depends on what that is. If car parks are busy with commuter and shopper traffic between 7am and 7pm (say) would the "dead time" be sufficient for overnight campers? If anyone knows of a council car park which (on the face of it) is suitable, though, then why not contact the council concerned and start a dialogue with them about allowing overnight camping there?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
....If anyone knows of a council car park which (on the face of it) is suitable, though, then why not contact the council concerned and start a dialogue with them about allowing overnight camping there?
Sounds like a good sensible idea - but realistically we are travellers, transients, just passing through... So unlikely to take on the bureaucracy of local authorities to pursue a cause locally in an area we might not visit again.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sounds like a good sensible idea - but realistically we are travellers, transients, just passing through... So unlikely to take on the bureaucracy of local authorities to pursue a cause locally in an area we might not visit again.

And there lies the dilemma I guess.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back