What is considered expensive? (1 Viewer)

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
hello again everyone. While still new at this and not quite up for wild camping yet, I was wondering what is the "average" price for an overnight pitch? My wife and I were planning a weekend away to join a couple of friends at a site in East Lothian in February, and when we looked at the price for a serviced pitch it was nearly a hundred pounds for three nights! in February! We stayed at Scone Palace in September and I'm sure it wasn't even half that. Is this expensive or am I just being overly thrifty?

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
It's a great shame that some people on here seem to think there is only one way to motorhome..........their way. With a few years behind them or many, some think that we newbies should do things a certain way or we are stupid. I joined the forum to willingly accept advice from people from their own experiences not to be lectured and told what to do. If I want to wild camp, use campsites or buy a MH and tow a caravan with it, it is my business and most of all, my money. Mine to spend wisely or waste as I see fit. I am very grateful for contributions to questions I may ask, but please leave me to make my own mistakes once you have advised me. I may even admit to them once made. We are not all the same. Long may that continue. Rant over. Mike

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
cant agree with that at all.

i have a motorhome...sometimes i like to travel tour wild camp and be completely independent.

some times i like to set down get my bikes off or scooter out and be like a caravanner..

each to their own if you ask me.

as for it being expensive? i have stayed on sites that are 90 e a night and ive stayed on sites that were a fiver. its all about what you want and why.

a travel lodge is cheaper than owning a MH ..someone once done a spread sheet taking in to consideration .deprieciation running cost etc . you can get about 20 travel lodge nights for the same money..

but?

Why the hell would you want too? and would you?

For others like me i just need somewhere to sleep. The motorhome is ideal,as would a travel lodge be if cheap enough. I turn up in the dark & usually leave early. I have no use nor need of any facilities except occasionally to dump the tank & fill with water.
There actually used to be a couple who lived in a travel lodge as it was far cheaper than owning /renting + council taxes etc.

But not happy to pay a few quid for camping.. Makes ya laugh doesn't it ..?? Lol
As others have said you've bought a vehicle that is capable of independent living so why would you wish to pay again?
I still can not see why any one would buy a motorhome and all the extra expense that involves --- Why not simply buy a much cheaper caravan and spend the savings on site fees.

Motor homes and site fees amounts to a double whammy.

Exactly .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
For others like me i just need somewhere to sleep. The motorhome is ideal,as would a travel lodge be if cheap enough. I turn up in the dark & usually leave early. I have no use nor need of any facilities except occasionally to dump the tank & fill with water.
There actually used to be a couple who lived in a travel lodge as it was far cheaper than owning /renting + council taxes etc.

As others have said you've bought a vehicle that is capable of independent living so why would you wish to pay again?

Exactly .
I own both a sports car and a large SUV but I don't go rallying or green-roading. My choice.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Exactly .

Not sure what point you are trying to make other than strengthening my argumen?

That's your choice to mh that way but tomorrow you may choose to stay on a site for a month. You can do both with a motor home.

People choose to MH in different ways its their choice and their money to do so..
Despite having an expensive van Mrs H likes nothing more than a bargain be it a free dog on the nightly rate to no charge for an awning..

We are soon to drive off to a 110e per night campsite for a ski trip including our own heated bathroom that we pull alongside.

Shortly before we go we are looking for somewhere to free camp in Saltburn for me to run a marathon in the moors.

It's simply about choice and the fact is IMO you have more options with a MH over a caravan. Or you can use MH a's a caravan but using a Caravan as a MH is quite difficult.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's a great shame that some people on here seem to think there is only one way to motorhome..........their way. With a few years behind them or many, some think that we newbies should do things a certain way or we are stupid. I joined the forum to willingly accept advice from people from their own experiences not to be lectured and told what to do. If I want to wild camp, use campsites or buy a MH and tow a caravan with it, it is my business and most of all, my money. Mine to spend wisely or waste as I see fit. I am very grateful for contributions to questions I may ask, but please leave me to make my own mistakes once you have advised me. I may even admit to them once made. We are not all the same. Long may that continue. Rant over. Mike

Well said.(y)

Just remember the desire to patronise seems to come with old age.

I am fighting it.:)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Personly, this week I think we are all crackers, we are here in albuferia bed and breakfast £26 a night for two, wall to wall sun , sea and sand, Ryanair £64 return for two , the dogs b....... (y) why would you want to spend £30 a night in a tin box , get your own meals and have to drive something as big as a truck through narrow streets:( and pay thousands for the privilege.
But, but, as soon as we have been home a fortnight you can bet your last penny we will be planning the next trip to France, in the van(n)(n)(n)(n)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Personly, this week I think we are all crackers, we are here in albuferia bed and breakfast £26 a night for two, wall to wall sun , sea and sand, Ryanair £64 return for two , the dogs b....... (y) why would you want to spend £30 a night in a tin box , get your own meals and have to drive something as big as a truck through narrow streets:( and pay thousands for the privilege.
But, but, as soon as we have been home a fortnight you can bet your last penny we will be planning the next trip to France, in the van(n)(n)(n)(n)

Personally I'll stick to the tin box somewhere in the rain but each to their own (y)

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think the only way IS to make up your own mind. The OP posed a question as regards costs of a site, in February, in Scotland and the cost was £100. The OP posed the question as to whether or not that was considered expensive by members other. Everyone has different views as to what is expensive. Everyone is entitled and encouraged to use their finances as they feel fit. Some people spend a fortune on what others deem trivialities but that's their choice.
Some people scrape together a few thousand pounds for a Moho and use it and it's a good piece of kit for them and because their on a budget, cheap, free or wild camping is their idea of a good break. Some even do it with kids and dogs and good luck to them. They can and do have marvellous breaks and holidays.
There are others who've Bern fortunate in life to have a few bib and decide to by a Moho that they find good. This may cost 1/4 million or more. They have every conceivable extra put on and in. 42" flat screen TV. Satellite system, air suspension, levels, washing machine, dryer, 4 solar panels, 2/3 leisure batteries, inverters, a tow bar, a trailer, a car to tow, electric bikes for all on board. Maybe even a butler or chauffeur. That's their style and then theirs the people in between.
You know where you spending power and priorities lay and irrespective of any advice given, that's all it is advice.. It's out there and you can choose to take it or ignore it or cherry pick what you consider good advice and ignore what you consider bad advice but if a question is posed tgen these forums are for people to reply to if they want. Give their advice if they want. Through their experiences or financial situation. I've asked a few questions and although there's a lot that wouldn't suit me, I am nevertheless grateful that someone has taken time and effort to bother to reply because they think it will help me and that's the big thing about FUN.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It's mostly the law of the land that determines where you park it. In the U.K. Then that will be mostly sites, we have no choice. Yes there will be some that say they have but some people don't want to park up and keep looking over their shoulder....

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It's mostly the law of the land that determines where you park it. In the U.K. Then that will be mostly sites, we have no choice. Yes there will be some that say they have but some people don't want to park up and keep looking over their shoulder....
That's why we use Brit Stops and lawful places. I appreciate ANYONE wanting or needing to use sites and we do ourselves occasionally when the need arises but a lot of our time that we spend in the Moho, is done in France, Luxembourg, Germany etc and that's where our preferences lay. We find it an extra buzz that we've had 2/3 weeks away (this year we're doing 7 weeks) and paid out in the region of €40/50 to park using Aires or municipal sites and that's without any wild camping either here or abroad so we don't need to keep looking over our shoulders for the authorities or the robbers who gas because I leave my Rolex at home.
Basically it is what it is. You and others like your time away in the Moho and stay where you choose and pay accordingly. We, in our Moho, meander through countries and stay where we choose as we have no plans only a return date. In that, if the Aire is €10, that is fine and if it's €0 it's brilliant and anywhere in between is good. Everyone chooses their level of desirability.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Personally I'll stick to the tin box somewhere in the rain but each to their own (y)
I thought my last sentence would show we also will be back in a tin box, but just saying if cost was the only provision there would be a lot of scrap vans about.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
To answer the original question as this thread as usual had gone away from it .. I consider anything over £21 per night expensive in the UK and anything over €25 in France..for a site with good facilities..Roy

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I think that is expensive. I have had mainly US RV's, which are fitted with standard hook up, and waste fittings.

When on site the electricity is hooked up, a simple water hose is connected to 'city water', and the black and grey waste is connected to the sewer. Very easy, and I can use all my own facilities, my shower, my toilet, and my washing facilities.

I don't need the illuminated toilet block, heated shower block, washing up sinks, waste emptying points, and water collection points, or chemicals, etc.

The site doesn't have to provide cleaners for my shower and toilet, doesn't have to maintain them, or supply toilet paper and products. My shower and toilet are looked after by my wife and me.

All that is required is an electricity point, a water tap, and a 4" sewer point that can be sealed when not i use.

Yet these pitches are described as 'super pitches' and are charged at a premium.

Craig

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
That's why we use Brit Stops and lawful places. I appreciate ANYONE wanting or needing to use sites and we do ourselves occasionally when the need arises but a lot of our time that we spend in the Moho, is done in France, Luxembourg, Germany etc and that's where our preferences lay. We find it an extra buzz that we've had 2/3 weeks away (this year we're doing 7 weeks) and paid out in the region of €40/50 to park using Aires or municipal sites and that's without any wild camping either here or abroad so we don't need to keep looking over our shoulders for the authorities or the robbers who gas because I leave my Rolex at home.
Basically it is what it is. You and others like your time away in the Moho and stay where you choose and pay accordingly. We, in our Moho, meander through countries and stay where we choose as we have no plans only a return date. In that, if the Aire is €10, that is fine and if it's €0 it's brilliant and anywhere in between is good. Everyone chooses their level of desirability.

I'm with you on this, that's why we're in Spain now.... used free aires through France, meandering through Spain and into Portugal useing free and paid aires and sites whichever takes our fancy. Haven't yet and probably won't pay more than 19€ a night for what I concider a good site that suited us at the time.

I hasten to add that I would pay a lot less and actively look for free places to stay if the Mrs wasn't with me...;)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
As a user of full facilities sites (until now 99% French or Italian ones) this thread has been very instructive for me. For family reasons, in 2017 we shall be touring in England for once, so I feel a bit of a newbie here.

Having said that, in the long run unless MHers and caravanners are willing to pay relatively high pitch fees, the private site owners will replace more touring pitches with mobile homes and lodges, which are relatively profitable. Or, they will sell up and the site will be developed for housing. The shortage of cheap land for caravan sites, and Planning policies that prioritise finding land for hundreds of thousands of new homes, while preserving the Green Belt as much as possible, tends to restrict the creation of new private sites with touring pitches that will become available in future, while the number of MHs and caravans (and tenters) seems to have no upper limit. My impression is that although the CC has substantial financial reserves, it only opens a few new sites. The cost of pitch fees is only going to go up while availability especially at peak times will become more restricted.

I may be wrong, but my perception is that this might well become a "use it or lose it" situation, for some site owners.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As a user of full facilities sites (until now 99% French or Italian ones) this thread has been very instructive for me. For family reasons, in 2017 we shall be touring in England for once, so I feel a bit of a newbie here.

Having said that, in the long run unless MHers and caravanners are willing to pay relatively high pitch fees, the private site owners will replace more touring pitches with mobile homes and lodges, which are relatively profitable. Or, they will sell up and the site will be developed for housing. The shortage of cheap land for caravan sites, and Planning policies that prioritise finding land for hundreds of thousands of new homes, while preserving the Green Belt as much as possible, tends to restrict the creation of new private sites with touring pitches that will become available in future, while the number of MHs and caravans (and tenters) seems to have no upper limit. My impression is that although the CC has substantial financial reserves, it only opens a few new sites. The cost of pitch fees is only going to go up while availability especially at peak times will become more restricted.

I may be wrong, but my perception is that this might well become a "use it or lose it" situation, for some site owners.
To be fair, certainly IMHO, I considered them too dear relatively 25 years ago and still consider the sites too expensive now. I appreciate what you're saying and I'm sure there are lots of folk willing to pay upwards of £25 a night for a piece of grass but I'm not one of them and I'm bet I'm not alone in that stance.
In saying that, I've heard these words 50+ years ago. I remember an owner saying it to my Dad when we were pretty rare sight in the 60's having a touring caravan and Land Rover.
This was the era when it was the Camping Club and we were in the BCC section which was Cheshire and North Wales.
That's why I'm a fan of Brit Stops and Aires in France.
Use it or lose it? Yep, same expression but they did get more and more sites over the years. The reason they may shrink in amount is because developers come along with hard cash and a good offer so they sell irrespective whether they want to or not. They've all got their price.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Your quote 'capable of independent living'
No still lost , sorry.:(
Not sure what point you are trying to make other than strengthening my argumen?

That's your choice to mh that way but tomorrow you may choose to stay on a site for a month. You can do both with a motor home.

People choose to MH in different ways its their choice and their money to do so..
Despite having an expensive van Mrs H likes nothing more than a bargain be it a free dog on the nightly rate to no charge for an awning..

We are soon to drive off to a 110e per night campsite for a ski trip including our own heated bathroom that we pull alongside.

Shortly before we go we are looking for somewhere to free camp in Saltburn for me to run a marathon in the moors.

It's simply about choice and the fact is IMO you have more options with a MH over a caravan. Or you can use MH a's a caravan but using a Caravan as a MH is quite difficult.

Yes I had to re-read my post. It isn't clear. By turning up in the dark /leaving early I meant at the layby/aire/service area I'd use. I never use sites of any descriptions.
& there are plenty of places still legally usable in the UK .

Back to the OP . I consider any out lay too expensive. :D

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes I had to re-read my post. It isn't clear. By turning up in the dark /leaving early I meant at the layby/aire/service area I'd use. I never use sites of any descriptions.
Good thing we are all different as I would very seldom use any other than a site in the UK and use mainly municipal sites in France.. But that's my choice and no way do I consider what I pay to be expensive for what I need ..

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
To answer the original question as this thread as usual had gone away from it .. I consider anything over £21 per night expensive in the UK and anything over €25 in France..for a site with good facilities..Roy

Now there's another question. Define "good" facilities.

Is there an out and out right answer or is it yet another thing that's specific to the individual user? Are my "good" facilities unacceptable to you or vice versa?

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Personally I think 'good' facilities are a personal view. I think it's good when it's handy for me to stop, get the chairs out and have a nice relaxing brew (tea or wine depending if it's after 10.00 am. Really good if EHU that's free along with fresh water and facilities to empty. Brilliant if views are very good.
We all have different standards and thank goodness we do otherwise we'd all be driving the same Moho, going to the same destination at the same time of year and think of that when 20 odd million families all rushing for a ferry.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Personally I think 'good' facilities are a personal view

I agree. That's why I posted.

If someone asks for a recommendation for a site with "good facilities" they will have an idea in their head of what they expect.

If you or me or anyone else gives a recommendation based our idea of what it means there's every chance the person who asked will be disappointed.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I agree. That's why I posted.

If someone asks for a recommendation for a site with "good facilities" they will have an idea in their head of what they expect.

If you or me or anyone else gives a recommendation based our idea of what it means there's every chance the person who asked will be disappointed.
Spot on

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Now there's another question. Define "good" facilities.

Is there an out and out right answer or is it yet another thing that's specific to the individual user? Are my "good" facilities unacceptable to you or vice versa?
Doesn't matter whether my idea of good facilities are the same as yours Nic as long as they suit me .you make your choice and let me make mine . ..Roy

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
As the man said "opinions are like a********, everyone has one". Just because you don't agree with me does not necessarily mean that you are wrong.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Doesn't matter whether my idea of good facilities are the same as yours Nic as long as they suit me .you make your choice and let me make mine . ..Roy

Of course Roy, that goes without saying. (y)

My point was about where people ask for or give recommendations based on nothing more than the term "good facilities" without being specific as to what they actually mean.

Example:

If someone asks for a site with "good facilities" but neglects to mention that for them that absolutely has to include an indoor heated swimming pool and someone else recommends their favourite site that doesn't happen to have such a pool the person who asked for the recommendation is going to be disappointed. In their mind "good facilities" obviously includes an indoor heated pool so why would they need to specifically mention it.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Of course Roy, that goes without saying. (y)

My point was about where people ask for or give recommendations based on nothing more than the term "good facilities" without being specific as to what they actually mean.

Example:

If someone asks for a site with "good facilities" but neglects to mention that for them that absolutely has to include an indoor heated swimming pool and someone else recommends their favourite site that doesn't happen to have such a pool the person who asked for the recommendation is going to be disappointed. In their mind "good facilities" obviously includes an indoor heated pool so why would they need to specifically mention it.

Totally agree that people need to be specific with their requirements before a sensible answer can actually be given, it's the same as when people talk about this van is "quality" and this one isn't, again one mans "quality" is another mans "tat", a "quality" product is imply one that fits your requirements so we are back to the start.

Martin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back