Lascaux Prehistoric Cave Paintings site Dordogne (1 Viewer)

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Hi everyone we are intending to visit friends at Chatillon Sur Indre near Chatearoux and fancy going South West down to the above world heritage site not far from Montignac to the East Of Bordeaux, Does anyone have any experience of the Lascaux site and any suitable Aires or sites to stay overnight?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Lascaux - well worth a visit - utterly worth the dosh. English tours are usually available and in busy times (school hols, summer anyway and of course Bank hols) you have to book at the TO - but they should also be able to tell you what times the English tour is available. Fascinating.

We both feel certain we've been to Montignac - but the aire pictures in the book don't look familiar.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We went many years ago. I think we stayed at a campsite in the town and I remember we bought tickets for the caves in the town it was all well signposted!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes we have have done those on various tours in the area.....worth a look!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's actual name is Lascaux II, and (as mentioned above) it's a faithful underground replica of the original cave which is too fragile to admit visitors. You can't buy tickets on site - you have to get them in Montignac first. On our last visit there wasn't much MH parking near the town centre so I dropped Mrs MSB off and parked the MH down the road while she got the tickets, then drove back to pick her up. MH parking is available at Lascaux II, and there are English language tours every now and again.

There's a designated MH parking area in Montignac beside the river but we couldn't work out whether overnight stopping was permitted or not. We weren't that bothered as we much prefer the grassy aire at Les Eyzies de Tayac Sirieul which is about half an hour down the road. You'll also find the French National Museum of Prehistory at Les Eyzies, and a number of significant cave sites like Abri Pataud and Font de Gaume (original art, so limited visitor numbers) if you're into that sort of thing (we are). The village is calm and pleasant, with a variety of good eateries. I would go so far as to say that the aire there is one of our all-time favourites.

If you take time to visit the Grotte de Rouffignac, as mentioned by Pikeman, you'll see original ice age cave art of Mammoths, Woolly Rhinos and others, along with cave bear dens. That is by far and away our favourite prehistoric cave site.

If having a favourite prehistoric cave site sounds in any way sad, I don't care :)

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes overnight parking is allowed near the river, and on the one in the centre of Martignac on the carpark where they hold the market, but of course you won't get on that one if the market's on. We preferred the river one - which actually is virtually opposite the campsite which was closed because as I said it was out of season. Which is the same time as when you can buy your tickets in the shop at the caves !

We had a belting 'set' dinner at the Hotel du Grotte in the village - very nice.

Pech Merle is supposed to be good too, anyone been there?

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Just to let you know the original caves are closed - the ones visitors see are reproductions.
Understandable but it might just be important to you...
http://www.francethisway.com/places/lascauxcaves.php
Thanks Langtoftlad, I hadn't appreciated this point and thank you for bringing it to my attention. I may opt to go to the original cave sites mentioned below. I can understand why the originals are protected since I understand that they are even affected by the breath of visitors fading the colours. I have met a few campers with this type of breath and this is probably quite likely. Thanks Jon

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
We went to a cave near Souillac, they are/were one of the few that let you see the real thing. I will try and find the guide book.
Many thanks a bit of detail would be most welcomed if not too much trouble.
Regards
Jon

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
It's actual name is Lascaux II, and (as mentioned above) it's a faithful underground replica of the original cave which is too fragile to admit visitors. You can't buy tickets on site - you have to get them in Montignac first. On our last visit there wasn't much MH parking near the town centre so I dropped Mrs MSB off and parked the MH down the road while she got the tickets, then drove back to pick her up. MH parking is available at Lascaux II, and there are English language tours every now and again.

There's a designated MH parking area in Montignac beside the river but we couldn't work out whether overnight stopping was permitted or not. We weren't that bothered as we much prefer the grassy aire at Les Eyzies de Tayac Sirieul which is about half an hour down the road. You'll also find the French National Museum of Prehistory at Les Eyzies, and a number of significant cave sites like Abri Pataud and Font de Gaume (original art, so limited visitor numbers) if you're into that sort of thing (we are). The village is calm and pleasant, with a variety of good eateries. I would go so far as to say that the aire there is one of our all-time favourites.

If you take time to visit the Grotte de Rouffignac, as mentioned by Pikeman, you'll see original ice age cave art of Mammoths, Woolly Rhinos and others, along with cave bear dens. That is by far and away our favourite prehistoric cave site.

If having a favourite prehistoric cave site sounds in any way sad, I don't care :)
Excellent information that is much appreciated and yes I think Deb and I fall into the saddo but don't care category as well. Nothing wrong with a bit of culture, clearly even the cave dwellers had more than some I have met !!!

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Yes overnight parking is allowed near the river, and on the one in the centre of Martignac on the carpark where they hold the market, but of course you won't get on that one if the market's on. We preferred the river one - which actually is virtually opposite the campsite which was closed because as I said it was out of season. Which is the same time as when you can buy your tickets in the shop at the caves !

We had a belting 'set' dinner at the Hotel du Grotte in the village - very nice.

Pech Merle is supposed to be good too, anyone been there?
Thank you Sedge much appreciated. Jon

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
The Lascaux caves may be replicas but after 30 seconds inside you have completely forgotten that fact. Even the temperature is consistent with the real thing.
We have been several times to take visitors and it never fails that I spot something not noticed before.
I know it's about 50 miles away but if you have time and inclination a visit to the Gouffre de Padirac is superb.
This is their website: http://www.gouffre-de-padirac.com/#/en

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'd second the Gouffre de Padirac recommendation - no prehistoric art but a very unusual cave. There's a huge cavern the height of a cathedral dome which is worth the visit alone, plus all the other bits. No problem parking a MH nearby.

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Greetings from the Montignac 2 Aire (as the All the Aires book has it), where we are staying tonight. It costs €5 a night, for which you get 16 amp EHU on a flat gravel pitch. Seems to be room for around 20 vans. There are five here at the moment. A service point is being built and is nearly finished. It will have grey and black water disposal and a tap to take on water .

It looks as if this is going to be the primary Aire. The other one (Montignac 1) has much older facilities (with the advantage of a WC in a weird welded steel box thing) and is in a pleasant spot by the river. No vans there today.

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
I pressed post by mistake (hateful phone) before adding that the Aire we are on is 100 metres from the 13th century part of the village. Very attractive

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back