What is considered expensive? (1 Viewer)

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
hello again everyone. While still new at this and not quite up for wild camping yet, I was wondering what is the "average" price for an overnight pitch? My wife and I were planning a weekend away to join a couple of friends at a site in East Lothian in February, and when we looked at the price for a serviced pitch it was nearly a hundred pounds for three nights! in February! We stayed at Scone Palace in September and I'm sure it wasn't even half that. Is this expensive or am I just being overly thrifty?

OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Sorry that's what I meant, they do have 'premium' pitches which are even more expensive, the basic pitch has electric hook up :-o

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Depends who you ask.

People who prefer to use things other than campsites might say that a tenner is scandalously expensive.

Dedicated campsite users and club members willl tell you 30 quid a night is becoming par for the course.

Either way if you think £100 for three nights is a lot it's probably best if you don't look at what a site somewhere like Lake Garda will cost you in the summer holidays (y)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Britstops/pub stops are still our preferred option in the UK. We usually eat out when we're away so the money we spend in the pub would in all likelihood be spent anyway.

I think the best campsite in the country is Lyndon Top where a pitch for the night will cost you an eye watering £7 (y)

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I agree that is a lot of money and generally we would only pay such fees if we wanted to be in the area in particular rather than the site facilities.
We travel with full water etc so often only use the site facilities for top ups and toilet emptying every three days. You are paying for many things that you will not use.
CL and CS sites will give much better value and most will have hook up, fresh water and black waste disposal as well a rubbish bins.
As for the wilding, we do it often as you will get some great spots and will have the saves night fees available for spending in the local area.
Many pubs will let you park for free if you are intending to have a few beers or some food and their car park will usually be covered by cctv to give you some piece of mind.
We have found quite a few harbours in little coastal villages that are safe and quiet.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Location location location.
Sometimes you have pay to be where you want to be...
However, when looking for a site, always keep in mind you have all the facilities you need onboard, so why pay twice?

Sometimes booking a site is easy but you'll pay for that convenience.

I'm fairly new to this but I'm not biased against any particular type of site/location. Commercial, club, cl, pubstop (my favorite) or layby.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think £100 for 3 nights is expensive for what you get in this country.

It's the way things are going though especially in some of the more popular club sites.

I used to like using the Chertsey C&C site but I can't always bring myself to pay what they want.

Yes I have paid much, much more in Spain in July/ August but at least there you get sun, sea, sand and sangria.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
The money isn't that much of an issue to be honest if it's a good site, although I don't think I'd pay any more than they are asking. We used to look at statics here thinking it was a nice place but having stayed in C&CC sites at half the price at a more hospitable time of year I just thought it was a bit steep.

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
It is expensive by my standards, too. Is it a privately-owned site?

Folks like to moan about CC & C&CC sites but, on the whole, they are better value. When we were in Scotland last year, we were surprised to find that the local councils owned some pretty respectable sites but they weren't cheap!

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What else does the site offer you for your money? - perhaps there are other facilities for free (or for a fee!) - I see one in the area has a bar, pool, children's play area etc

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When we are only going somewhere about 100 miles away for one night I often compare the cost of a site and diesel and travelling by car and staying at a hotel.

For one night the car/ hotel thing is usually cheaper.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
To be honest I haven't been there for a number of years and I understand the clubhouse that they had with a gym, bar and so on burned down a short time ago, they look like it's been rebuilt so maybe that's where the money is going?

Upvote 0

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Its why we tend to wild it, stayed on a site a couple of weeks ago - first one for ages - best part of £25, conditions were apalling, it was only when we left the next morning we discovered a nice little pull in drive into some woodlands which would have done the trick and saved some money... We have been so dissapointed with sites in this country its why we wild it, you pay for a pitch and dont know who you will be next to or who may come and pitch next to you, wilding it you can just move. You pays your money and takes the choice - i would rather keep me money an make me own choices ta !

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I agree with all of the comments so far, but for me the most pertinent is from @Janine.. Horses for courses !

If you go away lots, then cheaper may be better, but if you only get away a few times a year, you may be able to afford more.

One of my favourite local(ish) sites is Link Removed, but at £50 per night peak, I would only go there once or twice a year for a few nights as a special treat.
There were always a few regulars, who obviously could afford paying those fees more regularly than me.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
when we looked at the price for a serviced pitch

Why do you feel the need for a camp site nevermind a serviced pitch. You have a motor home not a caravan.
In fact in my view, if you want to spend time on sites you don't want a motor home, a caravan would be so much better.
A motor home is fully loaded and designed to be fully independant from sites. All you need is a car park / layby and a supply of water / toilet waste once week - sorted!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
As I said in my original post we are meeting a couple of friends at this site. We are beginners at the motorhome thing and would like to take a while getting in to it, one of our pairs of friends will be in a touring caravan so a site is the option. I didn't know there was a "thing" about using a site, or did I get the wrong impression?

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
....I didn't know there was a "thing" about using a site, or did I get the wrong impression?
We are all different and have different needs, but you have to expect when posting on an open forum, that there will be diverse answers, sometimes contrary to our own norms.
When the kids came away with us, we would head for big commercial sites, with swimming pools etc and would go back, year after year for them to meet up with their caravanning friends.
If me and the missus got away by ourselves for a few days, we would head for CLs or more exclusive sites.
When I get my new van in April and start solo touring, the only criteria will be for my dog to be welcome, so I may visit commercial sites, or CLs and CSs, or I may decide to follow @Stealaway and not mix with any of you lot :LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back