VPN for someone who is clueless about them (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I also have Norton VPN but it is installed on our tablets and phones. I'm not sure if it's possible to install it on the motorhome wifi router, or our Firestick? Do you use the wifi from your phones for all your internet needs? Any advice would be welcome.

I have Nord VPN installed on all devices and also on the MoHo Teltonika router. When connecting through the Teltonika wi-fi 2G or 5G they are treated as a ‘Trusted Network’ and the VPN on the device does not activate.

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
I have Nord VPN installed on all devices and also on the MoHo Teltonika router. When connecting through the Teltonika wi-fi 2G or 5G they are treated as a ‘Trusted Network’ and the VPN on the device does not activate.
Was it difficult/complicated installing it on your moho wifi?

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Was it difficult/complicated installing it on your moho wifi?

Not after I located the correct procedure on the Teltonika wiki. Nord is not quite as simple as some other VPNs for some reason, but once I’d located the instructions it works 100% - I’m no techie but IIRC it involved adding two custom DNS servers. If you want I’ll look up the link later today and post it up?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
hi Dave. I wish I could say the same about Tiekom, i’ve been trying now for 3 days to get mine to work 😢
I’ve dumped Tiekom as of the start of the month as they have now introduced a 25gb limit when in the UK. I had more problems with it trying to connect it wasn’t worth the hassle anymore. Last year it was faultless but vodaphone have screwed it right up.

Dec 2, 2020
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Talisman
Exp
Camper vans for 20 years until 2020 when we bought our first motorhome
Not all VPNs are created equal. I have tried several and the best IMO is Nord. Cheaper and especially free ones often do not have the server speed to stream movies or live TV reliably.

Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
So we set off saturday for 90 days in Spain, using a firestick for IPxV, so do I need a VPN and which one, firestick has Surf Shark and Nord but never used one before, is their a monthly one or would you recommend a 1 or 2 year plan. Do i only need a VPN for catchup?

Thanks for any help offered. Al (y)
For me ...how do you get by the fair usage policy when streaming abroad 12GB from Smarty doesnt last loner than 1 day on a 2month trip?

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
For me ...how do you get by the fair usage policy when streaming abroad 12GB from Smarty doesnt last loner than 1 day on a 2month trip?

A VPN won’t help with that. You’ll need a SIM with a decent amount of useable capacity. The RWG 200gb Global SIM @£28 pm is working well for us though France, Italy & Greece.

Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
you don't use a Smarty card

Simples ;)
Unlimited Uk Smarty (£20 per month)works fine on Motorhome WiFi 5g set up with firestick. What would you suggest Al n Val?

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Not after I located the correct procedure on the Teltonika wiki. Nord is not quite as simple as some other VPNs for some reason, but once I’d located the instructions it works 100% - I’m no techie but IIRC it involved adding two custom DNS servers. If you want I’ll look up the link later today and post it up?
That would be great thank you 👍

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Does anyone have any proof that these VPN's actually do what they say on the tin? If you're paying good money for it, I would need evidence of the benefit.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I made 10Gb last 2 weeks in France & Spain.
Avoid playing videos/TV, because those gobble up gb's very quickly.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
So we set off saturday for 90 days in Spain, using a firestick for IPxV, so do I need a VPN and which one, firestick has Surf Shark and Nord but never used one before, is their a monthly one or would you recommend a 1 or 2 year plan. Do i only need a VPN for catchup?

We did four weeks in Spain and France and never even switched on the TV, and we have Sat Tv on the MoHo. Which I hasten to add was on there when we bought the MoHo.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We did four weeks in Spain and France and never even switched on the TV, and we have Sat Tv on the MoHo. Which I hasten to add was on there when we bought the MoHo.
is it on the roof and that’s why you didn’t turn it on as you couldn’t see it from inside?, interesting as that might be you’ve helped the OP zero % 🤔

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
is it on the roof and that’s why you didn’t turn it on as you couldn’t see it from inside?, interesting as that might be you’ve helped the OP zero % 🤔
The TV,s are in the van, not on the roof, but yes the sat kit is on the roof, which is switched on from inside the van, we just did not use it, the only reason I have left it on the van is that who ever buys the van may want it.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Not quite sure how you're helping the OP here, other than "we have a more interesting life than yours"?
Hi, I do not know if my life is more interesting or not, I just do not bother with TV when away.
As long as we can get the occasional WiFi contact on site for any calls we are OK.

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740

Never use them, they are only good for pretending your based in another country, so you can receive their channels or pass another counties censorship rules.
If you know how to use Windows effectively, it will do all that for you at no cost, just remember, VPN does not protect your computer, it just fools other counties networks so you can watch or download materials that maybe banned or not licensed in that country.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Never use them, they are only good for pretending your based in another country, so you can receive their channels or pass another counties censorship rules.
If you know how to use Windows effectively, it will do all that for you at no cost, just remember, VPN does not protect your computer, it just fools other counties networks so you can watch or download materials that maybe banned or not licensed in that country.
I have to agree, we watched what we wanted when we wanted and never needed a VPN (y)

Feb 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Winnebago

I have UK sim and can watch iPlayer, ITVX & All4 abroad without using a VPN. However for Sky Go, I have needed a VPN. Used Nord for the last year but disappointed with slow speed frequently causing buffering issues. Just changed to Surf Shark and so far so good although setup was fiddly. Hope this helps.

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
I have UK sim and can watch iPlayer, ITVX & All4 abroad without using a VPN. However for Sky Go, I have needed a VPN. Used Nord for the last year but disappointed with slow speed frequently causing buffering issues. Just changed to Surf Shark and so far so good although setup was fiddly. Hope this helps.
Hi, rvnib Do you mean that you can watch BBC iPlayer, ITVX and All4 abroad without VPN, using a Firestick or Satellite, please?

Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
I have never been able to get Sky on my tv whilst abroad despite a firestick, however no VPN.

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740

Surf Shark is a VPN, so you already have one, you only need it if you want to watch certain TV channels from a diffirent country witch don't have a license for that program, don't need VPN if you use the internet to watch these programs, but you would need it if you not sure on how to get around on the Net, because there are sites you can watch these from or just download them.

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
I’m currently in France and I’m using a UK sim to access Virgin TV GO on my IPad. No problem with all channels other than I can’t access the SKY Sport channels which are part of my UK Virgin package. They are being geographically restricted as an “unsupported location”. I thought the U.K. sim would avoid this issue? Do I need to get a VPN and would it solve this problem?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I seem to get a VPN included with my Norton360 account. BUT I've not used a Tiecom sim.
{Norton also does the protection and password locker bit for up to 10 devices. If you remember to cancel auto payments, you should be sent a good offer before the next subs is due, otherwise just buy a new code from Amazon etc)
That’s what I do, the important bit is to remember to stop the auto renew. I only pay about £15 - £17 a year for Norton 360 which covers 5 devices including my ipad and gives me a VPN

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Just to clarify and as others have said, if you are using a UK sim from any of the UK providers you do not need a VPN to watch any UK content whilst travelling abroad in either Spain/France/Portugal etc etc. The only time you need a VPN is when using a foreign sim be it Spain/France/Portugal etc etc to then watch UK content. There are many VPN providers but the main ones seem to be NordVPN/Surfshark, i personally use Surfshark as it allows unlimited devices to connect so i can use it on Phone/Tablet/Firestick/ShieldProTV etc etc and also my daughers uses it for IPTV. Choose a VPN that works for you as most just do the same thing so usually it will just come down to cost. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back