DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If the order was placed by telephone (classed as distance selling) you have 7 days to cancel but the notice of cancellation must be made in writing or some other "durable form". If there was any face to face contact during the transaction then unfortunately you don't have this time.

Google "CAB Can I cancel it" for some background.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
how much money are we talking about, what about asking him if the deposit can be used against some other work that would be done in a fixed time period, maybe a hab check or service.

whilst I dont belive you should just accept being riped off, sometimes its just not worth the hasel of getting wound up, for me it would depend on the amount of money/divided by time effort and upset of getting it back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
If you made the order over the internet or on the telephone, it is covered by the distance selling regulations. Write to the chap giving him 7 days to return your deposit. If he fails to respond, talk to trading standards. If you are not confident with writing a formal letter, cab will assist you. Or, if you have legal cover on your house insurance, many companies have proforma letters available on line for just such an occasion.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Credit cards offer protection over a certain value - £100 I think. Debit cards offer no protection AT ALL. Distance selling regulations cover email, telephone or on-line transactions and give you 7 days (which may not be enough to protect this purchase)

If you paid via a credit card contact the issuing bank. Tell them the debit was not agreed. The merchant will receive a chargeback and have to justify why your card was charged. If there is nothing in writing to say you agreed to the debit you'll get your money back.

It's not really what these pieces of legislation and consumer protect were intended for but would the trader have given you money if he had to reschedule your installation to suit his work load? As a trader I think this is a little unfair but others will disagree.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
how much money are we talking about, what about asking him if the deposit can be used against some other work that would be done in a fixed time period, maybe a hab check or service.

whilst I dont belive you should just accept being riped off, sometimes its just not worth the hasel of getting wound up, for me it would depend on the amount of money/divided by time effort and upset of getting it back
£60

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
If you made the order over the internet or on the telephone, it is covered by the distance selling regulations. Write to the chap giving him 7 days to return your deposit. If he fails to respond, talk to trading standards. If you are not confident with writing a formal letter, cab will assist you. Or, if you have legal cover on your house insurance, many companies have proforma letters available on line for just such an occasion.
cancelled in 6 days by e mail

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
cancelled in 6 days by e mail

In which case; write to him confirming your e mail quoting the relevant dates, inform him that you are now formally requesting return of your deposit in accordance with the distance selling regulations, You should give him seven days from the date of your letter to provide a refund in full. Advise him that if you do not hear from him by the date requested, you will have no alternative but to take the necessary steps to secure your position without further recourse.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
In which case; write to him confirming your e mail quoting the relevant dates, inform him that you are now formally requesting return of your deposit in accordance with the distance selling regulations, You should give him seven days from the date of your letter to provide a refund in full. Advise him that if you do not hear from him by the date requested, you will have no alternative but to take the necessary steps to secure your position without further recourse.
thank you, will do that

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
On a different note....
this is a guy (see below) who gives EXCELLENT service....he puts the customer first ( unlike the other!)

good guy;
Tony ...Northern car audio . nice to acknowledge good service, i dont want to be complaining all the time, and Tony is good.

bad guy:
not named and shamed yet, i will write a formal letter to him and get back to you all.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
By all means ask for your money back in 7 days but under the distance selling regs he has 30 days. No harm in asking for something shorter though!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
sorry i don't understand. what do you mean he has 30 days? for what?
You have 7 days, starting the day after you placed the order, to ask for your money back and he has 30 days to return it. Have a read of the CAB document I linked to earlier.

Reactions: Sue

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I might be thick but, you ordered and paid a deposit for an alarm to be fitted and fixed a date for the fixing, then you cancelled the date wanting to change this date for another later on, the dealer said no either have it fixed the day you booked or loose your deposit, if this is the correct series of events then the dealer maybe pulling a fast one, if this is the case then I would certainly go to the Cit. Adv. and take whatever action they decide.
It takes some believing that a business would not alter the date as arranged and put themselves at risk of whatever the future brings for them.
Etap

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I might be thick but, you ordered and paid a deposit for an alarm to be fitted and fixed a date for the fixing, then you cancelled the date wanting to change this date for another later on, the dealer said no either have it fixed the day you booked or loose your deposit, if this is the correct series of events then the dealer maybe pulling a fast one, if this is the case then I would certainly go to the Cit. Adv. and take whatever action they decide.
It takes some believing that a business would not alter the date as arranged and put themselves at risk of whatever the future brings for them.
Etap
What happened was I fixed a date, but then cancelled the service giving a months notice that i no longer wanted to proceed. I cancelled within6 days of making the appointment for the service, so gave him lots of time to,rearrange the service, also he told me he was very busy which is why i had to pay the deposit - as he couldn't guarantee that any date would be available without booking as his diary was filling so fast. So by cancelling i have not cost him anything and , according to his own predictions he will have no problem filling the appointment slot.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
In that case sounds like you have grounds from what others have said. Call CAB or citizens direct first. Download the standard letter and send him that with your details. It has always got me the result I wanted... Yes every time....

Anyway he sounds like a complete arsehole, I would name and shame once I found out where I stand legally: (

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Anyway he sounds like a complete arsehole
Seems a bit strong... :eek:

Is it unreasonable for a busy local tradesman to ask for a deposit to discourage time wasters and then keep it when his time is wasted, by someone who thinks they have got a better deal elsewhere? And then to be dragged through the small claims court too? And all for £60? Especially when it could cost the OP £35 to get the £60 back

My gut feeling is that this may be legally correct, but is it morally?

Personally, if it was my change of mind causing the issue, then I'd suck it up and put the deposit loss down to experience, and make sure I was certain of what I wanted next time...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What I don't get is why you are getting radio fitted elsewhere when you could have saved your deposit that way....providing he is a reasonable bloke which looks pretty unlikely.

To those with a hard and fast attitude to this. the circumstances not common are they, the OP simply made a mistake, as did not realise that dealer was fitting for free. She has not found a cheaper deal elsewhere and renaged on a deal.

Anyway if canceled in under the week sounds like in the clear legally going by what others have said?

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The point surely is whether the OP went to the premises and did the deal face to face or not. Distance selling regs will only apply if there was no face to face contact with the company and the OP has not said how he did the deal, unless I missed the answer.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sounds like it to me... It's the "will fit" rather than "are fitting" that suggested the OP is taking up a better offer...

Perhaps the OP can clarify...

Hmm......In that case a completely different scenario! If this true just a time waster. :(

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I would question why some one needs a deposit. I fit more alarms on to motorhomes than anyone else in the Country and we don't ask for deposits.

I can Vouch for that. And I got a "free Overnight stay" (with electric!)

(is that OK? Eddie and when can I expect the cheque?):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Pete

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Sounds like it to me... It's the "will fit" rather than "are fitting" that suggested the OP is taking up a better offer...

Perhaps the OP can clarify...
not taking up a better offer, just being offered great service .

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Personally, if it was my change of mind causing the issue, then I'd suck it up and put the deposit loss down to experience, and make sure I was certain of what I wanted next time...
Bu**er the deposit, be it £6 0r £600, its the point that counts?? Who knows, if the guy walks this time, (and we don't yet know who he is), will it be another *FUNSTER* he jiffs next time?? Never forget, not every person is as sharp as a needle. Customers rely on the good offices and correct attitude of the businessman/woman. Buying an alarm isn't like going into a shop for a packet of Embassy, or whatever. It can be quite complicated, with add on's, type and make of alarm etc. I think that maybe Sue got a bit confused, and like all people in such a position, unwary. o_O

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hmm......In that case a completely different scenario! If this true just a time waster. :(
i am NOT a time waster. I was honest with the guy and let him know as soon as possible that the dealer would do it on the spot, which meant i wouldn't need to make a 50 mile journey. I have struggled to get to grips with all,the offers and alarms and unfortunately was panicked into,booking the appointment to have the alarm fitted cos the guy said he was getting booked up fast and i wanted it done as soon as i got the motorhome. I admit i made a mistake and didn't make enough enquiries, but I was not trying to 'do' the guy.
a couple of phone calls is hardly time wasting.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Bu**er the deposit, be it £6 0r £600, its the point that counts?? Who knows, if the guy walks this time, (and we don't yet know who he is), will it be another *FUNSTER* he jiffs next time?? Never forget, not every person is as sharp as a needle. Customers rely on the good offices and correct attitude of the businessman/woman. Buying an alarm isn't like going into a shop for a packet of Embassy, or whatever. It can be quite complicated, with add on's, type and make of alarm etc. I think that maybe Sue got a bit confused, and like all people in such a position, unwary. o_O
thank you....that is exactly how it was, and i appreciate your words. It is upsetting , and I do feel like a complete idiot for parting with my money so,easily and not really thinking it through

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back