Two more overnighting facilities withdrawn.

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Brisey, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

I have read here http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers-news.shtml that the overnighting facilities at Swanage & Upton on Severn have been withdrawn.

Swanage bans overnight stays
    The inconsiderate action of a few motorhome users has resulted in Swanage Council banning all motorhomes from staying overnight. The following email from the council explains:
    We did allow campervans in Main Beach car park for an overnight stay. This allowed people the option of staying an extra night, for example, on a Saturday night if they had to vacate the campsite on Saturday morning etc. Unfortunately as very often happens, a minority of people were abusing this facility and using the car park as a campsite. We received complaints that people were using the public conveniences to empty their chemical toilets. The toilets (which very often, had just been cleaned) had to be redone due to spillages. Complaints were also made that the stream had been used for the same purpose and very often trees etc were used to hang washing on! At the Transport Committee Meeting held on 30th November 2010 the following recommendation was taken: It was RECOMMENDED TO: Withdraw the opportunity for overnight parking of campervans in Main Beach and North Beach car parks as a result of mis-use of the Council's facilities. Therefore, there are no car parks available for this purpose. There are a couple of lay-by's in Swanage that motorhomes do use, very often for a night before they can get into a campsite. These are found at the north end of Swanage in the vicinity of Ulwell Cottage Caravan Park and Northbrook Road.

Motorhomes banned from overnight stays at Upton on Severn
    Malvern Hills District Council have informed us that, due to 'exessive use' of the Hanley Road car park by motorhomes, overnight stays will no longer be 'tolerated' there. To qoute their spokesman:
    "Last summer for several days before the Western Motorhome show opened at the 3 Counties Showground we had 23 Motorhomes taking up nearly all of the rear end of the car park. Of the 23 vehicles, 19 were displaying Blue badges and did not buying a parking ticket.
    This was not an isolated incident, when Upton hold their music festivals we have had Motorhomes parked up for a week displaying their Blue Badge, therefore we shall now be enforcing the Parking Orders."

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Can't say I blame them... the Freeloaders spoil it for all .. :Angry:

Is it any wonder councils are reluctant to provide overnight motorhome parking ?

• Like Like x 7
  3. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Having never use a French Aires is there a similar problem over there if so how do they sort it out or are they so out of the way that people really just use it for a nights sleep ??? Are the policed regularly is there a limit to the number of hours /days allowed in one aires, are there better facilities provided on French Aires OR is it that some UK motorhomers just could not care less when they are on home turf but take more care when abroad - it does annoy me when the few spoil something for the majority

• Like Like x 1
  4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Can't say I am surprised as always the few kill it for the rest, give them a place to overnight and it gets turned into a camp site, for weeks on end.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

in France there are so many aires that people rarely stay more than one day, mostly they move on to the next one. As to parking with a blue badge, off street parking is not exempt charges so don't see the idea of putting it in the window. Whilst I can see the problem surely the real answer is for UK councils to provide proper dump facilities rather than turn trade away. mind you I have always said that where vans congregate the parking facility will be lost. I prefer to park alone and outside of built up areas.

• Like Like x 3
  6. SpongeBobsDad

SpongeBobsDad Read Only Funster

The councils have every right to put rules enforcing there rules on parking. what i dont understand is why dont they put a nominal charge for motorhomes etc overnighting ALL TO PAY / BLUE BADGES NOT EXEMPT from the overnight charge.may i point out to all blue badge holders that i have a blue badge myself , the majority of car parks are all but deserted overnight , some allow overnight parking but ban sleeping in vehicles whats the difference in parking your vehicle and sleeping in it, your not taking up more space by staying in your van As to morhomes abusing the facilities, leaving litter emptying toilets etc. I realise that its in the minority but we all have to do our bit, if you see this sort of thing happening point it out to the perpatrater and say that their actions are affecting all motorhome users.

• Like Like x 4
  7. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

pixxes me off. We have used Upton on Severn a few times when going down the South West.

controversial here but,, why is that Blue badge holders think they can take the Michael in this way? to me, if the council report is correct, they are responsible for the withdrawal of this facility along with the others that think its a week long camps site and not an overnight stop over. They are abusing the use of a blue badge, when was a blue badge given to get free parking in this way? My understanding is that hte badges were given for those that need to get parked closer to facilities...:Angry:

I hope some one writes and asks the council to re-consider along with some perhaps more strict rules enforced to prevent the abuse.

• Like Like x 6
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Aires in France

The generally accepted rule is 48 hrs but it's not enforced and many ignore it, no one seems to bother, including the Police.
    Many stay for a week, month or longer .. I know this because I have also used aires for longer than 48hrs.. although I hasten to add, this was during the low season when many are all but deserted.. so staying longer was not an issue. I have even met people who spend the whole winter on one aire .. and paid by the week to the local police !

French motorhomers are far less concerned and take less notice of rules than the Brits .. as Roger says, there are thousands of aires to chose from so staying longer than 48hrs is seldom an issue.

I was told by a Frenchman that the 48 hr rule was only in place to give the police the power to move the 'undesirable ' on .. Fact or not, it does seem to be the way they operate as I have seen 'less than desirables' moved on.. and they don't mess about with court orders.. or worry about 'human rights' .. who would argue with a 9mm .. That's the French way !

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jaygee32

Jaygee32 Read Only Funster

couldn't there be a way of purchasing from a local shop or supermarket a parking card for a couple of pounds (dated) that could be used on any local car park say from 9pm until 9am?

10. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Those Funsters....you can't take them anywhere...

• Like Like x 1
  11. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

l have a blue badge, and l would not dream of misusing it. Non of my family would ever use
    it for themselves. l struggled for over four years on crutches and appreciate how valuable diasabled parking is. l would rather leave them for genuine users, even now, as l am more mobile than a lot of others.
    l know that Range Rovers automatically have the blue badges, so they don't count.
    But, 19 out of 23 MHs! That is pathetic!
    lt doesn't surprise me that these stopovers have been ended. Some people have the "l don't care" attitude, and will never change. They behave like animals.

Craig

• Like Like x 2
  12. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

The only Blue Bagde holders who may be exempt from parking charges are those who's vehicle is exempt from road tax

Incidentally I don't know what the overnight parking facilities are in & around Manchester but I do know that parking in any bay with a blue badge showing is unrestricted & not just for 3 hours as in many other towns

AS we plan to visit Manchester for 48 hours in our RV does anyone know of any overnight CP's we could use

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

Have to agree. Its almost a contradiction in terms. Parking way off anywhere - for free, courtesy of a Blue Badge - which is usually for the use of folk who cant walk very far for whatever reason.
    Ill just get my tin hat on, and suggest blue Badges should be for smaller vehicles only ie CARS.

14. joncris

Why? Does the fact its a MH/RV & not a car mean the disabled person can suddenly walk

15. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

That is an unfair comment.
    l have a 32 ft RV, and l have a Smart car, l also have one leg. Do l suddenly become mobile when l am in the RV?

Craig

• Like Like x 2
  16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The reasons why overnighting facilities are sparse, and the reasons why there are no simple ways of making them available, are both legal and historical. All have been explored in previous threads so a search should find the information for anyone interested.

17. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Hang on a minute. So if 19 vans were dispalying Blue badges and not paying whos fault is that? Presumably the councils. If they have a sign up saying free for blue badge holders then they only have themselves to blame. The blue badge holders are not doing anything wrong unless the council put up a sign saying badge holders are not exempt.

It sounds to me like they just wanted an excuse to close it. They could have easily changed the rules so that max stay was 48 hours and blue badges had to pay.

Im sick if people making blue badge holders out to be criminals and parking charge dodgers and the suggestion that they should only be for cars beggers belief. A blond moment perhaps?

18. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

Maybe the badge should be for the car only? I mean, how near can you get the RV to where you want to be? Im guessing you use the Smart for getting about, which is fair enough. But to want to use the badge for a whacking great 'removal wagon' of a vehicle is somewhat taking the pi$$ in my humble view.

Ill just throw in that im well up to speed with the abilities of folk with one leg. My uncle has just died, having had of one his missing for 64 years!

19. joncris

Yes You own an RV you grow another leg, recover from cancer & heart problems of all kinds....... apparently:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  20. joncris

Quite:thumb:

Tell you what I'll exchange my Blue Badge for anyones able pain free body:thumb: