Wandering in Germany (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
A month ago I posted a question about Germany and a few said they would find a travelogue useful so we thought we'd give it a go.

We have been motor homing for six years now, and are definitely still learning by our mistakes. Apart from the Covid years we try to get to Europe for a month in May/June and September. This year, our September trip to Europe has been rudely delayed and shortened by the Rugby World Cup, however I have returned in one piece from Wales' glorious defeat of Portugal and England's equally glorious sort of thrashing of Japan. We tend to only plan loosely and often end up doing something different, dictated by the weather. We tend to travel light on the food and wine front, so we can sample the local supermarkets and markets. This time we set off Saturday morning from Gloucestershire for Le Shuttle with the aim of getting to Gravelines before the supermarkets close. We haven't stayed there before but it seems a convenient stopover.

We don't normally bother with deflectors on the headlights because we don't drive in the dark, but as we are a bit later this year it may happen. What do others do? Our lights are quite small and round with no indication of where to place them so I expect I will wing it!

The plan, such as it is, will be to try to get to Trier in a day via Belgium and Luxembourg, then park up for a couple of days. But we may get bored of driving and stop somewhere, that's the beauty of motor homing. After, we hope to mosey up the Mosel, where the forecast currently looks good. If the weather stays reasonable we may head for Bavaria, perhaps a couple of towns on the Romantic Road and a castle or two. We only have 23 days but if the weather deteriorates the plan might change. We aren't particularly precious about where we stay, but I may have palpitations of the wallet at some of the non ACSI campsite prices. We like visiting interesting places, chilling out, cycling and drinking wine. We usually eat out every few days, but only if there is a decent restaurant available and we've heard dire warnings about German food.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Why are you preparing to break the law for a few quid to buy beam benders? Are you totally confident that you are not going to have an accident and need to visit a hospital at night? Are you certain that there will be no reason for you to return home in an emergency? Do you support people from other countries breaking UK laws?

Gordon

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Why are you preparing to break the law for a few quid to buy beam benders? Are you totally confident that you are not going to have an accident and need to visit a hospital at night? Are you certain that there will be no reason for you to return home in an emergency? Do you support people from other countries breaking UK laws?

Gordon
Perhaps his vehicle doesn't require 'beam benders'.. ours doesn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No

Gordon

I did ask what others do. I will have beam deflectors with me and am fairly sure it is automatic. So if the need arises I can do it, but suggested I wouldn’t bother until then.

Yours seems an unnecessarily aggressive response so I am not going pursue this conversation any further.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp

Gordon
See fun, camaraderie, supporting, encouraging and helping are high on your agenda today, is it raining or something in Norfolk?

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We don't normally bother with deflectors on the headlights because we don't drive in the dark, but as we are a bit later this year it may happen. What do others do

Rewriting in a supporting and helpful manner: I always try to comply with the laws of the country in which I’m travelling. Several times I have had to drive unexpectedly in the dark, because something has gone wrong or because I’ve been held up in traffic. Once in Netherlands we had a phone call about a very difficult situation involving a close family member. After a long conversation we agreed that we didn’t need to return BUT we could have driven legally through the night if necessary. HTH.

Actually sitting outside my van in Teesside where the brilliant sun is making it difficult to see the screen on my phone 😉

Gordon

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Have a lovely trip. I'm not at all jealous :pinocchio:

We stayed at the Reisemobilpark Treviris (W3W:cross.decisive.staple) when we went to Trier last year, it is very handy for visiting the town, with the option to either walk, cycle or catch a bus into the town and it's next to the river, so some nice walks along the river too.

We visited the Rheinisches Landesmuseum whilst we there and had a very nice lunch in their café. Trier is a lovely place to look round. One thing to note though is that most things are shut in Trier on a Monday, so museums and attractions will not be open. We found this out the first time we visited a few years ago.

There is a nice place to stay once you get on to the Mosel, Reisemobilpark Minheim (W3W:furniture.diarists.slab), if you can get a pitch overlooking the river, even better. There is a nice cycle path along the river.

If you are into your wine then it is worth seeing if there are still wine festivals going on along the Mosel.

The Mosel is quite easy to wander along, with plenty of places to visit and stay.

Nedge68

Free Member
Feb 28, 2022
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Rewriting in a supporting and helpful manner: I always try to comply with the laws of the country in which I’m travelling. Several times I have had to drive unexpectedly in the dark, because something has gone wrong or because I’ve been held up in traffic. Once in Netherlands we had a phone call about a very difficult situation involving a close family member. After a long conversation we agreed that we didn’t need to return BUT we could have driven legally through the night if necessary. HTH.

Actually sitting outside my van in Teesside where the brilliant sun is making it difficult to see the screen on my phone 😉

Gordon
Teesside is an ace place - but then we live there. Where are you camping?

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Have a lovely trip. I'm not at all jealous :pinocchio:

We stayed at the Reisemobilpark Treviris (W3W:cross.decisive.staple) when we went to Trier last year, it is very handy for visiting the town, with the option to either walk, cycle or catch a bus into the town and it's next to the river, so some nice walks along the river too.

We visited the Rheinisches Landesmuseum whilst we there and had a very nice lunch in their café. Trier is a lovely place to look round. One thing to note though is that most things are shut in Trier on a Monday, so museums and attractions will not be open. We found this out the first time we visited a few years ago.

There is a nice place to stay once you get on to the Mosel, Reisemobilpark Minheim (W3W:furniture.diarists.slab), if you can get a pitch overlooking the river, even better. There is a nice cycle path along the river.

If you are into your wine then it is worth seeing if there are still wine festivals going on along the Mosel.

The Mosel is quite easy to wander along, with plenty of places to visit and stay.
Thanks. We thought we would aim fo Reisemobilpark Treviris, typically our first proper day there will be a Monday! I have made a note of the Minheim site too.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
A month ago I posted a question about Germany and a few said they would find a travelogue useful so we thought we'd give it a go.

We have been motor homing for six years now, and are definitely still learning by our mistakes. Apart from the Covid years we try to get to Europe for a month in May/June and September. This year, our September trip to Europe has been rudely delayed and shortened by the Rugby World Cup, however I have returned in one piece from Wales' glorious defeat of Portugal and England's equally glorious sort of thrashing of Japan. We tend to only plan loosely and often end up doing something different, dictated by the weather. We tend to travel light on the food and wine front, so we can sample the local supermarkets and markets. This time we set off Saturday morning from Gloucestershire for Le Shuttle with the aim of getting to Gravelines before the supermarkets close. We haven't stayed there before but it seems a convenient stopover.

We don't normally bother with deflectors on the headlights because we don't drive in the dark, but as we are a bit later this year it may happen. What do others do? Our lights are quite small and round with no indication of where to place them so I expect I will wing it!

The plan, such as it is, will be to try to get to Trier in a day via Belgium and Luxembourg, then park up for a couple of days. But we may get bored of driving and stop somewhere, that's the beauty of motor homing. After, we hope to mosey up the Mosel, where the forecast currently looks good. If the weather stays reasonable we may head for Bavaria, perhaps a couple of towns on the Romantic Road and a castle or two. We only have 23 days but if the weather deteriorates the plan might change. We aren't particularly precious about where we stay, but I may have palpitations of the wallet at some of the non ACSI campsite prices. We like visiting interesting places, chilling out, cycling and drinking wine. We usually eat out every few days, but only if there is a decent restaurant available and we've heard dire warnings about German food.
If your lights are like mine there are three screws at the back. You remove the top one, loosen the other two, rotate the light 90 degrees and refit the other screw.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Teesside is an ace place - but then we live there. Where are you camping?
Smith House Farm, Elton.
My family moved to Norton 48y ago and we lived in Yarm for a few years. Then we moved to Norfolk and stayed at Whitewater CAMC (£20?) for a few times. We discovered SHF (£6) and have come here ever since. (Now £15!)

This trip was for my brothers funeral on Tuesday. Dad died 3y ago and Mum 27y ago so I guess my visits will decrease in frequency ☹️

Gordon

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't plan to drive at night but turn on my headlights when it's raining so have the little sticky things on the lens. Different MH of course. :)

Enjoy Germany! They should be harvesting the grapes about now.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I don't plan to drive at night but turn on my headlights when it's raining so have the little sticky things on the lens. Different MH of course. :)

Enjoy Germany! They should be harvesting the grapes about now.
Yes I hope so, I think we will have missed a lot of the festivals, but there may still be one at Piesporter.

Nedge68

Free Member
Feb 28, 2022
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Smith House Farm, Elton.
My family moved to Norton 48y ago and we lived in Yarm for a few years. Then we moved to Norfolk and stayed at Whitewater CAMC (£20?) for a few times. We discovered SHF (£6) and have come here ever since. (Now £15!)

This trip was for my brothers funeral on Tuesday. Dad died 3y ago and Mum 27y ago so I guess my visits will decrease in frequency ☹️

Gordon
Sorry to hear that Gordon.my condolences. I was raised in Fairfield - live in Barnard Castle now. We do the journey in reverse my Mother in Law now lives in Norfolk - we tend to Motorhome on their drive!

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Sorry to hear that Gordon.my condolences. I was raised in Fairfield - live in Barnard Castle now. We do the journey in reverse my Mother in Law now lives in Norfolk - we tend to Motorhome on their drive!
That’s a long haul to do regularly.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The first house which we bought was off Surbiton Road. We now live just outside Dereham

Gordon

Oct 25, 2022
Derventio, in the Kingdom of Mercia
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SL
Exp
Since 2018
We have a cheat in that we brought a LHD (Ducati based) van with us when we came back over from Germany, so we still have the original headlamps! Simple job to swap them over.
We aren't particularly precious about where we stay, but I may have palpitations of the wallet at some of the non ACSI campsite prices. We like visiting interesting places, chilling out, cycling and drinking wine.
We tend to aim for Stellplatz, which most towns have, usually v cheap and with paid for water & dump (keep a stock of 1 & 2 Euro coins). Limited to 2 or 3 days stay max. Especially useful if you want to keep moving. Find them on the usual apps Search for sites, Camper contact, Park 4 night etc.

And as for your comment about German food o_O words fail! It's good stuff, restaurants are great value for money at all star levels (the Germans won't pay our restaurant prices). From Michelin starred to the mobile hot chicken and Bratty stalls in supermarket car parks. (Mayo or Ketchup?) But then I eat to live, not live to eat:LOL:.

Enjoy your trip, Germany is underrated.

Oct 25, 2022
Derventio, in the Kingdom of Mercia
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SL
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks Ava the Adria, I keep reading negative comments about the food so good to read your comments.
And do also try the Weißbier - its not all about the Pils
(and Flammkuchen, and Kaiserschmarrn (although a little more Austrian/Bavarian), and your daily afternoon Kaffee & Küchen; I could go on...)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like you have Hella projector headlamps. They are adjustable, the basic one referred to as Classic is adjustable to flat dipping the more upmarket version is adjustable to LHD (kick up to the right).
You either loosen 3 screws on the back and rotate about 30° or on later ones move a leaver.

We have just arrived in Germany.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Sounds like you have Hella projector headlamps. They are adjustable, the basic one referred to as Classic is adjustable to flat dipping the more upmarket version is adjustable to LHD (kick up to the right).
You either loosen 3 screws on the back and rotate about 30° or on later ones move a leaver.

We have just arrived in Germany.
Thanks, I am following your travels closely.

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Thanks Ava the Adria, I keep reading negative comments about the food so good to read your comments.
I’m definitely in the minority here it seems…. But I Love the food in southern Germany where my wife’s family comes from! If you can find the places where the local workers/ families go… really hearty stuff!😋

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back