Uprating Weight (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I agree that sometimes it can be worthwhile getting the experts involved. My 'classic' Hymer on a Fiat chassis is plated at only 3100 kg. It has air assisted suspension and SvTech have just told me that it can be replated at 3500kg without further modification. That is a tremendous increase in payload and a lot would say worth paying their fee of about £300. What would the fine be if VOSA found I was overweight at one of their regular scrutinising locations?
got to be 5% over & on total + at least 1 axle. Then
Vehicle overweight by Penalty
5% to 10% £100
10% to 15% £200
15% to 30% £300
More than 30% Court summons

+as a poster pointed out if you are under on both axles but over on gross they won't do anything.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How much time do you anticipate spending on it @MinxyGirl ?

I guess its all a personal evaluation.
Surely its a balance between paying a premium for convenience and/or simplicity & speed versus what do you value your time at and/or the ability to afford that premium.

Even if you can do the job, sometimes its just better vfm to get an expert in.
A few emails and probably a couple of phone conversations to possibly save £300+ ... hmmm let me think about that ... :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its interesting reading some comments on this thread ... many suggesting just paying SVTech to do it ... if I was minded that way then I wouldn't have bothered installing my Gaslow system, fitting carpeting, making my own seat covers to protect the original furnishings (nearly finished and they look fantastic even if I do say so myself!). As my intention is to do the next lot of jobs myself too - putting on a reversing camera, reversing sensors, solar panel - instead if I really wanted to 'waste money' for the sake of it, I could pay others to do these things ... but why? I'm quite capable of doing them and am more than prepared to spend the time doing so (they'll take a lot longer to do than sorting out the upgrade) so spending a bit of time to save some money and also do something which I should be able to (others have done it apparently) then why not.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
A few emails and probably a couple of phone conversations to possibly save £300+ ... hmmm let me think about that ... :rolleyes:
Wasn't a challenge :(
Genuinely idly curious as to how long it takes - in total - but it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing & what forms to complete etcetera etcetera.
A garage can change my oil & filters far more efficiently than I could first time - but for me, though I moan about the cost, it's a no brainer for me to pay the price rather than attempting it myself.
Some of us are practically & technically minded, and some of us [me] aren't.
I was well chuffed at my success at swapping halogen for led's - but that's about my limit :).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Wasn't a challenge :(
Genuinely idly curious as to how long it takes - in total - but it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing & what forms to complete etcetera etcetera.
A garage can change my oil & filters far more efficiently than I could first time - but for me, though I moan about the cost, it's a no brainer for me to pay the price rather than attempting it myself.
I draw the line at getting my hands dirty! :D

Seriously though, if I can do the upgrade myself then I will, if not then we'll probably wait awhile and see how we get on with the existing payload as we should have more than enough for now so are just looking at doing it more as a 'just in case' exercise rather than as a necessity - we still need to get the van fully sorted/packed and take it to the weighbridge to confirm anyway but I can't see that we'll be over 3500kg. If however we DO find we are too close to the MTPLM for comfort, and I am NOT able to do the upgrade myself, then we might indeed go via SVTech.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
5% to 10% £100
10% to 15% £200
15% to 30% £300

+as a poster pointed out if you are under on both axles but over on gross they won't do anything.
Thanks for the information. Well, on the assumption that I would be 10% overweight that would cost me £100. Maybe paying the Svtech fee of £300 is not a good gamble considering I have not been checked for weight in the last 5 years but I would consider the fee worthwhile for peace of mind. However, considering the vehicle is unchanged apart from a new metal plate it all seems crazy. Why did not Hymer plate the vehicle properly when manufactured?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all to do with tax brackets or licensing in many eu countries .
plus you bought it . perhaps more homework by the buyers would have helped .

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
all to do with tax brackets or licensing in many eu countries .
plus you bought it . perhaps more homework by the buyers would have helped .
Yes, I bought it so maybe £300 is a modest sum to achieve the payload I need. I have no quibbles about that.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it wasnt meant as your fault but a general buyers buy without thinking .
i worded it badly.
buying the right m,home does take a bit of working out i grant you.
fifth wheeler is the way you can have loads of payload.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
it wasnt meant as your fault but a general buyers buy without thinking .
i worded it badly.
buying the right m,home does take a bit of working out i grant you.
fifth wheeler is the way you can have loads of payload.
It was my fault because I believed the seller when he said it was rated at 3500kg. I should have looked at the plate!!! So, all buyers should check the plate!!!:cry:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
OK,
Ive been away a few days. On arrival home I found I had received my new plate complete with the relevant paperwork to send off with my V5 for it to be changed to the new weight, and all the instructions on exactly what to do, Once I fix the new plate in my van I am legal at the new weight. All in less than a week.
My thanks need to go to Gareth at SVTech for an extremely fast and efficient service.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Do DVLA notify VOSA of the new details or do you have to produce all the documentation for them if they put you on the weighbridge?

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
My hymer is plated at 3500kg just weighed fully loaded 3520kg my rear axle weight is 2000kg front 1850kg so the total is 3850kg I think it must have been down plated but how can I be over weight when I am under the axle weight

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Do DVLA notify VOSA of the new details or do you have to produce all the documentation for them if they put you on the weighbridge?
they are both at swansea . as far as i know in the same building.but these days the web is the king.
but all the details will be on the new plate . and in the ideal world on your log book.
if stopped on the road they look at the plate . and use the web these days .

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
My hymer is plated at 3500kg just weighed fully loaded 3520kg my rear axle weight is 2000kg front 1850kg so the total is 3850kg I think it must have been down plated but how can I be over weight when I am under the axle weight
It is my understanding that the maximum vehicle weight is not necessarily the sum of the two axle weights. Mine is not.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
axle weights are all ways heavier when added together than the gvw . thats to allow for loading and unloading . as you load or unload at several delivery places the weights goes crazy.

t_rifles

Free Member
Feb 18, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Well on the way home today we stopped to weigh our Globecar Campscout. It is 3l Comfortmatic, tow bar, 2nd battery, fiamma awning, drive away awning, 120l full tank, 2 adults and a teenager. We had 50% waste water and a bit of fresh left (too busy at waste point this morning). The weight, 3585. Doh!.

We will need to uprate as well. We only had a few things for a three night stay, no bike carrier or bikes. Not what I'd hoped for.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Well on the way home today we stopped to weigh our Globecar Campscout. It is 3l Comfortmatic, tow bar, 2nd battery, fiamma awning, drive away awning, 120l full tank, 2 adults and a teenager. We had 50% waste water and a bit of fresh left (too busy at waste point this morning). The weight, 3585. Doh!.

We will need to uprate as well. We only had a few things for a three night stay, no bike carrier or bikes. Not what I'd hoped for.
I can strongly recommend SVTech. Why not give them a bell and have a chat with Gareth, Im sure he will give good advice.

t_rifles

Free Member
Feb 18, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Filling the form in now. I'll call them tomorrow first, but is there any reason not to go to the max? Is there another rule list at 4005kg? I've seen some vans showing this weight.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you need tyre info etc possible there may be other things to change .
cant tell with out all the facts .

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
5% to 10% £100
10% to 15% £200
15% to 30% £300

Out of interest, what happens if you are over on one axle, but under on gross?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you either move things around . or possibly if over 5% be prohibited from further travel till its under the weights usually if more than 10% a prosecution will follow.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
SVTECH are highly respected at DVSA for their expertise and knowledge which is why things get done when you use them.
That wasn't the case with the DVSA official at P/boro, who got the ball rolling for me John. Far from it. :(
When I mentioned that SVTech didn't want to know about my EU Type Approved Goldschmitt front suspension upgrade, he wasn't surprised, and he didn't have a good word to say about them at all. :eek:
It was SVTechs attitude and dismissal of my front suspension upgrade, and their insistence that they only up plate on the rear axles @ £320 plus, which made me do what Mel (MinxyGirl) is trying to do now.
It worked for me, as I got the end result, (up plated from 4500kgs to 5000kgs), and half of the initial £25 fee they charged, refunded. (y)

If I want to up plate further using the allowance on the rear axles, (2 x 250kgs = 500kgs) I won't be going anywhere near SVTech, until I have exhausted the Hymer route, and/or the DVSA route, however, I do appreciate that things may have changed at DVSA, since they last assisted me.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back