"Unusual traffic from your computer network" HELP Please (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ah, ok, wasnt aware of that as we dont have it

Just thought that someone may be using the fon bit close by and causing the problem as its IP related.

it's a good theory.. maybe I'll opt out .. don't really want to as it's really useful

I'm still bamboozled.. have not been playing with the PC recently.. haven't downloaded any software or been on dodgy sites. .. I generally use Firefox, but it also happens on Chrome so not browser related. .

have ran all the usual checks, cleaned everything, .. no strange programs in the programs list.. in fact none added for ages.

have checked in MSCONFIG and stopped all but essential services starting at boot up..

I'm not an IT guru but do know my way around windows and usually manage to solve problems.. until now...

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
It could just be a google thing, sometimes their systems are overly protective!!!

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Does this message only come up on the one pc or all?

If just the one, then I would try another browser and then I would download and run Malwarebytes "full scan" - but only the free bit though, no need to sign up for their premium services.

Then I would download and run spybot -again the free 1.62 version, not the later paid versons.

I suspect this is just malware interfering with your browser.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Does this message only come up on the one pc or all?

If just the one, then I would try another browser and then I would download and run Malwarebytes "full scan" - but only the free bit though, no need to sign up for their premium services.

Then I would download and run spybot -again the free 1.62 version, not the later paid versons.

I suspect this is just malware interfering with your browser.

1 just mine
2 see previous post.. same on both Chrome and Firefox
3. Run full scan with Malwarebytes.. do a scan every week.. also have premium, which monitors all the time.. nothing found
4. Ran Spybot .. nothing untoward found..

5 agree

thanks for trying

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Clutching at straws a bit Jim (remote diagnosing is always a beggar) but have you checked add-ons to Firefox and Chrome in case some malware is hiding within them?

Assuming IE is still installed you might uninstall Firefox and Chrome and then use IE to download them and re-install.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Dont know if it will help jim but I always get over problems using youtube fixes. I put yours in and come up with this not watched it but I am sure you will find something more useful if this one is no help.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Clutching at straws a bit Jim (remote diagnosing is always a beggar) but have you checked add-ons to Firefox and Chrome in case some malware is hiding within them?

Assuming IE is still installed you might uninstall Firefox and Chrome and then use IE to download them and re-install.

thanks.. might give that a go after tea

Dont know if it will help jim but I always get over problems using youtube fixes. I put yours in and come up with this not watched it but I am sure you will find something more useful if this one is no help.

watched that one.. thanks,

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
development.. it is now affecting Jan's laptop.. :ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@ScotJimland
Thinking about it, if Google is picking up a problem linked to the IP address then it isn't surprising that Jan's laptop is also affected as it will be using the same IP address assigned by your ISP to your router.
I wonder is some scammer has spoofed that IP address in order to distribute spam or similar.
Sometimes you don't receive a new IP address simply by switching off the router and switching it on again; it all depends what addresses the ISP has available and how it allocates them.
It may be worth contacting your ISP and asking for a forced change of IP address for your router.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Will give it a couple of days Graham.. see how it goes ..if still bothersome will do that ..
I was also thinking of opting out of Fon.. you can't tell looking at the router if there is anyone using Fon or not..

Reactions: GJH
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I can not help with your problem Jim but I would just say that my understanding is that you should NOT turn the router off at night because the exchange might sense an issue with the line and reduce your speed?? (well that is what the BT engineer told me when I had speed problems).

Zen and Plusnet have also given me the same advice......

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
Login to your bt router go to troubleshooting select all that will show you all the traffic as well as the leases allocated to devices.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Login to your bt router go to troubleshooting select all that will show you all the traffic as well as the leases allocated to devices.

done that but it's double dutch to me.. snap shot of the last entries.. does this look bad .. all those Invalid packets ?

Capture4.PNG

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can not help with your problem Jim but I would just say that my understanding is that you should NOT turn the router off at night because the exchange might sense an issue with the line and reduce your speed?? (well that is what the BT engineer told me when I had speed problems).

Zen and Plusnet have also given me the same advice......
I don't think you should switch it off either, don't know if you have bt tv but if you have it does upgrades to it at some unearthly hour and might be behind in upgrades or something, absolutely not expert at this but that is my understanding, fwiw

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
On the 2 examples you showed, it was the same IP address quoted.
Have you switched off the router and verified you have a different IP address.
I wouldn't have thought you would have a static IP address unless you have requested one.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I get the message 'unusual traffic from your network' and the captcha when I switch on my VPN, have you installed one recently?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Will give it a couple of days Graham.. see how it goes ..if still bothersome will do that ..
I was also thinking of opting out of Fon.. you can't tell looking at the router if there is anyone using Fon or not..

I believe that I have been able to log into my Fon router and identify who has logged in and how much bandwidth etc they were using.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I believe that I have been able to log into my Fon router and identify who has logged in and how much bandwidth etc they were using.

not the one I have.. maybe a different router.. ?
I have a ADSL line ..

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just a thought, do you @ScotJimland get the same message if you log on via your Fon or MyPlace wifi signal?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just a thought, do you @ScotJimland get the same message if you log on via your Fon or MyPlace wifi signal?
honestly.. I don't know.. haven't tried that and getting tired of trying to figure it out.. maybe have another go tomorrow.. I'm all putered out :(

thanks

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I believe that the Fon connections use a different IP address which may help work out what system the malicious activity is using.

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
When you login to your router it will show you a list of connected devices check to see if there is one using IP address 192.168.1.70 that appears to be sending invalid blocks of data. Disconnect that device then recheck your log in troubleshooting. If that device is not one of yours then I will give you instructions on how to block its access.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Capture5.PNG
When you login to your router it will show you a list of connected devices check to see if there is one using IP address 192.168.1.70 that appears to be sending invalid blocks of data. Disconnect that device then recheck your log in troubleshooting. If that device is not one of yours then I will give you instructions on how to block its access.
thanks.. useful information.. see today's log

have looked at connected devices and that IP address is for my wife's laptop..

I left the router on last night, but all connected devices were shut down.. so will her laptop it still have the same IP address as yesterday ?

EDIT .. think I answered my own question.. looks like its my wife's laptop.. on this address 192.168.1.70

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Your wife's laptop will have the same internal IP address. Logon to your hub and go to advanced settings then goto devices this will show you the wired & wireless devices. I have named each device so I can identify them. If you click on the device with IP 192.168.1.70 it will show if it uses the same IP address each time. Rename it as your wife's laptop. Disconnect your wife's laptop from the network & then recheck the logs to see if the invalid packet data has stopped.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
update.. all sorted..

the culprit was my daughter's laptop (no surprise ) :rolleyes:

her laptop was infested with aps, toolbars, and software that she had no idea about.. she never downloaded anything.. honest dad.. I only use FB.. (said with a straight face) .. not me :pinocchio:

It took me half a day to clean it up .. software that was incredibly difficult to delete.. it kept reinstalling itself, .. eventually I had to use Revo uninstaller to get rid of it.. Malware .. wow .. I have never seen Malwarebytes find so much..

after deleting all the crap, a final sweep with CCleaner .. another 1.5 gig of crap deleted..

I have warned her.. " Chaz, any more and it goes in the bin" (siad with my sternest voice) . .. she said .. yeah yeah ok dad.. :lips:

I didn't find this initially as she was at school, I didn't have her password. and I didn't realize her laptop wasn't shut down.. :mad::doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back