what an idiot! (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
why would you pay a deposit in the first place, I have had a number of extra's and never been asked for or offered a deposit, I cetainly would not give one if requested !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
why would you pay a deposit in the first place, I have had a number of extra's and never been asked for or offered a deposit, I cetainly would not give one if requested !!
yes, you are right...thats why i said I! me!
(not the tradesman) is the idiot. Its been really helpful being told that others would not pay a deposit, and I have certainly learned a valuable lesson. My aim in posting the thread, was not to give one particular tradesman a bad name, but to have a little rant( at myself) in what i thought was a safe place to do so. Judging by some of the responses , I have now become the devil incarnate!

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Sue having read through all the threads at no point have you named the tradesman so therefore i can't see why some people are getting so worked up. I can understand you entirely it's the sort of thing I would have done and I too would want my money back under the same circumstances.

People give the girl some slack she just wanted to vent about what had happened it's a learning curve this motorhome lark. Are we all so perfect and have never made a mistake. One of mine was not telling my Husband that the deposit we made when buying our last motorhome was "non refundable" it was £1,000 and boy did I panic until we had completed the sale. This was due to neither of us reading the terms and conditions of the order form we signed at the time.

Sonja

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Sue
1] you're not an idiot - far from it
2] you're not alone in doing this sort of thing - I bet everyone on here could give at least one example in the not too distant past!! - my last one was February
3] you've admitted you made a mistake - more than some people would do
4] therefore I'd agree with your earlier decision NOT to name the trader - it's just a trader not going with "the customer is always right" myth, and anyway you're dealing with it
5] take a deep breath in, breathe out all the frustration, and smile - it's a new day!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
@Sue
1] you're not an idiot - far from it
2] you're not alone in doing this sort of thing - I bet everyone on here could give at least one example in the not too distant past!! - my last one was February
3] you've admitted you made a mistake - more than some people would do
4] therefore I'd agree with your earlier decision NOT to name the trader - it's just a trader not going with "the customer is always right" myth, and anyway you're dealing with it
5] take a deep breath in, breathe out all the frustration, and smile - it's a new day!
:):):) thank you!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Sue having read through all the threads at no point have you named the tradesman so therefore i can't see why some people are getting so worked up. I can understand you entirely it's the sort of thing I would have done and I too would want my money back under the same circumstances.

People give the girl some slack she just wanted to vent about what had happened it's a learning curve this motorhome lark. Are we all so perfect and have never made a mistake. One of mine was not telling my Husband that the deposit we made when buying our last motorhome was "non refundable" it was £1,000 and boy did I panic until we had completed the sale. This was due to neither of us reading the terms and conditions of the order form we signed at the time.

Sonja
brilliant comment, thanks !

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Sue, following on from my earlier reply which you answered saying you cancelled and not postponed as I thought you had done, I really think that as you say you made a mistake in ordering in the first place, it maybe different now the rules on ordering goods with a deposit on the phone(or whatever) but I think that the dealer is probably under the impression that, if you order and pay a deposit then cancel you have no right to any return of the deposit, which is correct in normal circumstances.
Put it down to experience and walk away, naming and shaming someone is ok with large companies but not for small companies who are probably struggling to earn a crust.
Etap

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Sue, following on from my earlier reply which you answered saying you cancelled and not postponed as I thought you had done, I really think that as you say you made a mistake in ordering in the first place, it maybe different now the rules on ordering goods with a deposit on the phone(or whatever) but I think that the dealer is probably under the impression that, if you order and pay a deposit then cancel you have no right to any return of the deposit, which is correct in normal circumstances.
Put it down to experience and walk away, naming and shaming someone is ok with large companies but not for small companies who are probably struggling to earn a crust.
Etap
yes, i probably will just have to put it down to experience, and as you say, naming and shaming ( although tempting when it happened)doesn't feel right.
FYI it does look like i have a right to cancel under distance selling regulations...some good links been given on this thread to that particular legislation

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Being a trades person and having been in business a fair while l have come across all types of customers and the old saying the customer is always right ain't true, we bend over backwards to keep our customers happy, as customer care is tops for us, we don't take deposits on small jobs, but do expect a interim payment on bigger jobs when material is delivered to site, if l had been the guy, Sue would have had her dosh back without question, £60 not worth any bad publicity and also she would have used him again l bet, not now, he could of earned a few bob from peeps on here or family and friends she knows, obviously the guy didn't look at the big picture we all live and learn, but sometimes the hard way.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Being a trades person and having been in business a fair while l have come across all types of customers and the old saying the customer is always right ain't true, we bend over backwards to keep our customers happy, as customer care is tops for us, we don't take deposits on small jobs, but do expect a interim payment on bigger jobs when material is delivered to site, if l had been the guy, Sue would have had her dosh back without question, £60 not worth any bad publicity and also she would have used him again l bet, not now, he could of earned a few bob from peeps on here or family and friends she knows, obviously the guy didn't look at the big picture we all live and learn, but sometimes the hard way.
i recognise its hard running a business(I've done it) and its not always easy putting the customer first, (but it is essential), but you make a really good point about good publicity and return business. This particular tradesman told me he was snowed under with work..so maybe he thinks he can do this and is not concerned about the consequences..

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
My views...

Pressuring customers into panic buying is LOW!

Paying a deposit without thinking about it and researching alternatives is ill advised but we all do it, especially when being pressured by someone who is LOW

That's what the various consumer protection laws are there for, to protect unwise people from being forced into making uninformed decisions because of LOW sales techniques.

Naming the LOW trader and rationally explaining the situation is not making them public enemy number one, rather informing fellow members to be wary when dealing with someone who has acted LOW

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
My views...

Pressuring customers into panic buying is LOW!

Paying a deposit without thinking about it and researching alternatives is ill advised but we all do it, especially when being pressured by someone who is LOW

That's what the various consumer protection laws are there for, to protect unwise people from being forced into making uninformed decisions because of LOW sales techniques.

Naming the LOW trader and rationally explaining the situation is not making them public enemy number one, rather informing fellow members to be wary when dealing with someone who has acted LOW
you know, thinking about it, i think if he had said, 'tell you what i will pencil you in and keep the date for a couple of days ( but if anyone else desperately needs it i will let you know) then think about it' - he knew from the questions i was asking that i am very new to this game - 'and if you want to confirm give me a call'. The pressure i felt was from him saying how busy he was and that slots were getting filled, and i did need it by a particular date...if that makes sense?.....i have done that in the business i ran , i would block out a date for a couple of days, pending confirmation, and invariably i would get call backs to confirm

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
you know, thinking about it, i think if he had said, 'tell you what i will pencil you in and keep the date for a couple of days ( but if anyone else desperately needs it i will let you know) then think about it' - he knew from the questions i was asking that i am very new to this game - 'and if you want to confirm give me a call'. The pressure i felt was from him saying how busy he was and that slots were getting filled, and i did need it by a particular date...if that makes sense?.....i have done that in the business i ran , i would block out a date for a couple of days, pending confirmation, and invariably i would get call backs to confirm

It makes complete sense. Any trader worth dealing with understands this and let's the customer have breathing space to make a decision. A really good trader would have offered to keep your slot for an hour or so. After all, if their phone is ringing so much that in an hour they would have the slot filled by someone else, who's doing the work?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Sue it ALL makes sense, but please try to put it behind you now... It's not worth the stress.

It was a little mistake, there will be more, it's not the end of the world... It seems bigger than it is because it's something new to you so it makes you feel a bit daft... I'm sure you'll have made bigger mistakes in the past but they didn't seem like it because you knew how to resolve them... We've been at this moho lark for just over a year now (still a beginner myself you see!) and make mistakes every time we do ANYthing. Not asking all the right questions before booking a site; not checking things fit before buying them; all of that, & plenty more.

Go back and read your original post. You were quite resigned to the situation, just admitting a bit of a mash-up & a mild complaint about customer service. Try to get back to that frame of mind.

You have a lovely new way of life waiting for you with your moho, and you live in a great part of the world - forget what might have been, start some planning and dreaming, and get out and enjoy your wonderful future!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
@Sue it ALL makes sense, but please try to put it behind you now... It's not worth the stress.

It was a little mistake, there will be more, it's not the end of the world... It seems bigger than it is because it's something new to you so it makes you feel a bit daft... I'm sure you'll have made bigger mistakes in the past but they didn't seem like it because you knew how to resolve them... We've been at this moho lark for just over a year now (still a beginner myself you see!) and make mistakes every time we do ANYthing. Not asking all the right questions before booking a site; not checking things fit before buying them; all of that, & plenty more.

Go back and read your original post. You were quite resigned to the situation, just admitting a bit of a mash-up & a mild complaint about customer service. Try to get back to that frame of mind.

You have a lovely new way of life waiting for you with your moho, and you live in a great part of the world - forget what might have been, start some planning and dreaming, and get out and enjoy your wonderful future!
Thats the best advice ever....heres to many happy hours motor homing, and to all the future mistakes i make :)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
will check this out, have contacted credit card company and will probably go to small claims court

Hi Sue, really sorry to read this thread and that you are on the receiving end of a bad deal, can I ask what the credit card company said?

I had course to go back to my credit card company over a payment made for a service I didn`t get and the resolved the situation there and then on the phone.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hi Sue, really sorry to read this thread and that you are on the receiving end of a bad deal, can I ask what the credit card company said?

I had course to go back to my credit card company over a payment made for a service I didn`t get and the resolved the situation there and then on the phone.
they said they will send a dispute resolution form

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Here in Spain, if you pay by credit card and decide to cancel something you've bought on line, you only need to email the company saying you are cancelling, then a quick phone call to your bank requesting they cancel the charge on the credit card.

It is done immediately and they sometimes ask you to pop in to the bank to sign a form "when convenient"!

Mind you, we do have direct contact with our banks - even have the Manager's mobile number - so no problem with call centres.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Mind you, we do have direct contact with our banks - even have the Manager's mobile number - so no problem with call centres.
Blimey! We don't even have managers any more! & out here in the sticks you're lucky if you even have a BANK!!! (we barter with turnips you know)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Are we having a lynching yet?
As most of you know, I love a laugh, (which is more times then not at my own expense), a wind up, and yes, a good old world hard bitten debate at times, but I really do have to say, that this is the very first time I have read of a *FUNSTER* asking a genuine question, (whilst being under some distress), and being answered with contempt and a sneering reply as I witnessed last night. I know that times have changed, and that civility is really now an attitude from past times, but I really do hope that this is not setting a precedent for the future. How would it really be if members, (especially female members), lost all confidence in asking a simple question, for fear of verbal retribution?
All credit to Sue, OK, she made her mistake, but hid nothing, defended the name of the tradesman concerned by not posting his details, and has valiantly struggled to explain that yes, in this case, she was an 'idiot', even naming the thread that way. I just hope that all is rightly resolved in her matter. :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
IMHO this is an unfair contract term. The business is only allowed to keep a deposit if the contract is cancelled where value to that amount has already been given. Given that cancellation was so quick and the trader has every chance to book more business on the future date then the small claims court will likely say that this is unfair. They will also look to see if he provides compensation to customers when he cancels out so that the treatment to either side is equal. At most a small admin fee might be awarded to the business but the rest should be refunded.

As to the small claims court, if you win you not only get your money awarded back to you by the court but also the court fees that you had to pay to bring the case. Winning in court never guarantees payment but as a trader it would be easy to get the small claims court bailiffs on his back!

Sue him!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back