What is considered expensive? (1 Viewer)

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
hello again everyone. While still new at this and not quite up for wild camping yet, I was wondering what is the "average" price for an overnight pitch? My wife and I were planning a weekend away to join a couple of friends at a site in East Lothian in February, and when we looked at the price for a serviced pitch it was nearly a hundred pounds for three nights! in February! We stayed at Scone Palace in September and I'm sure it wasn't even half that. Is this expensive or am I just being overly thrifty?

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
To some people a good site is one with bars, shops, saunas, swimming pools, kids play areas, social facilities, bingo halls, hairdressers, etc, etc. To others a good site is somewhere convenient, safe and very quiet and anything else makes it a holiday camp of bygone days (sorry to those who like Skegness)

To me, a good site is any location safe and convenient enough to put up for a single night. I don't need shower blocks, I have a shower on board, I don't need toilet blocks, I have a toilet of my own. I don't want a swimming pool that stinks of chlorine after kids have been relieving themselves in it all season, I have my own clean one at home. But I am not a parent of young kids and I have a fairly good social life at home, I use my MH for exploring/touring, not as a fairly static platform for family holiday stays

If I was exhausted and found myself in an area in which I was unsure about pulling up for the night, then £30 is a price I would willingly pay for security and rest for the odd night.

One man's meat is another's poison

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Totally agree that people need to be specific with their requirements before a sensible answer can actually be given, it's the same as when people talk about this van is "quality" and this one isn't, again one mans "quality" is another mans "tat", a "quality" product is imply one that fits your requirements so we are back to the start.

Martin
Don't think I actually need to quantify my idea of good facilities as i am sure most people that use campsites know exactly what I mean . Also never recommended any site prices only the amount I prefer to pay to use sites and what I am prepared to pay for those facilities. Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't think I actually need to quantify my idea of good facilities as i am sure most people that use campsites know exactly what I mean . Also never recommended any site prices only the amount I prefer to pay to use sites and what I am prepared to pay for those facilities. Roy
Actually I have not got a clue what you would concider "good facilities" and I assume you don't know my mind either.

I have used campsites with fantastic shower blocks but the elsan dump is miles away and no drive over waste point so is that good or bad "facilities"?

Martin

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
So in essence, you'd prefer to stay within a particular budget irrespective of facilities. Personally, I like that but I do have bargain basement budget. I don't have a problem with paying for facilities if I need or desire them or if I wanted to visit a particular area but I'm all for safe parking in quiet location, possibly with other like minded souls of any nationality and a few glasses of a red wine for me and white or rose for SWMBO. I get a particular buzz (as does SWMBO) from getting a nice scenic aire with EHU and emptying facilities and fresh water for free. We can then spend our money in the local town to aid their economy.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Actually I have not got a clue what you would concider "good facilities" and I assume you don't know my mind either.

I have used campsites with fantastic shower blocks but the elsan dump is miles away and no drive over waste point so is that good or bad "facilities"?

Martin
I think if one is asking for recommendations for sites then they need to say what minimum standards they require as @NickNic said. If standards are flexible then a budget would be ideal so folk have something to go on for recommending a site, Aire or area etc

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

Martin
Exactly !!!

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
So in essence, you'd prefer to stay within a particular budget irrespective of facilities. Personally, I like that but I do have bargain basement budget. I don't have a problem with paying for facilities if I need or desire them or if I wanted to visit a particular area but I'm all for safe parking in quiet location, possibly with other like minded souls of any nationality and a few glasses of a red wine for me and white or rose for SWMBO. I get a particular buzz (as does SWMBO) from getting a nice scenic aire with EHU and emptying facilities and fresh water for free. We can then spend our money in the local town to aid their economy.
At last a sensible well thought out response . Thankyou.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Might have mentioned this before - price and/or facilities are totally irrelevant initially as long as the site/carpark/field is where I want to be and has space when I want it.

Only if there is more than one place, in the right place will I consider price or facilities.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Might have mentioned this before - price and/or facilities are totally irrelevant initially as long as the site/carpark/field is where I want to be and has space when I want it.

Only if there is more than one place, in the right place will I consider price or facilities.
The only difference then is that your requirements are
Facilities
Whereas others have different combinations of the same. All in all there's no difference just a preferable order.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Location is all for me.

I'm happy with a space in a car park if it's where I want to be.

If the location happens to be a campsite then I'm not in the least bit interested in what "facilities" it has beyond water, waste dumps and I suppose EHU because I don't use anything more than that even if it's there. Even the EHU isn't essential and if I wanted to share a shower or toilet with loads of other people I wouldn't have spent a fortune on a vehicle that has those things in it.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Location is all for me.

I'm happy with a space in a car park if it's where I want to be.

If the location happens to be a campsite then I'm not in the least bit interested in what "facilities" it has beyond water, waste dumps and I suppose EHU because I don't use anything more than that even if it's there. Even the EHU isn't essential and if I wanted to share a shower or toilet with loads of other people I wouldn't have spent a fortune on a vehicle that has those things in it.
Yep so my precis was correct in your case then?

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Last year we averaged £3 per night on Aires and £18 per night on sites (though we only got the MH at the end of July so only 20 nights in all). The most expensive site we stayed at was £25 - it was all we could get at late notice but it turned out to be fabulous and I don't begrudge the price at all (a very quiet adults only site, impeccably maintained).

For me its all about location and ambience - price and facilities are of course a consideration but are very much secondary. If I'm only staying overnight and the location is good then I'm ok with a car park kind of feeling, but I always prefer to see greenery rather than concrete around me and if I'm staying for a few days then I want to be able to spread out, get the bbq out and chill. If that means we need to pay for a site to get that, then fine. If we can get it for cheap/free on an aire then great. If we're on a site and the facilities are decent and convenient then we will usually use them, if they're not very nice or they're miles away or its cold or raining then we'll use our own. The best thing with a MH is having the choice (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back