VPN for someone who is clueless about them (1 Viewer)

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
So we set off saturday for 90 days in Spain, using a firestick for IPxV, so do I need a VPN and which one, firestick has Surf Shark and Nord but never used one before, is their a monthly one or would you recommend a 1 or 2 year plan. Do i only need a VPN for catchup?

Thanks for any help offered. Al (y)

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
If you are using a UK sim you won't need a VPN but if using a local sim you will need a VPN for UK Catchup channels but not for Netflix or Prime.
I’m trying to use a Tiekom sim Lenny but failing to get them to work, it’s really p!ssing me off tbh 😡

I will have to use a local sim though as my UK ones only give me 25gb

Do you use a VPN and if so which one

Al

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’m trying to use a Tiekom sim Lenny but failing to get them to work, it’s really p!ssing me off tbh 😡

I will have to use a local sim though as my UK ones only give me 25gb

Do you use a VPN and if so which one

Al
I have only ever used the free VPN's for occasional use as we are happy watching Netflix or Prime if on a local sim.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Hi Al,

we use Nord VPN and a Tiekom sim in our Huawei MiFi. I would recommend both.

The only issue I have ever had with the Tiekom sim is when crossing some borders. What I have had to do is take it out of the MiFi, put it in our mobile phone and switch the roaming off and on again. This seems to do the trick.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Free vpns are not really the best for wanting to watch wiithout interruptions and most give just short spells.

Get into surfshark and it will fire up when you log in the first time and will ask what region. choose UK as your region ifnthstd what you want and the next times you open you browser it will fire UK up automatically...it's about 35 for the year or you can even buy just one month.
You can tell if it's working as when you log into fun your flag will be union jack ;)

It's easy to set up once you log in

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Hi Al,

we use Nord VPN and a Tiekom sim in our Huawei MiFi. I would recommend both.

The only issue I have ever had with the Tiekom sim is when crossing some borders. What I have had to do is take it out of the MiFi, put it in our mobile phone and switch the roaming off and on again. This seems to do the trick.
hi Dave. I wish I could say the same about Tiekom, i’ve been trying now for 3 days to get mine to work 😢

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Free vpns are not really the best for wanting to watch wiithout interruptions and most give just short spells.

Get into surfshark and it will fire up when you log in the first time and will ask what region. choose UK as your region ifnthstd what you want and the next times you open you browser it will fire UK up automatically...it's about 35 for the year or you can even buy just one month.
You can tell if it's working as when you log into fun your flag will be union jack ;)

It's easy to set up once you log in
It’s Surfshark that i’m looking at now, can I register on my IMac then use it on my firestick, i’m asking this as its £2.40 a mth 2 year contract and a £ more a month on the firestick 🤔

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I haven't put it on my firestick just use it direct on my laptop then cast what I want to TV.
I'd imagine it's just the same on firestick just login and enter you your details that you registered one your Mac and surfshark will takeover.

Edit yes I just checked..register your user and pay then just log in those details on your firestick..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
We use Express VPN on our tablets, phones and laptop. Not free but you get what you pay for. Never had a problem aboard last year. Changed from Bit defender which struggled with iPlayer and others. Leaving Sunday via tunnel for Spain and will use Lebara and Tesco Sims until they run out. Then Spanish SIM for WiFi router with firestick.

On a heavy use month we go through 120+ GB, but that's with streaming music through Spotify and downloading READLY mags to the tablets.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We use Express VPN on our tablets, phones and laptop. Not free but you get what you pay for. Never had a problem aboard last year. Changed from Bit defender which struggled with iPlayer and others. Leaving Sunday via tunnel for Spain and will use Lebara and Tesco Sims until they run out. Then Spanish SIM for WiFi router with firestick.

On a heavy use month we go through 120+ GB, but that's with streaming music through Spotify and downloading READLY mags to the tablets.
Hi Dave

what time tunnel are you on, ours is 8.20am

What route are you taking btw, do you want company lol

Good info regarding the sims btw 👍

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
I seem to get a VPN included with my Norton360 account. BUT I've not used a Tiecom sim.
{Norton also does the protection and password locker bit for up to 10 devices. If you remember to cancel auto payments, you should be sent a good offer before the next subs is due, otherwise just buy a new code from Amazon etc)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our firestick has a free one called Halo on it and works fine for us.

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Hi Dave

what time tunnel are you on, ours is 8.20am

What route are you taking btw, do you want company lol

Good info regarding the sims btw 👍
Getting the 7.20 stopping at Canterbury the night before. Possibly see you there🙂

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
I seem to get a VPN included with my Norton360 account. BUT I've not used a Tiecom sim
I also use the VPN included with the Norton 360 subscription. Have used it successfully all over Europe and further aafield with no problems.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Al n Val

I use Mullvad VPN. It is 5 euro a month. You just pay for the months you need - start and stop as you want.
No contract.
No email address no phone number, no personal information whatsoever.

Will be using it with our Tiekom sim when we arrive in Europe next Tuesday.

Have not tried it with a Firestick.
You can use it on five devices.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Another vote for Express VPN with Firestick but also use it with all my devices, unlimited devices with your subscription. Not the cheapest but reliable and simple and the Firestick can auto start it (which I’m sure other apps can as well). Before Express VPN, I used Cyberghost, not as reliable with Firestick, not as cheap and not supporting all my other devices.

Think they’ve got 3 months free in their deal package right now at £5.69 per month for 12 months but you get 15 months.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I’ve been using Windscribe on my firestick, £33 for a year, I used it in Spain with the tiekom sim and now using in Thailand, if you don’t want a year you can get it monthly at £7.

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
I subscribe to NordVPN, about £60 or £70 for two years.
Not only can I be anywhere I want to be, but also keeps my activities under the radar, should I want privacy.
Do you have the VPN installed on the Firestick or on your motorhome wifi system. I'm wondering if I install a VPN on our Avtex motorhome wifi router I won't need to install it on the firestick as well ?? Is that right? Thanks

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
I also use the VPN included with the Norton 360 subscription. Have used it successfully all over Europe and further aafield with no problems.
I also have Norton VPN but it is installed on our tablets and phones. I'm not sure if it's possible to install it on the motorhome wifi router, or our Firestick? Do you use the wifi from your phones for all your internet needs? Any advice would be welcome.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Do you have the VPN installed on the Firestick or on your motorhome wifi system. I'm wondering if I install a VPN on our Avtex motorhome wifi router I won't need to install it on the firestick as well ?? Is that right? Thanks
We installed the VPN on the Firestick as it was not possible to do so on the router. This gave us 5 devices cover adequate for tablets and phones. Ditched all that now and will be using 100Gb per month Popit SIM in the router which is unrestricted in the EU but must first be used in the UK.

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have my VPN installed on my devices... PC/Chromebook & Phone.
It gives me independent control when to use and with what Apps/Programmes.
I believe it can be installed on my Asus router so that all use is protected. But I haven't done that.

As I understand it, VPN's can be installed on a Firestick, seems to be plenty of tutorials on Google.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
I also have Norton VPN but it is installed on our tablets and phones. I'm not sure if it's possible to install it on the motorhome wifi router, or our Firestick? Do you use the wifi from your phones for all your internet needs? Any advice would be welcome.
I've Norton, including the VPN, installed on all my devices as I've a 20 device subscription. I use a Teltonica router in the motorhome with various SIM's depending on where I'm travelling and don't have a Firestick so sorry, wouldn't know if you can use Norton with it.

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
We installed the VPN on the Firestick as it was not possible to do so on the router. This gave us 5 devices cover adequate for tablets and phones. Ditched all that now and will be using 100Gb per month Popit SIM in the router which is unrestricted in the EU but must first be used in the UK.
Thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back