Newbee Question On Using A Phone For Data (1 Viewer)

sammypvt

Free Member
Apr 25, 2015
leeds
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
I am new on here and this is my first post so be gentle.

I have an I phone 4 which I use giffgaff on o2. I get the £15 top up package every month (pay as you go, no contracts) which gives me all the minutes and texts I can use plus 5 gig of data usage. I connect my phone to my laptop using the personal hotspot feature but sometimes the 3g network isn't available or is very slow as I wild camp with my local DA in fields.

My question is how can I make my signal stronger. I keep seeing people saying use a booster or an external aerial but the language seems to leave me confused. Has anyone any simple advice as opposed to tech jargon that leaves us OAP's scratching our heads.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi and welcome from Devon

I used to have a giffgaff sim with same package and found signal was rubbish and non existent in places .so now have a 3 sim and have used it both home and abroad (France & Spain now on feel at home same cost as UK)
They,r fine in UK ,& when abroad I put sim into tablet and no probs.
Also have a Toggle sim for use where 3 is low on signal ,just used on recent trip back from Germany .
Works for me
animated-gif-emoticons.jpg

Using 3 now tethered,have duel sim phone

OP
OP
S

sammypvt

Free Member
Apr 25, 2015
leeds
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Hi and welcome from Devon

I used to have a giffgaff sim with same package and found signal was rubbish and non existent in places .so now have a 3 sim and have used it both home and abroad (France & Spain now on feel at home same cost as UK)
They,r fine in UK ,& when abroad I put sim into tablet and no probs.
Also have a Toggle sim for use where 3 is low on signal ,just used on recent trip back from Germany .
Works for me View attachment 61652

Using 3 now tethered,have duel sim phone

Ive been told that the EE network sell a 15 gig data only sim which lasts for 90 days. This would suit me as I wont have a contract. Are there any better deals out there which give better reception and usage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You can buy a 24g EE data sim on EBay for around £64 which last for 12 months or until all data expired ,not used it myself so don't know its worth ,or a 12g 3 data sim around the same price put intoa MiFi unit works very well (y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
+1 for 3 data sim..
We use an external aerial on our 4g router which helps us.. But as JJ said.. Motorhome wifi are an authority in these things

OP
OP
S

sammypvt

Free Member
Apr 25, 2015
leeds
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
I think the OP already has a data SIM but wants to know how to make a weak 3g network signal stronger.

www.motorhomewifi.com sell various devices to do this...

An excellent company... and Funsters too!

JJ :cool:

This is what I was looking for but its the price of one that's worrying me. Will mission control go for it or will I have to go undercover again and take it on the chin, lol.

Reactions: JJ

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Well I have an i boost but don't use it as I have a '3' all you can eat data I don't see how it can help boost the signal I already get from my sim card.
I'm not trying to use someone else's Wi Fi, that's when it would help. With permission of course.

OP
OP
S

sammypvt

Free Member
Apr 25, 2015
leeds
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Well I have an i boost but don't use it as I have a '3' all you can eat data I don't see how it can help boost the signal I already get from my sim card.
I'm not trying to use someone else's Wi Fi, that's when it would help. With permission of course.

Ive sent you a private message

OP
OP
S

sammypvt

Free Member
Apr 25, 2015
leeds
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
+1 for 3 data sim..
We use an external aerial on our 4g router which helps us.. But as JJ said.. Motorhome wifi are an authority in these things

What kind of external aerial do you use if you don't mind me asking. There so many out there, lol.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It's made by solwise and seems to improve things.. But there's quite a bit of techy stuff re external aerials for 4g and 3g that I'm not sure about so your best speaking to a professional tbh...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back