What are you paying to use a 5-van sites now? (2 Viewers)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We have been discussing CCP a fair bit on my other thread, saying how dear they are but at the moment they are not much more than a tenner including electric.
But CCP aren't in the UK? And not everyone wants to travel to Europe for various reasons. Discussed many times of course ;)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
No I wasn't criticizeing, just a general question, as the land is still standing there and presumably the drains are still the same as they was there is only electric that I can see making a difference.
We generally see eye to eye on topics and I think we still do here, but IIRC you've always owned your property, drains, hedges, fences, barns and grazing meadows etc. so in effect it costs you nothing to maintain, (except perhaps the cost of precautions to keep 'travellers' off the land. :giggle:). Even if a site owner owns it outright (which I doubt that many do) there are still substantial maintenance and repair costs and the upgrading needed for ever-increasing H&S requirements, insurance, water and sewage services...........
From what I've seen on small sites and for the 7 days a week time and effort at the beck and call of the general public when running a 5 pitch site I'd prefer to earn the bottom line pocket money by working a few nights a week in a pub.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Nobody likes having to pay more. However I would rather pay up a bit more than have landowners turn their CL/CSs into paddocks or grazing which might earn them more with less hassle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Where is this?
At a different one tonight no bunnies but chip van due in at 8pm

Just outside wittering and tonight just north of Chapel St Leonards

Attachments

• 16651640350194816899042032701648.jpg
    16651640350194816899042032701648.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 26
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
considerable income will have been lost during the Covid lockdowns.
& what has that got to do with it? Most people were in the same boat ,or worse, whereas many buisnesses & self employed received handouts. What was lost was lost ,& that is the end of it.
Anyone trying to recover what they didn't earn due to covid won't be getting anything from me.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
& what has that got to do with it? Most people were in the same boat ,or worse, whereas many buisnesses & self employed received handouts. What was lost was lost ,& that is the end of it.
Anyone trying to recover what they didn't earn due to covid won't be getting anything from me.
Quoting a bit out of context with the rest of that post there Gus.

But many businesses still had their costs to pay for and didnā€™t get much, if any help from the U.K. government during that time and lost a great deal of income. Think that was what he was saying.

Mine for one, whilst, over the first year (2020-2021) survived, the income was down 35% and the business was totally shut down for 10 weeks. Despite a full diary.

But to be honest that is a whole different thread to have.

However, Rishi Sunak f****d over many small businesses. But certainly looked after the corporates and actually many self-employed. But again many werenā€™t so lucky.

Have I increased my prices since. Hell yes, but I am still very much low cost as control my costs well. As a consultant I have an 8 week lead time as so busy.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Our main CL that we use has recently gone up from Ā£12 pn to Ā£14 pn incl leccy. At the site we also get free use of a washing machine, and free wifi. Not to bad me thinks. Another site we use a few times a year normally, is Ā£14 with, or Ā£10 without. Again, great value imo.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Pure supposition, Gus, as these days I don't have any first-hand involvement in any businesses. However, bearing in mind the reports of increasing numbers of 'Marbella bucket and spade' people holidaying in the U.K. during the pandemic I can imagine that a business owner may see (or saw) it as an opportunity to recover part of any lockdown losses by exploiting the anecdotally high demand from motorhomers, caravanners, maybe their holiday chalets and people offering Air BnB types of accommodations.
If I still had a business I'd probably do the same as long as it didn't result in a reduction in profit. However, my main point was that everyone is now suffering from the effects of inflation and the hike in energy costs, which will undoubtedly prompt customers to be more selective with regard to what they pay and where they spend their disposable income but I don't expect it to force prices down.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Our main CL that we use has recently gone up from Ā£12 pn to Ā£14 pn incl leccy. At the site we also get free use of a washing machine, and free wifi. Not to bad me thinks. Another site we use a few times a year normally, is Ā£14 with, or Ā£10 without. Again, great value imo.
Sensible prices. Some of these new ones at Ā£25 and Ā£30 aren't likely to get much trade methinks.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I stayed at 3 different CLā€˜s last week in Kent, all with EHU. Cheapest was Ā£15, then Ā£20, the highest was a business that had just increased their price from Ā£20 to Ā£28 per night.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
The site where I was that went from Ā£20 to Ā£28 explained that the cost of electricity went from 28p per unit to 59p and they couldnā€™t absorb that level of increase. I mentioned the fact that a lot of MH now have diesel heaters, solar panels, can heat water by gas and have much better insulation aLeo that many people are only there overnight going out all day. She accepted that the use of electricity varies a lot from camper to camper and intends to install coin operated meters - then put price back down again. Seems like a good idea to me.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I stayed at 3 different CLā€˜s last week in Kent, all with EHU. Cheapest was Ā£15, then Ā£20, the highest was a business that had just increased their price from Ā£20 to Ā£28 per night.
The Ā£28 one must have been the same one as the one we were at near Sandwich.

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017
Where was the Ā£15 CL you stayed at ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The site where I was that went from Ā£20 to Ā£28 explained that the cost of electricity went from 28p per unit to 59p and they couldnā€™t absorb that level of increase. I mentioned the fact that a lot of MH now have diesel heaters, solar panels, can heat water by gas and have much better insulation aLeo that many people are only there overnight going out all day. She accepted that the use of electricity varies a lot from camper to camper and intends to install coin operated meters - then put price back down again. Seems like a good idea to me.
I agree that meters would be a better solution than big hikes in site fees. We may also see more changing their 16A breakers with 10A ones, some have already done it.

I think most motorhomes and caravans donā€™t have to use electric heating but choose to do so when on ehu. It is human nature to use site electricity rather than your own gas when you can. Last Christmas we were on a site that had meters, we were allowed 10 units a day within the site fees but had to pay for anything more. The 10 units was enough for battery charging, fridge and boiling the kettle but not for heating. It cost us far less to use our gas than their electricity for heating and that was before the big electric price increases.

A litre of lpg at our nearest Morrisons costs 80p and this equates to 7kWh so 1 kWh of gas costs about 11.4p. I am not sure what businesses have to pay for a unit of electricity but even at the domestic cap 1 kWh is costing 34p. I know gas is less efficient than electricity but Truma claim a gas efficiency for their combi boiler of over 90%, which makes the site electricity at least 2.7 times more expensive than my gas. One way or another I am going to have to pay for site electricity, either by increased site fees or by meter. Time for us all to give up electric heating.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I must admit we are still getting used to the diesel heater in our new MH. Itā€™s so much warmer than the Truma gas/electric heater in our previous MH AND much quicker too. Yet to get the balance right between too warm and too chilly but itā€™s an amazing piece of kit and uses very little diesel out of the vehicle tank.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Except I hope they donā€™t really intend to use coin operated meters and have some sort of card system. You say this was attached to a business. ( I wonder if it was where we stopped early this year) Given the much lower use of cash these days I think they may find people going into the business and asking to swap notes for coins if they do. Actually given the security risk of coin meters they may find they are difficult to get installed.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
A litre of lpg at our nearest Morrisons costs 80p and this equates to 7kWh so 1 kWh of gas costs about 11.4p. I am not sure what businesses have to pay for a unit of electricity but even at the domestic cap 1 kWh is costing 34p. I know gas is less efficient than electricity but Truma claim a gas efficiency for their combi boiler of over 90%, which makes the site electricity at least 2.7 times more expensive than my gas. One way or another I am going to have to pay for site electricity, either by increased site fees or by meter. Time for us all to give up electric heating.
Whilst that is true, if you are using gas for heating and hot water you'll find yourself having to refill your cylinders every couple of weeks rather then every couple of months or longer, as LPG is getting increasingly difficult to find this also needs to be taken into consideration, I only tend to use gas to cook unless i'm off grid, I'm full time in the motorhome and I last filled up at the end of July and am now half way through the second 11kg cylinder.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I only have tiny bottles 3.9 so I book onto sites so I can cook on leccy light and warm van and have hot shower (in the van) . I have solar but mostly wild camp cheap sites are used for the basics of van servicing and a little extra
last week paid Ā£10 per night which I was very happy with then went to the beach and paid another Ā£4.00 to park before returning to the site I find that I use the leccy as carefully on site as I do off grid Also the water heater helps to heat the van so reduces the heating. I turn the radiator heater on to warm it up and then turn it off, this seems to keep the temperature comfortable until sleep time turn on water and heater again before I get up once up showered and dishes washed all is then turned off
Both sites I used were very nice and I feel that frugal users will be punished for the awning warmers
We should all use less energy if we can , I am getting cold now so off the turn up the heating :whistle2:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A litre of lpg at our nearest Morrisons costs 80p and this equates to 7kWh so 1 kWh of gas costs about 11.4p. I am not sure what businesses have to pay for a unit of electricity but even at the domestic cap 1 kWh is costing 34p. I know gas is less efficient than electricity but Truma claim a gas efficiency for their combi boiler of over 90%, which makes the site electricity at least 2.7 times more expensive than my gas. One way or another I am going to have to pay for site electricity, either by increased site fees or by meter. Time for us all to give up
All the vans we have had the heating has been gas only.
The new van on order, like all our vans I've not bothered with the electric option on the Truma. Can't see the point of paying Ā£645 for the electric option, that pays for a lot of gas.

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
We are quiet at the CL this October and only seeing non Funsters this month. :cry: Someone mentioned to me last week that they nearly didn't visit as they were only expecting a muddy field with long grass for the price. Always nice when guest ask to stay another night and tell us they will return.

The field currently looks a lot bigger, we have just cut our nature reserve at the far end, ready for new grass next year. Received quite a few protests from our resident field mice, stopped the mower many times waiting for them to move out of the way. That grass was above waist height, so it took some time to cut and collect and has left us with a mountain of grass. If anybody wants some grass, please bring a truck. :LOL::LOL:

Thank you all for your input on this thread, we are not going to go into detail about our expenses but anybody who has visited us will fully understand our small price increase for next year. And for those who have never been to Woodside Field, we are a large open field surrounded by woodlands and hedges with taps, elsan point, grey sink and drive over emptying point. Not a white peg in sight, park where you like, but all this has to be maintained. Servicing costs on equipment has shot up along with black tank emptying costs, fuel, advertising, grass seed, insurance, the list goes on. And has anybody noticed what we provide at the Fun rallies?

We are closing for the winter in a few weeks and looking forward to welcoming a lot more Funsters next season. We already have several Fun rallies booked in for next year and more to be announced soon. If you are unable to make a rally date, please visit the CL if you are down this way. You know what they say, use it or lose it.

And on the subject of rallies, Motorhome fun is incredibly lucky to have so many unsung heroes organising rallies around the country for you benefit. Please support them and help out If you can.
Safe travels everybody.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I am not sure what businesses have to pay for a unit of electricity
I can tell you ;) my son has a gym. Currently paying 45p/kWh. About to increase to 118p less 35p EBRS (govt discount) so 83p. No cap on business accounts. It's a massive worry

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Thereā€™s a growing trend, methinks, for landowners to set up CLs that are levelled, well-tended, with hardstandings and full facilities on each pitch. Thatā€™s probably being encouraged by the CAMC. For those you will probably pay Ā£25 and up per night. Others go further, with washrooms, laundry facilities and wifi for an even higher charge. Iā€™ve tried a few of both those types and some I would go back to because they are worth it. One (near Chichester) has just upped their pitch fees by over Ā£5 to Ā£30+ per night which to me is unjustified and sadly theyā€™re now off my list. Iā€™m not saying where the good ones are because I want to get into them next time.
That all said, for me and many others I suspect, a simple field with peace, quiet and basic facilities is adequate and if the cost p/n is reasonable they will never go out of business.
There must be a temptation to bump up prices but the market will sort that out over time and the good will prosper and the greedy wither.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back