Cold Air coming in new Autotrail (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
They're visible Vlad, the o/s has a solid cover & the n/s has a plastic frame with thin rubber flap, if it's the same as mine.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
WOW !! Thanks for that.. The vents are on all models up to 2006 and on all of the 2007 .. Also on all the much later vans I have worked on..

Aint worked on any of the new vans yet but one thing for sure.
If they are not in some doors then there is certainly no reason to worry about blocking them off on the vehicles that do have them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Bond.. I have a 500, a 1kw, and a 2 kw setting on the outer ring of the electric heating control. Also there is an inner rotatable bit which is the thermostat, going from 1 to 9 if I remember correctly.. Also. if you set the blower fan on a LOW setting, e.g., 1 or 2, then the air has more time to heat up behind the fire.. Otherwise you are blowing it around before it is properly hot.. Hope that makes sense... Mitch..
PS. Anyone who doesn't have blown air heating can retrofit it dead easily. On one of our previous vans, I just ordered the fan unit, which screws, with 3 self tapping screws, into pre-drilled holes, after pushing out the circular round pre-punched piece on the back of the fire.
That bit only takes 5 minutes. Then you drill the holes for where you want the outlets and fit the vents.. The foil lined cardboard ducting hose just pushes onto the back of the vents.. secure them to the van and job done.. Hope this isn't stating the bleeding obvious to anyone, but it is serious option.. PSS. I gleaned all the measurements from looking at other vans.. It all cost £160 I think..
Mitch..

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Bond we have a 2010 comanche & this winter we have stayed in the UK so I insulated all the heating pipes with this product, see picture. I found it in b&q half price as it was a clearance item, 3 rolls for a fiver.If you google the name you will find the manufacturer & then possibly another supplier. Take the ducting pipes out, wrap this around the pipes leaving approx 2 inches to allow the pipe to be refitted. Use strong/sticky tape of your choice (gaffa tape ) to hold the insulation to the fitting & the outlet. See 2nd picture. If you are a bit handy & willing to investigate the ' build' of your autotrail you will find that cupboard bottoms will come out to reveal bare pipes which can be insulated. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20150108_184336.jpg
    20150108_184336.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 20150108_190249.jpg
    20150108_190249.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 166
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Regards cold air from front we had same problem and found it was coming from where the seat belt goes down into the roller I cut two pieces of water pipe insulation just bit wider than seat belt pushed into gap and hey presto hope this helps

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Bond.. I have a 500, a 1kw, and a 2 kw setting on the outer ring of the electric heating control. Also there is an inner rotatable bit which is the thermostat, going from 1 to 9 if I remember correctly.. Also. if you set the blower fan on a LOW setting, e.g., 1 or 2, then the air has more time to heat up behind the fire.. Otherwise you are blowing it around before it is properly hot.. Hope that makes sense... Mitch..
PS. Anyone who doesn't have blown air heating can retrofit it dead easily. On one of our previous vans, I just ordered the fan unit, which screws, with 3 self tapping screws, into pre-drilled holes, after pushing out the circular round pre-punched piece on the back of the fire.
That bit only takes 5 minutes. Then you drill the holes for where you want the outlets and fit the vents.. The foil lined cardboard ducting hose just pushes onto the back of the vents.. secure them to the van and job done.. Hope this isn't stating the bleeding obvious to anyone, but it is serious option.. PSS. I gleaned all the measurements from looking at other vans.. It all cost £160 I think..
Mitch..
Mitch, when you say electric heating control are you talking about on the electric motor itself or the main controls above the door?

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Take the seatbelt covers off, the ones from floor to ceiling. Then if you are underneath with a torch you will perhaps see a hole about two inches square where chassis body meets habitation. I filled mine with expanding foam. 2010 chieftain. Easy for mice to get in

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Mines all digital, it has elec1 - elec2 (guessing that means 1kw & 2kw) & gas or mix. On mix boost it's like toast but sounds like Concorde taking off! What year's yours Mitch?

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Does the Autotrail have switchable vents anywhere?
Yes, i have an Autotrail apache, the diversion flap is behind the fire, accessed by a narrow cupboard door. The flap is controlled by a wire lever and operates a flap inside the duct which pretty much controls the amount of airflow to either front or rear of the van. I'll take a picture of the unit which is actually fitted to truma heaters that I've had in a number of caravans I've owned along with my Autotrail. It does make alot of difference when set correctly. I usually set the flow slightly in favour of the front of the van which is further away from the fire. This compensates for the temperature drop due to distance and pretty much balances out over the overall area. I hope I've explained that ok but if anyone needs any clarification I will try to oblige.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'm not sure if the Autotrail has this, anyone else heard or got info on this?
The airflow regulating lever is shown at 25 in diagrams and instructions on its purpose. As said this makes a huge difference in balancing heat throughout the van. Best when using Gas or Gas & Elec together. Using electric alone is a waste of time as airflow from vents is only luke warm by the time its got to the further extremities of the van.
Lance

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
In our new Autotrail Delaware (2015 Model) there is no actual Fire as shown above but we are suffering from the same cold problem at the front of the van. Shutting off the vents in the bedroom only causes the heating to over heat and stop working all together, there is nothing blocking anything. I will be looking at the suggestions on this thread though as I believe the commanche as per the thread starter is almost identical to ours apart from the extra length and twin axle.

Thanks

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
We have invested in two 60 watt tube heaters & placed them diagonally across the cab floor with a fan heater between the seats blowing warm air towards the lower half of the dash. This warms any cold air around the cab area & the dash/windscreen directs it back into the lounge area. We also have silver screens on the outside which drastically reduce the amount of coldness within the cab. With the internal pleated blinds closed we do not suffer from any condensation.

Reactions: f6c

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Zzzzzac, if you also do as I have suggested with the ducting pipes (see thread above & pictures) it will reduce the temperature loss of the air coming out of the pipes.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
So do we, but in really cold weather, it has to be the gas blown air heating, as that heats the under bed garage and toilet/shower areas too.

Cheers,

Jock.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have taken delivery of these and just now have one spare. If anyone wants to claim it? it will be available at £9 at Camperfest. I had to pay postage and buying three was cheapest.
CA_01281521025097-X2.jpg

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have taken delivery of these and just now have one spare. If anyone wants to claim it? it will be available at £9 at Camperfest. I had to pay postage and buying three was cheapest.
CA_01281521025097-X2.jpg
Blimey - that's expensive! You can get them from Fiat dealers for less than £4 (last year anyway). I've got a spare one needing a home as the Fiat dealer recommended it for stopping draughts but when he went to fit it (van was in for a service at the time) there was not enough room to do so because of the way the Alko chassis fitted onto the Fiat cab. So he used sealant instead and handed me the blanking plate for free. Anyone want it, send me a PM. :Smile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Fiat parts online £7.66 incl VAT plus postage. The other price goes back to 2010
I don't know how they came up with that tale as the Alko chassis rails bolt to the outside of the cab chassis extensions and are no where near those vents

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
All I can say is that last year, the price quoted me at the desk by the Fiat Commercial dealer in Worcester was £3 something. Maybe worth giving them a ring .......

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Another area to look at is the seal, or lack of it, on the roof lights.
Some technical reason to do with air circulation per so many cubic metres of space in a particular room of the motorhome means that the (British) manufacturers have to omit the seals in the roof lights. Ring up the technical help department at AutoTrail for the official answer, as I did, and you will be told that they can't do it, but what an owner does is up to the owner. Phone number is 01472 571000.
Anyway, I bought seals from Leisure Spares Ltd and fit them myself. Made a huge difference. www.leisurespares.co.uk
Hope this helps (y)

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Then Mark (CLS) pointed out there was a diverter flap on the top of the fire under the 'false floor' in the wardrobe - problem instantly solved - we didn't have a clue that was there till then!

I'm just ploughing through this thread (when I'm supposed to updating one of my spreadsheets!) and I read this. I've just been out to look at my MH (Bessacarr) and looked for this flap but there doesn't seem to be one.

Jenny, can you describe exactly what it looks like and where it is please?

Keith Hart

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I'm just ploughing through this thread (when I'm supposed to updating one of my spreadsheets!) and I read this. I've just been out to look at my MH (Bessacarr) and looked for this flap but there doesn't seem to be one.

Jenny, can you describe exactly what it looks like and where it is please?

Keith Hart

Hi Keith

There is a picture on page 4 of the thread - posted by Wickolad. I think that is the flap you are asking about

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
There is a picture on page 4 of the thread - posted by Wickolad. I think that is the flap you are asking about
Ah, yes thanks. As someone else has commented, best to read the WHOLE thread first! :oops:

Keith Hart

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Techno thanks for the link but it works out at £19.60 after adding postage.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Buy a heavy duty black plastic tray from a garden centre, use one of the vents as a template cut around it and glue over the opening with Sikaflex, why not :) Cheap as chips !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back