Wandering in Germany (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I hope this blog will act as a memory for us, so I have added a map to show where we went.

Image 18-10-2023 at 20.10.jpeg

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
A month ago I posted a question about Germany and a few said they would find a travelogue useful so we thought we'd give it a go.

We have been motor homing for six years now, and are definitely still learning by our mistakes. Apart from the Covid years we try to get to Europe for a month in May/June and September. This year, our September trip to Europe has been rudely delayed and shortened by the Rugby World Cup, however I have returned in one piece from Wales' glorious defeat of Portugal and England's equally glorious sort of thrashing of Japan. We tend to only plan loosely and often end up doing something different, dictated by the weather. We tend to travel light on the food and wine front, so we can sample the local supermarkets and markets. This time we set off Saturday morning from Gloucestershire for Le Shuttle with the aim of getting to Gravelines before the supermarkets close. We haven't stayed there before but it seems a convenient stopover.

We don't normally bother with deflectors on the headlights because we don't drive in the dark, but as we are a bit later this year it may happen. What do others do? Our lights are quite small and round with no indication of where to place them so I expect I will wing it!

The plan, such as it is, will be to try to get to Trier in a day via Belgium and Luxembourg, then park up for a couple of days. But we may get bored of driving and stop somewhere, that's the beauty of motor homing. After, we hope to mosey up the Mosel, where the forecast currently looks good. If the weather stays reasonable we may head for Bavaria, perhaps a couple of towns on the Romantic Road and a castle or two. We only have 23 days but if the weather deteriorates the plan might change. We aren't particularly precious about where we stay, but I may have palpitations of the wallet at some of the non ACSI campsite prices. We like visiting interesting places, chilling out, cycling and drinking wine. We usually eat out every few days, but only if there is a decent restaurant available and we've heard dire warnings about German food.
Where do you start and finish on the moselle..I've looked at Google maps and it looks as though its in france as well as Germany..

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Where do you start and finish on the moselle..I've looked at Google maps and it looks as though its in france as well as Germany..
It is in France. We started in Trier and followed it to its confluence in Kobkenz, purely because we wanted to sample Germany. I expect it would be fun to do the French bit too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Whilst touring the Moselle we Went to Luxembourg on a Sunday & it was closed 🥴 Singularly unexciting & have no desire to return there 🙄
Luxembourg City is quite nice, we didn’t visit on a Sunday though :ROFLMAO: On this trip we travelled straight through because we wanted to get to Germany only stopping for fuel. Which is definitely worthwhile as it is a lot cheaper.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
It is in France. We started in Trier and followed it to its confluence in Kobkenz, purely because we wanted to sample Germany. I expect it would be fun to do the French bit too.
We did same then turned right down the Rhine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back