Which Sat Nav option?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dai Howells, May 27, 2013.

1. Dai Howells

Dai Howells Read Only Funster

Hi, we're off to Brittany for a fortnight this summer (OH and 2 kids). I'm looking for the best sat Nav option - I currently have a Tomtom one xl and can get A French map download for £40. I also have a iPhone and can get an app for £55 but does anyone know of a cheaper option? Thanks:Sad:

2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Hi Dai we are off to brittainy this summer too for the first time in a mh, i have the tom tom one xl as well and find it a pain sometimes as its meant for car sizes and has lead us down some dodgy routes. So i will be getting a new one that you can input mh dimensions have been looking at some eg.. http://sites.garmin.com/dezl/ but the choice and differing opinions on most items on here are a bit confusing at times but i like the look of uk bills choice there and the price :thumb:

4. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i have had this sat nav for around 6 months and had no problems with its directions its took me to portugal poland and many more places i deleted some files by accident and had to pay £6 for a new sd card i couldnt believe when it arrived aith all the new updates for a newer version of the sat nav i recommend this device to anyone

5. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Co Pilot Live app £20 approx Which magazine best buy :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi Dai Howells & Autoswan,
    likewise we are off to brittany in sept via dunkirk.
    Terry:sin:

7. ukbill

ukbill Funster

dont forget the 1 i recommend is also a 7" screen and blue tooth lane changes and alerts read all that it does before you buy there are a few others on here who also have this sat nav

8. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

+1 for CoPilot on your iPhone

Gives you the opportunity to program for car, RV, motorcycle, pedestrian etc etc

Shows lane changing etc etc.

Does all that any old satnag can do, plus you can use it as a phone........................:Wink:

9. Bebe

Bebe

10. easygirl

easygirl Read Only Funster

I've just had a reply from masaistore regarding the software that is supplied, she says its igo,primo, and is from 2001!

I presume this is a mistake as they only started producing this in 2006!

I've emailed to clarify, the good news is that igo primo is a well regarded software package, I hint it will be 2011, hopefully:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. ukbill

ukbill Funster

no custom to pay and yes 2001 is a mistake mine is up tp date

• Like Like x 1
  12. G4OGE

G4OGE

Don't forget to disable speed camera's as it is illegal to have it on in France and maybe others!.

13. easygirl

easygirl Read Only Funster

Uk bill
    Thanks, just ordered one:Smile:

14. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

I've got one of these as well.(the link put in by ukbill) I've not travelled overseas with it yet, but I am very impressed with it so far. Took a bit of head scratching to get to grips with all the bits and pieces, but it works well. Would recommend it too!:thumb:

15. Dai Howells

Dai Howells Read Only Funster

ukbill, just looked at the ebay link. Looks good but just 1 question: it says it comes with 1 map which can be the UK or other European countries, but did you get the UK and Europe included when you bought yours? And before anyon says it, yes I know the UK is in Europe :Laughing:

16. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

I got Europe with mine, but I did request that map when I ordered and they said no problem.

17. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Just ordered one bill :thumb: they didnt ask for choice of area so i assume can choose in menu from AU, USA, UK or EU listed in add ? can speed camera be disabled easily on it if need to in France etc ?
    just saw small print so should come with Eu map - Listed as Navigation iMigo Truck GPS 4GB Europe 2011 Map-Sat-Nav ... ?

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  18. ukbill

ukbill Funster

speed cameras can be switched of and all of europe is the map u need which includes uk and has full postal code select and map coordinates length and height it also asks the average speed you will do so that when i calculates the time it takes into account your speed if you have a via point it asks if there is waiting time and can also take this into account on the time it takes to destination when you cross the border into any country it asks if you want to save and view the rules of that country it is a impressive piece of kit and all for a small price but remember that due to the amount of info this gadget has its life without being plugged in is limited

• Like Like x 2
  19. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi UKbill ,
    You state it does postcodes, does it also route by GPS co-ordinates,map refs. Does the road you are travelling on on the screen stand out or is it a different colour so you can see which way you should be heading.

I ordered one from goodsales supposedly uk based but acxtually China, which seemed to be identical but it didn't support postcodes or no sound alerts or visible alerts for speed cameras, also unlike my old tomtom the road you are travelling on, on the screen wasn't a different colour so it didn't stand out from the rest of the map , hope you can understand what i mean.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Terry :sin: FIDGET

20. ukbill

ukbill Funster

yes it does post codes a nd gps also the road you need stands out and warnibg alerts are available you can program it to alert you in the way you want it to also alerts you of your speed the way you want it to say it can alert you to warn you when u r 10%of the limit

• Like Like x 1