Which Sat Nav option? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi got my sat nav last week from Hong Kong, went out with it but could select address but not postcodes any one any ideas?
Gary.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
when u get to the section where you select the ady it says country town and street click town and it will say name or postcode

Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Bill, thanks for reply. Mine says City and then Zip Code, is there somewhere that I have to select UK format?

sorry found uk now ...
but I can only put the first half of a postcode in (eg BN1) to give me a town it wont let me enter the second half to come up with an actual street address ... any ideas?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Hello All,

I have been reading this thread as I am trying to decide with SatNav to buy. I am looking at the Garmi Camper as I currenlty use Garmin therefore I am familiar with the OS.

However I am also looking at "much" cheaper versions, such as the one suggested by ukbill in this thread. I was wondering how a year down the line everyone is getting on with their £50 SatNav, a few questions spring to mind.

1) How up to date are the maps
2) How do you download new maps
3) Is the routing accurate
4) What levels of support are available

One thing that does comcern me is the lack of ability to model routes on your pc and import them into the SatNav, I like to double cheack my routes as I am not 100% comfortable relying on a SatNav. The Garmin does have this option.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Hello All,

I was wondering how a year down the line everyone is getting on with their £50 SatNav, a few questions spring to mind.

1) How up to date are the maps
2) How do you download new maps
3) Is the routing accurate
4) What levels of support are available

A quick check of e bay purchases history , I can quote on 2 years down the line ownership of the cheapo satnav.

You can go to a site and download updates for maps . However , I updated the maps via contacting the seller a couple of months ago , had a chat with them and they sent latest UK/Euro maps on a 8Gb micro sd..... cost £10. Old card out , new card in , worked straight away , no changing of settings required ........ Couple of months and a good few trips later after ensuring new card ok , Format old card , transfer new data on to it = spare working card

Decided to try the truck option as well. Further contact with seller , another £10 , 8Gb card sent , rest = as above.............Got to admit I really dont get on with the truck version , nothing to do with accuracy etc . I just prefer the layout and POI s etc in the car version .

Routing ..... I have it set on the bus /easy option and dont remember being sent down any unsuitable routes . However , best tool to avoid unsuitable road is eyesight and common sense , not a sat nav ......... Routing accuracy ... In UK we tend to use postcode . In mainland Europe ,co-ordinates option . Accuracy , especially the co ordinate option is invariably spot on .

Levels of support examples = as 1 above . Also , when I first purchased the unit I royally messed up the micro sd card , losing access to its content. I contacted the sellers and was honest with them ref it being my fault . They sent a new card free of charge to me , arriving within 2 days . More than fair service ....... I also know someone who purchased a unit from them , after using it for a day or 2 it was evident that it was malfunctioning . They took it to the sellers physical warehouse in Glasgow . Some discussion and proof of purchase later , walked away with a replacement tested and functioning unit .

For the money I dont think I would weep if the thing died on me . I would simply purchase another unit from the same seller.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi CJB, :Smile:

Plotting a route on the PC using MS Autoroute, and then entering chosen coordinates from that route into the Sat Nav, will allow you to follow it precisely. I can zoom in right to the point of entry at my destination, note the coordinates, enter those into the Sat Nav, and it takes me straight to the entrance. I only use post codes, when I don't have access to coordinates.
That is my preferred method especially when abroad, as I don't know the road networks as well as I do the UK's.

Although not used a great deal here in the UK, I am quite pleased with the Chinese Truck Sat Nav. It compares very well with the TomTom, in the way of options, functions, and programming. TBH, for me anyway, there are far too many options and functions, many of which I don't use or access. Flatpackchicken (Garry) feels the same was about his too.

Someone more knowledgeable than I, will be along to explain about the latest software and map updates. :Smile: I'll be watching with interest too. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back