Using the motorhome....as daily transport ? (1 Viewer)

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
As you might know i have a bigun... :Blush::Blush:

bath2.jpg

Insurance on the motorhome 35 pounds a month, car 44 pounds a month. :Doh:

With the credit crunch hitting home, im thinking of taking the car off the road and using the motorhome as my daily transport.

Might be for a few weeks to start, leave it on the drive, untaxed, theft only insurance, but if it works i might sell the car at a giveaway price.

My wife has a little Kia picanto, 1.0 engine, for them tight occasions.

Anybody else in the same position, or have done this in the past ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As you might know i have a bigun...

It doesn't look very practical.

The same idea did cross my mind, too many vehicles, but it soon left after driving our smaller MH for a while. Fuel costs alone ruin the idea. Parking finished it off.

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
we have one car and the motorhome so if both of us need a vehicle one takes the car the other takes the motorhome, never caused us a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I suppose it depends on where you work and what you do . If you have ample parking and theres no issues with your employer, then why not?

I know some that do but all be it in smaller Mhs.

But before you go bragging about how big yours is, you perhaps ought to wait untiill them mighty fine RV boys show you theres:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
[QUOTE

But before you go bragging about how big yours is, you perhaps ought to wait untiill them mighty fine RV boys show you theres:ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]

It's not how big it is....... it's how you use it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Work 3 miles from home, will be parked in the hospital grounds car park, taking up 2 spaces.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
With the credit crunch hitting home, im thinking of taking the car off the road and using the motorhome as my daily transport.

Might be for a few weeks to start, leave it on the drive, untaxed, theft only insurance, but if it works i might sell the car at a giveaway price.

My wife has a little Kia picanto, 1.0 engine, for them tight occasions.

Anybody else in the same position, or have done this in the past ?
Yes.....i did exactly this when i bought my campervan just over two years ago and already had a car.

I used my van and car alternate weeks to and from work but the first problem i had to overcome with the van was finding an insurer who would cover me to commute to and from work.....not many companies will do it (they prefer you have use of a second vehicle). Most will only cover mh's etc for social/pleasure and that does not cover commuting to and from a place of work.

Running two vehicles isn't cheap, double insurance and double road tax, it doesn't matter what the value of the vehicle is (even if your car is an old £150 banger you will still pay the same road tax if it was a £20k motor).

I eventually decided to let my car go because of two factors....running costs, plus, and this is probably the most important, any vehicle left standing is not good! Countless motorhomes/campers/rv's etc spend the majority of their life stuck on a driveway doing absolutely nothing. To me that is sheer madness. A neighbour of mine has £50 grands worth of motorhome which has stood in his drive without ever moving a wheel for the past seven months! How crazy is that? Unless a vehicle is completely dry stored in a well insulated (double brick) garage it will suffer from weathering, but even then it should still be run out on the road at least once a month to keep the mechanical side tip top.

As my van is a swb it's less than 5mtrs long so even though it doesn't have power steering, it's perfectly driveable on the small country 'B' roads i use to commute to and from work. Anything much longer than say 6mtrs would prove a bit of a problem.

Hope that some of this helps in your decision making.
My insurance is with Norwich Union at £210 fully comp.

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I suppose it depends on where you work and what you do . If you have ample parking and theres no issues with your employer, then why not?

I know some that do but all be it in smaller Mhs.
Spot on Hag.....I had to get permission from my employer to take my van inside the factory perimeter due to the carparks (sited outside) having height barriers.

But you are right about smaller. Where i commute you simply would never even want to take your shiny big mh or rv! The road is literally 'owned' by farmers.....enough said?!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Thanks BULLETGUY ! Very informative. I can park in work, no problem. I'll have to check on the insurance criteria bit. :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Update, phoned motorhome insurer, and to have commuting added onto policy it's only 16 pounds a YEAR extra ! Bargain :Eeek:

Managed to cut my car insurance from 45 a month to 30 pounds a month. Still too expensive.

Other work colleques have offered me a lift everyday. Walk to nearest main road , which is 5 minutes away. Will give them 2 pouds a day. 10 pounds a week, and use motorhome whenever i need too :thumb:

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Update, phoned motorhome insurer, and to have commuting added onto policy it's only 16 pounds a YEAR extra ! Bargain :Eeek:
16 quid difference is certainly very little. Who is that with and whats your premium?

Lowest quote i can get is £160 with Saga, but.....they won't cover work commutes for any mh. Oddly enough Saga was always one of the most expensive companies to insure a car with. They like to insure low risk people, ie. folk who don't use the damn vehicle!

Upvote 0

maxitai

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
LINCOLNSHIRE
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
23 YEARS
Using motorhome for work

I did this a few years ago, but found i could park the 22 ft van i had then
on the road outside work, however could"nt do it now! It"s hard enough finding a place for a car, and would be a little worried it might attract the wrong attention. I have had two vans vandalised and this was in a hospital car park!put it down to jealousy or just mindless
thuggery, however if you have the parking space, go for it!!
I"d love to drive my beauty everyday, but sadly can"t and have to use a boring car!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Well sold the car tonight :cry: :Doh:

So from tommorow on, i'll be using the motorhome for everyday transport :Smile:

Still,got the use of my wife's car to go out as a family and when she says i can borrow it :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
Whilst getting quoted for a proposed RV i was asked if i needed cover for commuting.
I had to chuckle!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Got to say, that after a week, it has been ok so far :thumb:

Few parking issues, as expected but returning about 25 mpg ish.

Best bit of driving it is all the looks you get. Like " where the hell is he going at 8.15 in the morning " and " i would love one of those " ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Anyway, it's got to be cheaper than running two vehicles every month..... hasn't it ???

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back