What are you paying to use a 5-van sites now? (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
For me , everyone is different. Depends on what folk see as VFM. All too recently these “aires” are popping up in Scotland for £10 a night and offering nothing more than 4 wheels on the ground . Millport aire was born through MHF but now wants £18 per night. I don’t need elec so why would I want to be held to ransom at any site that adds these costs on regardless of 5 CL or not.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I am just curious as to why you have no choice but to increase your costs? As I recall there is no electricity available on your site ,water and elsan point yes.
Can you advise what causes your prices to rise?
If it was a bit nearer I'd be a regular at those prices.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
We had a few days to fill and used Search for sites. Found a lovely farm site for £6 with water and waste disposal, then moved on to £10 with electric which was actually £15 when we got there. As for quakers land, we love it. Unless you have visited, you cannot appreciate the lawn, and suitability of this site for a rally
Didn't know Search for sites was out in the 60s

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Speaking as the owner of a paddock, 'Just a field' does require regular mowing, plus raking, watering and reseeding at times. Mowing grass takes up a lot of time and how well mown the grass is seems to come up constantly in reviews of sites - that costs more than it did and it takes a lot of time. Most people like to be paid for their time, too.
Repairs have to be made after wet weather/heavy vehicles. Petrol is also required for hedge trimming. Fences and gates and access roads have to be maintained and all costs for materials have risen - ordinary wooden fence posts now cost a shocking amount. In addition if someone is depending upon their additional income from that field for part of their living costs - all costs have risen. So I'd understand if 'just a field' may have to cost more than it did last year.
If we stay somewhere and don't find it offers enough to justify the cost, we don't go again, simple as that. But we do take maintenance of the site into consideration in our assessment, we appreciate a well maintained field!

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
A CL/CS is a campsite that is limited to 5 caravans and motorhomes, plus a few tents. It may or may not have hardstandings/ehu/toilets/showers. It is up to the site owner to decide what facilities they want to provide. The big difference is that a CL/CS does not need full planning permission but is authorised through a club that certifies it complies with minimum standards.
Unfortunately the addition of facilities is just following the market where a lot of newer (not proper campers) won't go without these.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Only read the first page of this thread but £25/night for a CL!!

Someone may know otherwise but I understood that site owners are given price guidance by the big clubs. The cynic in me might believe that if those conversations go along the lines of charging what the market will stand and Cls still look more reasonable than the clubs inflated prices, then it's only us, the poor punters who are losing out.

For me, all the more reason to enjoy aires and camp sites abroad.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Speaking as the owner of a paddock, 'Just a field' does require regular mowing, plus raking, watering and reseeding at times. Mowing grass takes up a lot of time and how well mown the grass is seems to come up constantly in reviews of sites - that costs more than it did and it takes a lot of time. Most people like to be paid for their time, too.
Repairs have to be made after wet weather/heavy vehicles. Petrol is also required for hedge trimming. Fences and gates and access roads have to be maintained and all costs for materials have risen - ordinary wooden fence posts now cost a shocking amount. In addition if someone is depending upon their additional income from that field for part of their living costs - all costs have risen. So I'd understand if 'just a field' may have to cost more than it did last year.
If we stay somewhere and don't find it offers enough to justify the cost, we don't go again, simple as that. But we do take maintenance of the site into consideration in our assessment, we appreciate a well maintained field!
Wouldn’t it require mowing/trimming anyway? It would make no odds to me if the hedge was trimmed or not, once your blinds are closed in the winter you see nowt anyway.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Our local CS is putting it's price up to £25 over winter to cover electric prices.( Basic shower and toilet)

Our other local CS is closing for winter as they are embarrassed to charge what they would have to to break even.

Aug 5, 2020
West Country
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since 2020
As our season draws to close in a few weeks at Woodside Field, just wondering what you have been paying this year at the smaller 5-van sites if you visit them? We have tried to keep our price down but next year will have no choice but to increase our £12.50 per night. So, you only have a few weeks left at our current rate and we still have blackberries and hazelnuts to pick and plenty of leaves to kick in the woods.
Safe travels.
I’ve just looked at your website and it seems you are already charging £12.50 per night

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
As our season draws to close in a few weeks at Woodside Field, just wondering what you have been paying this year at the smaller 5-van sites if you visit them? We have tried to keep our price down but next year will have no choice but to increase our £12.50 per night. So, you only have a few weeks left at our current rate and we still have blackberries and hazelnuts to pick and plenty of leaves to kick in the woods.
Safe travels.
Hi Quackers , in answer to your question we have been paying £8/£10 at various basic (water/elson) sites mostly west & mid Wales area this year . Paid £15/£17.50 for sites with hard standing pitch or basic grass electric and hot water showers + washing up areas .
Happy to pay upto £12 for a basic site water /elson in the area we wish to explore , we have tow car so basic out of the way type sites in the areas we want to visit are for us . However if it's a group rally or a fun meet we are and have been happy to pay what the rally charge if it is what we want to do at that time and in the area we want to visit. Sadly when we booked to do a rally on your site we had to cancel due to flash floods and leaking conservatory. We have yet to visit your area and surrounding towns .Funsters highly recommend rally's at your site and hopefully one day we shall visit .
Kind regards Kate x

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Tucked up at cl with ehu water loos grey and black waste near village and pub £10.00. And very nice e grass , with resident bunny rabbit 🐰

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Crail £22 inc EHU. Limited options near St Andrews but will try one of beach £10/night aires next time. Trouble is, if they’re full, you’re stuck.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Why would you run a cl for £10 per night? Dog exercise fields around here charge £10 per HOUR per person and seem very busy all the time. We are in danger of losing nice places to stay by insisting on low pricing.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone paying that sort of amount to walk a dog should be done away with. That's what causes increased prices & inflation, half wits like that.
I find that incredible, £10 per hour to walk your dog in a field. Some folk live in a different world and they say there’s a cost of living crisis.
Unbelievable.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I find that incredible, £10 per hour to walk your dog in a field. Some folk live in a different world and they say there’s a cost of living crisis.
Unbelievable.
My neighbours dog goes to a dog hotel.

Comfy rooms with TV !

They take the dog there the night before going away, 50 mile round trip in the gas guzzler. Off to Cancún for two weeks. Collect dog day after returning home.

Comes into the pub few weeks later moaning he’s skint.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Unbelievable.
Not only that, but my daughter was paying someone £10 per hour to walk her dog every day when she was at work. The dog walker had a brand new VW T6 and had 5 dogs at a time, and was booked up most days, good money to be made!

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
We have set a price cap on ourselves, in the UK we will not pay more than £25 pn and we tell any site owners that they are to expensive if when we phone them they are over our budget. We only stay where we want to be, we do not go somewhere just because it's cheap but it's getting harder to find sites as they all seem to have put their prices up due to the electric price rises so we are using the solar panel more this year and will be getting another one very soon.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Not only that, but my daughter was paying someone £10 per hour to walk her dog every day when she was at work. The dog walker had a brand new VW T6 and had 5 dogs at a time, and was booked up most days, good money to be made!
Talking to a plasterer few months ago. His wife set up a dog walking business. Now employs two other walkers (probably cash). She’s making more money than he is. He’s working 5-6 days a week

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Safe travels.
If you are not supplying electric, what makes the difference that you have to increase your prices.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If you are not supplying electric, what makes the difference that you have to increase your prices.
Now then chaser, quite apart from electricity we are all feeling the effect of inflation on every area of our daily living.
E.g. If a site owner has a mortgage on the land and home/premises or an improvements loan, that will be costing more.
Notwithstanding that, considerable income will have been lost during the Covid lockdowns.
I cannot see how a site owner wouldn't find it necessary to increase prices.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
People who run CLs are rarely doing it for fun, they are in business to make some money, either to make a living or at least supplement what they are earning elsewhere. If people think they are too expensive and making lots of money, why not try doing it yourself? You may find it is not as easy as it seems to be. I certainly would not want to do it for what most of them are charging.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Now then chaser, quite apart from electricity we are all feeling the effect of inflation on every area of our daily living.
E.g. If a site owner has a mortgage on the land and home/premises or an improvements loan, that will be costing more.
Notwithstanding that, considerable income will have been lost during the Covid lockdowns.
I cannot see how a site owner wouldn't find it necessary to increase prices.
No I wasn't criticizeing, just a general question, as the land is still standing there and presumably the drains are still the same as they was there is only electric that I can see making a difference.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No I wasn't criticizeing, just a general question, as the land is still standing there and presumably the drains are still the same as they was there is only electric that I can see making a difference.
We have been discussing CCP a fair bit on my other thread, saying how dear they are but at the moment they are not much more than a tenner including electric.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back