"Unusual traffic from your computer network" HELP Please (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I started to get this message from Google last night..

"Unusual traffic from your computer network"

and to continue browsing I had to enter a CAPTCHA.. which I did.. then it came back again.. and again.. each time I did a search.. up it came..

I ran CCleaner to clean the browser, ran Malwarebytes , nothing detected..

.. I shut down all the devices attached to the router and rebooted both router and PC .. all was well until today ..it's back ..

Basically done all that is suggested.. on the Google Help page ..I have reported to Google
https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640?hl=en-GB

From my limited understanding it would appear there is a malicious script or software running causing this problem.. ?

Has anyone else had this problem or throw light on a probable cause and or a solution.. ?

It's driving me nuts :eek::eek:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it's back..:mad:

here is a screen shot

Capture.PNG

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What kind of connection are you on? It might be the previous user of your IP address was a Bad Actor and you are getting the splashback.

Take a note of the IP address you are on now. switch off the router for 5 minutes switch it back on. If you get the same problem check the IP address again if it is different then you are definitely at fault.

If the IP address doesn't change let me know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
ok, just thought I would check your IP and you are on BTinternet so you should get a fresh IP address on reboot.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ok, just thought I would check your IP and you are on BTinternet so you should get a fresh IP address on reboot.

yes.. that's correct Karl.. thanks .. I switch off the router at night so a fresh IP each day..

I may have it sussed..

I have been switching off connected devices one at a time to try and eliminate the culprit, and it looks like it may be my daughter's iPhone... I've asked if she downloaded any games recently and she said ..yes.. so am having a look at her phone.. will get back ..cheers

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry to butt in with a question of my own... And a really basic one at that...
How do you find your IP address???​
I'm sure I used to know this, but I don't now...

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
beat me to it...was going to suggest it was more than likely a mobile device!!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you been using a keyword ranking checking tool?
Or any automated search tool?

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
damn.. it's back.. and her phone is off:mad:

View attachment 54562
contact you ISP and ask them to check whats they are seeing, they should be able to identify what it is that creating all the traffic

Alternativley, review whats happening on the router - should be a traffic stats section somewhere in the menus

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have a look at what is actually running/installed on your machine in Task Manager and Control Panel. You may have inadvertently downloaded something which needs deliberately uninstalling.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
incase youve not been able to get at the google page...

"Unusual traffic from your computer network"
Why you received this message
You may see "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network" if Google detects that a computer or phone on your network may be sending automated traffic to Google.

Automated traffic includes:

• Sending searches from a robot, computer program, automated service, or search scraper
  • Using software that sends searches to Google to see how a website or webpage ranks on Google
What to do when you see this message
The error page most likely shows a CAPTCHA (a squiggly word with a box below it). To continue using Google, type the squiggly word into the box. It's how we know you're a human, not a robot. After you type the CAPTCHA correctly, the message will go away and you can use Google again.

If you keep seeing the CAPTCHA form, report the problem.

Troubleshoot if you don’t see a CAPTCHA
If you don't see a CAPTCHA, try these steps in order:

1. Check for malware on your computer. Malware is malicious software that can be installed on your computer without your knowledge. Some malware can cause Google to show this message. Learn how to detect and remove malware.
  2. Contact your network administrator. If you share a Wi-Fi network with others, like at a school or business, another computer in your network may be sending automated searches to Google. Your network administrator or IT professional may be able to locate and stop the source of the automated traffic.
  3. Reset your modem or router. If you don’t have a network administrator, try resetting your modem or router to see if that fixes the issue.
  4. If the problem keeps happening, or you don’t share a network with others, contact us. We’ll follow up if we need more information, or if we have something to report back.
Once the automated searches have stopped, you should be able to search normally on Google.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Go into Add/Remove programs and see if there is anything you don't recognise. If not sure, google the name of any program you are unsure about.
Also look in your browser settings and look at extensions, same thing, google any you don't recognise.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am no expert but either search in google "what is my ip address" or

Finding your computer's IP address

You might need your computer's IP address if you set up an Internet connection, allow other people to connect to your computer, or need to troubleshoot network problems.

1. Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button Broken Link Removed, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.

2. Under Connection, click View status.

3. Click Details.

Your computer's IP address appears in the Value column, next to "IPV4 IP Address."

Reactions: CWH
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
do you have a fixed IP address by any chance?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have you been using a keyword ranking checking tool?
Or any automated search tool?

no

contact you ISP and ask them to check whats they are seeing, they should be able to identify what it is that creating all the traffic

Alternativley, review whats happening on the router - should be a traffic stats section somewhere in the menus

will look at this shortly

Have a look at what is actually running/installed on your machine in Task Manager and Control Panel. You may have inadvertently downloaded something which needs deliberately uninstalling.

done that

Why switch the router off Jim??

because I'm a Jock.. :LOL:... just habit.. safety.. leave nothing switched on when going to bed

Go into Add/Remove programs and see if there is anything you don't recognise. If not sure, google the name of any program you are unsure about.
Also look in your browser settings and look at extensions, same thing, google any you don't recognise.

tried that..

do you have a fixed IP address by any chance?
no

Will keep looking.. it's gone at the moment ..:whistle:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Assuming you have windows you could fire up the resource monitor and check the tab for network. This should show which applications are accessing the network.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I had something like that last year I had to do a complete reboot reinstall every thing home you don't have to go down that route
bill

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
The other thing that occurs to me is that, assuming you're running Windows 8.1, there have been a number of updates in the last 48 hours. Check whether or not these have all been applied.

It may be that one of the updates has gone awry so may be consider doing a system restore to say three days ago and let it reapply the updates.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had something like that last year I had to do a complete reboot reinstall every thing home you don't have to go down that route
bill

hope not Bill.. that is a chore I don't relish .. just done it on a Dell lappy.. nearly lost the will to live

The other thing that occurs to me is that, assuming you're running Windows 8.1, there have been a number of updates in the last 48 hours. Check whether or not these have all been applied.

It may be that one of the updates has gone awry so may be considered doing a system restore to say three days ago and let it reapply the updates.

No.. using Windows 7 .

Nothing untoward showing up on the Resource Monitor, Network tab.. .. but am keeping an eye on it ..

but I'm no expert ... does this look ok ?
Capture3.PNG

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
hope not Bill.. that is a chore I don't relish .. just done it on a Dell lappy.. nearly lost the will to live

No.. using Windows 7 .

Nothing untoward showing up on the Resource Monitor, Network tab.. .. but am keeping an eye on it ..

View attachment 54564
I tried ever thin eventually had to bit the bullet
bill

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

No.. using Windows 7 .

View attachment 54564
Nowt unusual there

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Another thought...as youre on bt
do you have bt fon? if you do and its activated on your router...try turning it off for a few days an see what happens

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another thought...as youre on bt
do you have bt fon? if you do and its activated on your router...try turning it off for a few days an see what happens

yes, I have fon, but you can't turn it 'off and on' at will .. I believe you have to 'opt out' ... unless you turn off the wireless..

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Ah, ok, wasnt aware of that as we dont have it

Just thought that someone may be using the fon bit close by and causing the problem as its IP related.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back