wine to bring back from France? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Thinking of bringing back quite a few bottles of red wine back from France when we come home next week. Does anyone have any recommendations of a particular 'brand' or name to buy. Don't want to spend too much per bottle as I can get a decent one at home but more just your average plonk! There are so many here!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'll start with a favourite of many on here.
Roche Mazet. You can buy it at most Supermarches and it comes in variety, ie Merlot, Cab Sav and, Chardonnay (for the ladies). Oh it also comes in Pink as well.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I usually look for one that has won an award, might be naive but I always think that if it has a bronze, silver or gold award lable it must be a bit better!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
not being a drinker dunno much about wine.. but most big French supermarkets have good deals..

when I did drink, I just looked at the ABV and the price.. strong and cheap was good.. :LOL:

Joking aside.... may be of interest.. InterMarche had a good deal on Perrier water .. six 1lt bottles for about €3 (y)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
If you don't have a favourite then I would suggest you simply pick a "couple of dozen" different bottles within your comfortable price range. By the time you've drunk your way through them you'll know what to buy and what not to buy next time.
One man's favourite wine is another man's vinegar :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Whatever you decide on, it will be far cheaper at Carrefour at cite Europe on your way back, we go for corbieres, they have some very drinkable sorts at not much more than £1 a bottle.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
You will never fail with Saint Chinian, most reliable wines and at good prices are usually the Corbiere and Cote de Rhone and others from the Languadoc area, best to buy those that are bottled at the chateau or proprietors, we always bring enough home to last till next time. Good luck.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You will never fail with Saint Chinian, most reliable wines and at good prices are usually the Corbiere and Cote de Rhone and others from the Languadoc area, best to buy those that are bottled at the chateau or proprietors, we always bring enough home to last till next time. Good luck.
Ditto:)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
If you don't have a favourite then I would suggest you simply pick a "couple of dozen" different bottles within your comfortable price range. By the time you've drunk your way through them you'll know what to buy and what not to buy next time.
One man's favourite wine is another man's vinegar :)
My sentiments entirely. So many good cheap wines in France but best to try first.
Phil

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Inter Marché sell a very good boxed red. It is from a range called Expert Club and is a Corbières. Should be about €14 or less for 5 litres. I found it excellent, I'm working through a box at the moment. In terms of quality it would be around £6 or £7 a bottle here in the UK I think.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We fell out of love with French wine a while ago, then in March we travelled down to the south and visited a few vineyards and found some wines we really liked. We bought some in Bordeaux, St Emilion and The Rhone valley. I think wine is a very personal thing, what some people like, others will not. Best thing is to do a few tastings and get a feel for what you like. All the vineyards we visited told us the wine they sell to the supermarkets is not always their best

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'll start with a favourite of many on here.
Roche Mazet. You can buy it at most Supermarches and it comes in variety, ie Merlot, Cab Sav and, Chardonnay (for the ladies). Oh it also comes in Pink as well.
I will second the Roche Mazet we bring back the boxes so it saves transporting glass and leaves the remaining payload for more boxes, and they stack well.

Martin

Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
I'm with the wine box people, but don't buy if it only says rouge on the box, make sure it is a named wine ie Merlot or similar. I've had a few that were a bit nasty that were only fit for cleaning the sink out.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For anyone who is going to the twin lakes do, or for anyone going to that area, there is a very big Cave cooperative in Marcillac just a few km away. Gold medal wines for them who want to taste and buy, but also take empty water bottles or 5 gallon containers to fill from the pump. Excellent wines!

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
If you are coming back through Calais there are a good number of Wine Warehouses in and around the town that allow you to taste before you buy. Quite a few have their own websites that allows you to have a look at prices & stock before you get there and they also stock wines from all over the world rather than just France.
We use Calais Wines

http://www.calaiswine.co.uk/?gclid=CJ2bq6aorM4CFYXnGwodshsNmA

as they have plenty of special offers on 3 bottles for £6.

Like Jim said high ABV and low price! Not had a bad one yet!

Remember your weight a case of 6 bottles weighs 7.5 kg but most supermarkets sell it in boxes now which reduces the weight but cuts down on choice.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
J P Chenet is always a favourite of mine, it was recommended to me by a seasoned traveller whilst I was browsing through the bottles on the Supermarket shelves, and what a good choice it turned out to be(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
J P Chenet is always a favourite of mine, it was recommended to me by a seasoned traveller whilst I was browsing through the bottles on the Supermarket shelves, and what a good choice it turned out to be(y)
This one is always on offer at Carrefour, red white and rose.
Very reasonable

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Tres Important;

Wine in France is well protected by their consumer protection laws, HOWEVER!!!

Invariably, on a bottle of french wine (or box) you will see the "Marianne" a profile of a lady that looks very much like Brittania.
It symbolises that the bottle,box etc is french BUT BEWARE!!!

There is a box sold in major french supermarkets that has all the hallmarks of being french wine but it isn't. It has french writing all over it. It has the Marianne symbol on the robinette (tap) exit point BUT IT ISN'T FRENCH. Its Spanish???

From memory, it's the Alexander box sold in Le Clerc.

There's nothing wrong with it but it isn't french.
One last thing. Whilst it is 'normal' to have some wines with an ABV of 12.5, a superior wine will usually be 13% I'm thinking the difference between, for instance Cotes de Rhone and Cotes de Rhone Village. The latter is made from a more specific area and has a higher ABV.

Last edited:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
:wine:Sit in the car park for a few minutes and watch what the older French men are bringing out. Really cheap are the corbieres plastic 5 litre barrels, very pleasant. Roche mazet as well as bottles do boxes, excellent value and less weight per litre in packaging.

PS. Just noticed Funflairs similar thread, great minds

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
image.jpeg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Unless you are an absolute expert in wines you would be very hard pushed to find anything better than corbieres for the money, we have friends in Bordeaux who are wine experts and used to be buyers for English hotels who have a cellar full of supposedly excellent wines, and when we visit they get them out , and to be honest I can't tell a jot between them, they maybe fine wines but compleatly wasted on me.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Unless you are an absolute expert in wines you would be very hard pushed to find anything better than corbieres for the money, we have friends in Bordeaux who are wine experts and used to be buyers for English hotels who have a cellar full of supposedly excellent wines, and when we visit they get them out , and to be honest I can't tell a jot between them, they maybe fine wines but compleatly wasted on me.

Each to his own! :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
These are all good inexpensive carrefour stock

The medals are a good guide.
This was under €5 a couple of years ago and we scored it 10

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thinking of bringing back quite a few bottles of red wine back from France when we come home next week. Does anyone have any recommendations of a particular 'brand' or name to buy. Don't want to spend too much per bottle as I can get a decent one at home but more just your average plonk! There are so many here!
Bring back the wine that you like..other peoples choice may not suit you,,,BUSBY.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Lidl have a reasonable plonk. Red and white @ €0.99 and Rosé @ €1.09. Conde. Recently brought back quite a bit.
Carrefour at Cite Europe do reasonable boxes of wine. 5 litres from about €6.00 but most bigger supermarkets have reasonable priced.
Last year I bought 3 particular wines and removed the labels for a friend. One was around a Euro, one was around £3.00 and the 'gold award winning' one was €7.99. That came last. The cheapest came 2nd. However these were all red wines but it has been said earlier, one mans wine is another man's vinegar.
Try some cheapies and see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back