Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Really do think the sat nav we have bought from Hong Kong is good value. Have entered the HGV details in, length height width axles etc. although had a little difficulty finding them and the firm emailed me with photographs of all my queries. Apparently all the booklets do not give details of the extra software for HGV which are with this system. For the price it seems very good. A few queries, emailed the seller and the firm are most obliging and helpful. We are pleased with it. For £56 we cannot complain. I thought the touch screen a little hard to use at first and faulty? but used the calibrate screen and it is working perfectly now.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Got my hongkong special today looks good had quick look through features impressive couldnt find add mh size yet will look closer when its finished charging, nice one bill :thumb:

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
For Hong Kong sat nav

TO CHANGE VEHICLE TO LORRY

1. Navigation screen. Press More
2. Press. Settings
3. Arrow symbol. Go down to
4. Route Settings
5. vehicle
6. arrow symbol. Go down
7. default Lorry.

Then press settings button

8. shows default Lorry. Enter speed, length, height, width, number of axles, Also weight of motorhome.

Confirm parameter Tick box

Hope this helps. May save a little time! Lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Has anyone had any success putting in their own choice of POIs, eg, LPG, Low Bridges, CC Sites & CLs, MH Parking, Aires, Stellplatz, Tesco, Wetherspoon's, etc, etc?

I couldn't consider a replacement Sat Nav for my TT 720, which won't accommodate POIs. :Sad:

Cheers,

Jock.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
this satnav has a poi folder put it in there but it has to be the right poi file also don't forget this comes with poi files sometimes when i put a route in and i decide to try a diff camp i put into custom search accommodation ,camping ,at destination and you will surprised the amount of sites it has on it

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
About 68 hours now since I sent details to the seller of the Eroda device and no reply so I have to assume that it is not possible to add one's own sets of PoIs.

As Bill says, some of the eBay sellers have loaded all sorts of information to their devices. Some information is legal for them to sell and some is not. I know that at least one eBay seller has ripped off my MH Parking dataset and sold it as their own in the past.

However much information there is on a device when it is bought, though, it doesn't cater for changes unless the supplier has some sort of update service.

I'm with Jock. Any replacement for what I have will need to allow add/update of PoI datasets not just individual entries. That rules out eBay offers and Snooper devices at least.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well I bought this last week: 7" inch Truck GPS SAT NAV MP4 Lorry Coach Bluetooth from navibuzz on eBay and arrived 2 days later.

It's nice and big and fast, however wife cannot get on with it so selling it this weekend at Haganap's "Bring & Buy Rally 5 glorious years" as new.

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Mine arrived today with an £11.98 customs charge, £3.98 on the value & £8 customs handling charge :Angry:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
if its from the same place as mine its the 1st time i have know there to be duty normally its on higher purchases not small 1's

OP
OP
D

Dai Howells

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
Gone for the UK supplier navibuzz. Will let you know when it arrives and what it's like:Smile:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Used it a couple of times today just local and so far very impressed, previously only ever used TomTom's, unit starts up very fast, very clean easy to use menu's with plenty of options to narrow down the specific info I like to see on the screen, screen is a great size at 7" oblong and responds quickly to touch no jabbing away, Thanks for the recommendation UKBill very happy and at £56 (even plus the £12 customs charge) an absolute bargain, so glad I never ordered that £300 truckers TomTom :thumb:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
the poi file has to be converted to a kml file and then the kml files must be placed in the content/userdata/poi folder. Custom icon must be placed in in content/userdata/usericon folder
you must then check the custom poi's in - Map Settings - Place Markers
i can not get the custom icon to show as a motorhome only the igo marker

Last edited:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
to get the motorhome icon to show you have to opeen the kml file with note pad and insert this text

<metadata><igoicon><filename>Motorhome_Parking.bmp</filename></igoicon></metadata>
<Placemark>Motorhome_Parking

so it looks like this when opened with notepad

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">
<Document>
<name>motorhome_parking.kml</name>
<metadata><igoicon><filename>Motorhome_Parking.bmp</filename></igoicon></metadata>
<Placemark>Motorhome_Parking

this would also be the same for any other poi's , change to klm file and add to the correct folder and your bmp file to the correct folder . open the klm file with notepad and insert the text below changeing any name to the name of your bmp file

<metadata><igoicon><filename>any name .bmp</filename></igoicon></metadata>

this is not all my own work:Smile:

Last edited:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
this will work on the Chinese truck sat navs that have been mentioned in this thread which run the igo software

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i think i need to contact the sat nav company for a commission lol
as for the poi files i really dont think much of them are needed this sat nav has parking camping shops petrol really everything you need for instance i have now got coquelles to benicassim loaded and have put in from custom search for camping along the route and have found untold camp sites many of them acsi and will decide what 1's i will place into the route once i have checked some out it will also ask you if there is a waiting time for each place i think a max of 24hrs this then gives you a total travel time with stops and like i said the sound can be a tad low so i put it into the aux on my radio and when needed turn it to aux and get directions from the radio but like all equipment we all should still read the road signs things can go wrong and your eyes are ya brain is still the best satnav there is :Smile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i doubt it would have but you would also have to prove its yours :Smile:

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi it has internet explorer so i asume it can brows internet like laptop etc ? im not very savvy with pc tech so how can i get on line with it there are settings but which connects to my home router and how does it connect when away if it can at all ?

Also poi`s confused im:Blush: do you guys mean there are some built in but if you want to add your own then do the complicated stuff mentioned ?
if no poi`s il take my old tomtom as back up and use poi`s on that .

also can you ad music n pics to it using blue tooth or must you do it cable linked to a computer ?

Thanks oh learn-ed ones ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi it has internet explorer so i asume it can brows internet like laptop etc ? im not very savvy with pc tech so how can i get on line with it there are settings but which connects to my home router and how does it connect when away if it can at all ?

[HI]Also poi`s confused im:Blush: do you guys mean there are some built in but if you want to add your own then do the complicated stuff mentioned ?[/HI]
if no poi`s il take my old tomtom as back up and use poi`s on that .

also can you ad music n pics to it using blue tooth or must you do it cable linked to a computer ?

Thanks oh learn-ed ones ::bigsmile:
Most (if not all) sat navs will allow you to add PoIs one at a time, which is fine unless you have a large set which you want to add and maintain during your ownership of the device or you want to download and add a set prepared by somebody else.

Some sat navs (e.g. TomTom and Garmin) allow you to add your own PoI sets using desktop software or even just dragging & dropping into the appropriate folder on the device. Typically those are from companies whose PoI file formats are in the public domain so it is possible for people to prepare sets and convert them to the appropriate format.

Others (e.g. Snooper) provide a similar tool but you can only add sets downloaded from the Snooper web site as their file format is not released. You have to send them the PoI set and they will convert it and make it available to everybody (that used to be without checking to see if they were breaching copyright by doing so but that may not be the case now).

A third category (e.g. the device sold by Navibuzz mentioned above) will not allow addition of sets of PoIs at all, only individual ones.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A third category (e.g. the device sold by Navibuzz mentioned above) will not allow addition of sets of PoIs at all, only individual ones.

if this sat nav uses igo as the software and mapping you will be able to use your own poi's as instructed in my previous post:Smile:

i took your motorhome parking file and converted it and added it to my igo 7" sat nav and got the icon showing also

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
if this sat nav uses igo as the software and mapping you will be able to use your own poi's as instructed in my previous post:Smile:

i took your motorhome parking file and converted it and added it to my igo 7" sat nav and got the icon showing also

Thanks Chris. It appears that the device sold by Navibuzz - Link Removed - uses different software. What they said was "The format is poi. Not sure if it's the same as other brands. And i'm sorry that you might need to add it one by one".

I'm pleased you managed to get the dataset working on your device. It was always the intention to provide a facility for individuals' private use. A pity some greedy freeloaders decided it is OK to take something and pass it off for profit.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Graham you will be able to use the method i posted as the sat nav sold by Navibuzz uses igo mapping ,just had a message to confirm this:Smile:

Dear chris,

Thank you for your inquiry. We use IGO maps within it. Hope you like it. Any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,
Susan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham you will be able to use the method i posted as the sat nav sold by Navibuzz uses igo mapping ,just had a message to confirm this:Smile:

Dear chris,

Thank you for your inquiry. We use IGO maps within it. Hope you like it. Any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,
Susan

Thanks Chris. Still not sure about it though. I did a search on IGO maps and it seems that the IGO software uses Navteq maps for this country. I'm still trying to get a straight answer out of Navteq as to whether their width data is actual measurements or imply legal restriction orders.

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Just received my parcel
£11.92 excise
Never mind