burning oil and only 30,000 on clock (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi all from damp Rhineland, my Fiat Ducato 2003 has just started to burn oil for no apparent reason, the engine is running well and no other problems.

The blue smoke is present when the engine is hot and the the engine is ticking over, ie stopped in traffic, as soon as I move of the smoke gets thicker but quickly disapperes after 20 or 30 seconds.

I think it is the turbo charger seals the are leaking, any one else experiance this???

Doug....

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hubby says you could be right about oil getting into the turbo, otherwise it could be that the rings have gone or are starting to go.

We have had 2 fiat ducatos with no problems so good luck xxxx

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
When you say burn oil can you be more specific? ie quantaties or is the old girl just smoking alot?

Is it consistant ie, everytime you stop or just on occasions?

these are a few options,
a) air cleaner element clogged or restriction in duct between air cleaner and turbocharger which can cause oil to be drawn past the turbocharger seal at the compressor end,
(b) restriction or faulty check valve in turbocharger oil drain line, which may raise the oil level in the turbocharger center housing and cause seal leakage,
(c) malfunction in oil scavenge pump,
(d) restriction in engine crankcase breather,
(e) worn or damaged compressor wheel,
(f) turbocharger shaft bearings or bearing bores worn,

Its not unthinkable to have a problem in this area. Of course possible rings etc but would of thought thats a long shot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Harveyx

Free Member
Jul 13, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
:Smile:Had a problem like this on a car. It turned out to be valve stem seals had hardened and no longer doing their job. Not as expensive to fix as I first thought.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
:Smile:Had a problem like this on a car. It turned out to be valve stem seals had hardened and no longer doing their job. Not as expensive to fix as I first thought.

Valve stem seals has to be favourite. They allow oil to seep from the top end when staionary and it quickly burns off when running:Smile:
Pete

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
When you say burn oil can you be more specific? ie quantaties or is the old girl just smoking alot?

Is it consistant ie, everytime you stop or just on occasions?

these are a few options,
a) air cleaner element clogged or restriction in duct between air cleaner and turbocharger which can cause oil to be drawn past the turbocharger seal at the compressor end,
(b) restriction or faulty check valve in turbocharger oil drain line, which may raise the oil level in the turbocharger center housing and cause seal leakage,
(c) malfunction in oil scavenge pump,
(d) restriction in engine crankcase breather,
(e) worn or damaged compressor wheel,
(f) turbocharger shaft bearings or bearing bores worn,

Its not unthinkable to have a problem in this area. Of course possible rings etc but would of thought thats a long shot.

I done an oil change 1,000miles ago and the dipstick level has gon down about 20% of the range, I have not topped it up so that I can get a more acurate measure.

The burnt oil is present every time I come to tick over after the engine has reached working temp. The is no sign of burning on start up, cold or hot.

The air filter is clean,

The engine has only done 30,000 miles which seems to soon for any wear problems.

Doug.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M

MattC

Deleted User
I had exactly this problem at a similar mileage on my 2.8 and it was the turbo which thankfully was replaced whilst still under warranty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back