wine to bring back from France?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jaygee, Aug 6, 2016.

1. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Thinking of bringing back quite a few bottles of red wine back from France when we come home next week. Does anyone have any recommendations of a particular 'brand' or name to buy. Don't want to spend too much per bottle as I can get a decent one at home but more just your average plonk! There are so many here!

2. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

I'll start with a favourite of many on here.
    Roche Mazet. You can buy it at most Supermarches and it comes in variety, ie Merlot, Cab Sav and, Chardonnay (for the ladies). Oh it also comes in Pink as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Granjan

Granjan Funster

I usually look for one that has won an award, might be naive but I always think that if it has a bronze, silver or gold award lable it must be a bit better!

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

not being a drinker dunno much about wine.. but most big French supermarkets have good deals..

when I did drink, I just looked at the ABV and the price.. strong and cheap was good.. :LOL:

Joking aside.... may be of interest.. InterMarche had a good deal on Perrier water .. six 1lt bottles for about €3 (y)

5. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    If you don't have a favourite then I would suggest you simply pick a "couple of dozen" different bottles within your comfortable price range. By the time you've drunk your way through them you'll know what to buy and what not to buy next time.
    One man's favourite wine is another man's vinegar :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. chaser

chaser Funster

Whatever you decide on, it will be far cheaper at Carrefour at cite Europe on your way back, we go for corbieres, they have some very drinkable sorts at not much more than £1 a bottle.

• Like Like x 3
  7. etap

etap Funster

You will never fail with Saint Chinian, most reliable wines and at good prices are usually the Corbiere and Cote de Rhone and others from the Languadoc area, best to buy those that are bottled at the chateau or proprietors, we always bring enough home to last till next time. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

Ditto:)

9. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

My sentiments entirely. So many good cheap wines in France but best to try first.
    Phil

10. chaser

chaser Funster

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Inter Marché sell a very good boxed red. It is from a range called Expert Club and is a Corbières. Should be about €14 or less for 5 litres. I found it excellent, I'm working through a box at the moment. In terms of quality it would be around £6 or £7 a bottle here in the UK I think.

12. chaser

chaser Funster

13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We fell out of love with French wine a while ago, then in March we travelled down to the south and visited a few vineyards and found some wines we really liked. We bought some in Bordeaux, St Emilion and The Rhone valley. I think wine is a very personal thing, what some people like, others will not. Best thing is to do a few tastings and get a feel for what you like. All the vineyards we visited told us the wine they sell to the supermarkets is not always their best

14. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I will second the Roche Mazet we bring back the boxes so it saves transporting glass and leaves the remaining payload for more boxes, and they stack well.

Martin

15. boroboy

boroboy Funster

I'm with the wine box people, but don't buy if it only says rouge on the box, make sure it is a named wine ie Merlot or similar. I've had a few that were a bit nasty that were only fit for cleaning the sink out.

• Like Like x 2
  16. chaser

chaser Funster

For anyone who is going to the twin lakes do, or for anyone going to that area, there is a very big Cave cooperative in Marcillac just a few km away. Gold medal wines for them who want to taste and buy, but also take empty water bottles or 5 gallon containers to fill from the pump. Excellent wines!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

If you are coming back through Calais there are a good number of Wine Warehouses in and around the town that allow you to taste before you buy. Quite a few have their own websites that allows you to have a look at prices & stock before you get there and they also stock wines from all over the world rather than just France.
    We use Calais Wines

http://www.calaiswine.co.uk/?gclid=CJ2bq6aorM4CFYXnGwodshsNmA

as they have plenty of special offers on 3 bottles for £6.

Like Jim said high ABV and low price! Not had a bad one yet!

Remember your weight a case of 6 bottles weighs 7.5 kg but most supermarkets sell it in boxes now which reduces the weight but cuts down on choice.

18. Gooney

Gooney Funster

J P Chenet is always a favourite of mine, it was recommended to me by a seasoned traveller whilst I was browsing through the bottles on the Supermarket shelves, and what a good choice it turned out to be(y)

• Like Like x 1
  19. chaser

chaser Funster

This one is always on offer at Carrefour, red white and rose.
    Very reasonable

20. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Tres Important;

Wine in France is well protected by their consumer protection laws, HOWEVER!!!

Invariably, on a bottle of french wine (or box) you will see the "Marianne" a profile of a lady that looks very much like Brittania.
    It symbolises that the bottle,box etc is french BUT BEWARE!!!

There is a box sold in major french supermarkets that has all the hallmarks of being french wine but it isn't. It has french writing all over it. It has the Marianne symbol on the robinette (tap) exit point BUT IT ISN'T FRENCH. Its Spanish???

From memory, it's the Alexander box sold in Le Clerc.

There's nothing wrong with it but it isn't french.
    One last thing. Whilst it is 'normal' to have some wines with an ABV of 12.5, a superior wine will usually be 13% I'm thinking the difference between, for instance Cotes de Rhone and Cotes de Rhone Village. The latter is made from a more specific area and has a higher ABV.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016