Two more overnighting facilities withdrawn. (1 Viewer)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
same question I asked buttons.. (see post) no one has given an opinion yet

Unlike you they have no choice but to use their vehicles which is why they get concessions but only if they are severley disabled. Please note a blue badge does NOT mean free parking

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
nope its not always free, in some carparks you do have to pay and display even with a blue badge, the badge apparently giving you the right to park in the slightly larger disabled places. It does give you the right to park on double yellows etc as long as not in bus stops/ areas for loading and unloading
A lot of privately owned car parks have their own take on the blue badge and its entitlements, if you take the time to read their charges and rules.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Because it costs us a great deal for the pleasure of being disabled & THAT fact is recognised by most agencies
For many disabled cheap public transport is not a choice they can make, they HAVE to have personal transport just to get out
The costs of having a disability are huge much more than th able bodied realize otherwise they wouldn't come up with such comments

Sorry still don’t get it, if you can afford to run a motorhome then disabled or not you can afford to pay for a car parking. Larger bays closer to the gate yes but free. Still not convinced.:Eeek:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Sorry still don’t get it, if you can afford to run a motorhome then disabled or not you can afford to pay for a car parking. Larger bays closer to the gate yes but free. Still not convinced.:Eeek:

Yeah ALL RV owners are well off Now where have I heard that before

Clearly you have no idea of the cost of being disabled. I use an RV because it allows me to visit places I wouldn't otherwise see as I cant rely on hotels having the disabled faculities they often claim they have so oerating an RV is mostly cheaper than the alternative. SO your idea that RV owners can afford parking fees which apart from vehicle tax is the only concession we do get unless of course you think we should pay the same as the able bodied for our very few pleasures

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Ive not had my blue badge long but in the past few months I have started to get an idea what it must be like to be coloured or gay and suffer discrimination by others. There have been several posts on here and on the other channel which also featured Blue Badge holder bashing. You just cant stand to see someone get something for nothing can you?

It really is sad to think that when I park my car in a disabled bay and walk to the shop there are many sets of eyes peering at me and assessing if I'm a proper disabled person or one of the thousands who appear to be blue badge scammers (I suspect there are less of these than you imagine).

Not only is it sad but its not very nice to think people are judging you accusingly.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yeah ALL RV owners are well off Now where have I heard that before

Clearly you have no idea of the cost of being disabled. I use an RV because it allows me to visit places I wouldn't otherwise see as I cant rely on hotels having the disabled faculities they often claim they have so oerating an RV is mostly cheaper than the alternative. SO your idea that RV owners can afford parking fees which apart from vehicle tax is the only concession we do get unless of course you think we should pay the same as the able bodied for our very few pleasures
I’m sure there are many disabled who could never afford a vehicle of any kind let alone an RV. So owning one makes you slightly better off than some disabled. Not a logical argument I know but I’m still not convinced about the free disabled parking.:Eeek:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
What don't you get Buttons YOU can walk where ever you want to go or hop on a bus or a train YOU don't have to use your car. The disabled can't we HAVE to use a vehicle with all its attending costs & thats why we get relief AND as I keep pointing out & you ignore not ALL blue badge parking is free

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Also you comment about being better off than other disabled is like saying how long is a piece of string Doh!

I bet there are some able bodied out there who have less than me EXCEPT they have an able body:Doh: I know which I would prefer

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Also you comment about being better off than other disabled is like saying how long is a piece of string Doh!
I bet there are some able bodied out there who have less than me EXCEPT they have an able body:Doh: I know which I would prefer
Yep! but what does all this have to do with not paying for disabled bays. Disabled bays larger and closer to the gate great, but not convinced about the free part. Sorry!:Nowink:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Then let me spell it out to you Buttons.

Not all disabled parking is free.

l do not get free road tax, l just get a blue disabled badge. That entitles me to parking concessions. Again not all of it is free.

Now, l am medically retired, so, no employment= no pay. l do not get disability living allowance either.

l will swap my body and income for yours anytime, and then see if you think that it's a pleasure getting a bit of free parking now and then.

Craig

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Something to do with it being 32 foot long, maybe?

I cant comment on how often you wash your van, and care even less.

Ill apologise over the other 'assumption'. like i say, i dont mind being 'humble' sometimes.

Do l detect a little bit of jealousy?

Craig

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
There are some who are determined not even to try to understand that its not a lifestyle choice to be disabled & are envious of any so called benefits we might get AND neither you nor I will change their closed minds:RollEyes:. So let them think we benefit unjustly & pay no heed cos fortunatley they are in the minority thank god:Doh:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok, I asked the Blue badge question and thanks for the answers from both voices.

Just wan't to say firstly to Barryd. No one, not one post, can I see knocking blue badge holders. All I can see is questions about the validity of said badges.

Now just a quick story, On Friday I was in Chester waiting to be picked up by Nikki. A Scottish guy came to me and asked if I was the attendant for the car park :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: as he had a blue badge but no clock with it. He had already been given a ticket in Worcester a day earlier due to not having this clock (I know nothing about the clock system sorry). Any how he was asking if I thought it would be OK parking there as he was disabled. I said Im sure he would be but dont take my word for it. He did, he then with his 3 undisabled friends proceeded to walk in to Chester (quite a walk I might add). Now I thoroughly believe in the Blue Badge system, If you have ever taken some one with mobility problems or breathing problems out then you know what a god send it is.
BUT--
this gentleman was driving a 70k Merc nearly new. Yet he would of rather taken the risk than put £1-20 (which I offered him change for) in a car parking machine whilst touring Chester on a holiday.

I'm sorry Guys, but this is abuse of the system at its worst. :Angry: I have no idea what his illness is and it would be unfair to make a judgement on that. But, is that really what a Blue badge is used for?

In the same sense, is a blue badge to be used to gain FREE parking for holidaying? surely in the same way as all of us, have to, we could budget parking in to our costs of a holiday?

I am as poor as the next man, I would never be critical of those getting a blue badge, but in the same way I am being told I aint getting child bennefit but my neighbour is, Is there not a fairer way of giving out blue badges so that those that are poor get them and others make a contribution? but at the same time keeping parking spaces close to amenities and facilities to help those less able?

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am as poor as the next man, I would never be critical of those getting a blue badge, but in the same way I am being told I aint getting child bennefit but my neighbour is

The chancellor’s decision to axe from 2013 child benefits for households containing a 40 per cent higher rate taxpayer – anyone earning more than £44,000..

Poor?

:ROFLMAO:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Some thoughts.
The facilities were pulled because of misuse:

"a minority of people were abusing this facility and using the car park as a campsite. We received complaints that people were using the public conveniences to empty their chemical toilets. The toilets (which very often, had just been cleaned) had to be[HI] redone due to spillages[/HI]. Complaints were also made that[HI] the stream had been used for the same purpose [/HI]and very often trees etc were used to hang washing on!"

This has nothing to do with disability, just bad motorhome owners who spoilt it for the rest of us.

"Last summer for [HI]several days before[/HI] the Western Motorhome show opened at the 3 Counties Showground we had 23 Motorhomes taking up nearly all of the rear end of the car park. Of the 23 vehicles, 19 were displaying Blue badges and did not buying a parking ticket. "
This was not an isolated incident, when Upton hold their music festivals we have had Motorhomes parked up for [HI]a week [/HI]displaying their Blue Badge."

Note, several days, not just overnight, is that not an abuse of the facility?
Of those Motorhomers there 82 % were disabled, that to me sounds like it was pre-arranged.
I am not going to get into the ‘disabled’ argument, but the bottom line is that this facility is no longer available for the rest of us, and that included disabled.
The message from the original posting appeared to imply, that the reason for the restrictions was a financial one, that the facility was being abused. I suppose the council could have taken a different action and introduced a charge. I wonder if that would have reduced the numbers/abuse?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
It is a shame, but l cannot blame the council for stopping these facilities. Some people will abuse the system no matter what.
It has spoiled it for the decent MH owners, who enjoy what they have, and what the country has to offer, and would rather clean up than make a mess.

Shame on all that have abused these facilities!

Blue badge. My final say.

l only ever use mine in the car, and that is not often. l do not mind paying for a parking space, and l would rather leave a disabled bay for the more needy than me. But, it infuriates me when l leave these bays empty, only for fit and healthy people to abuse them.
l have had some awful rows with people who abuse these spaces, one in particular was at the local Tesco store. l parked away from the disabled bays, and walking past them, a young chap stopped in one of the bays and got out. l asked if he knew it was disabled parking only, and l was subjected to, "l am disabled, l am f***ing blind"! and walked off to the store.

Any system is open to abuse, and it is the inconsiderate and greedy people of this world that ruin it for everyone else.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
The chancellor’s decision to axe from 2013 child benefits for households containing a 40 per cent higher rate taxpayer – anyone earning more than £44,000..

Poor?

:ROFLMAO:

Actually, RUBBISH...

more lies peddled by Government,,,,,, check out that the higher rate tax payer is not going to be earning 44k, BUT 37k by the time it comes around in 2013.

as I said, poor as the next man, not rich, not destitute, but raising a family,, meaning living in the lifestyle I am able too..... and hence counting every penny like most in my position.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I did the same. I was in the council car park and I saw a woman turn up, she parked in a disabled slot and parked up.
I pointed out that she did not have a blue badge and she was not disabled. She replied that she would not be there for long and she was working for the BBC. I said fine, I will make a note of your number oand report you, she gave me some verbal and said that I was being mean!.
She thought better of it, when I took out a notepad and made a note of her number, she moved and and swore,,:ROFLMAO:

As always

ShiftZZ

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Actually, RUBBISH...

more lies peddled by Government,,,,,, check out that the higher rate tax payer is not going to be earning 44k, BUT 37k by the time it comes around in 2013.

as I said, poor as the next man, not rich, not destitute, but raising a family,, meaning living in the lifestyle I am able too..... and hence counting every penny like most in my position.
Isn't it the case that the 40% tax rate comes in at the personal allowance plus £37K, so around £44K in total?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Isn't it the case that the 40% tax rate comes in at the personal allowance plus £37K, so around £44K in total?

very good question,,, and one which I thought I would write and ask my MP Mr Edward Timpson.... and do you know what.....

He replied........

Guess what he said........

HE DOESN'T KNOW :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
]He will ask the treasury and guess what they said

THEY ARE UNSURE :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Would you like me to scan up the letter? its great.

i wrote through

writeyourmp.com

A very good service:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have read here http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers-news.shtml that the overnighting facilities at Swanage & Upton on Severn have been withdrawn.
Swanage bans overnight stays
The inconsiderate action of a few motorhome users has resulted in Swanage Council banning all motorhomes from staying overnight. The following email from the council explains:
We did allow campervans in Main Beach car park for an overnight stay. This allowed people the option of staying an extra night, for example, on a Saturday night if they had to vacate the campsite on Saturday morning etc. Unfortunately as very often happens, a minority of people were abusing this facility and using the car park as a campsite. We received complaints that people were using the public conveniences to empty their chemical toilets. The toilets (which very often, had just been cleaned) had to be redone due to spillages. Complaints were also made that the stream had been used for the same purpose and very often trees etc were used to hang washing on! At the Transport Committee Meeting held on 30th November 2010 the following recommendation was taken: It was RECOMMENDED TO: Withdraw the opportunity for overnight parking of campervans in Main Beach and North Beach car parks as a result of mis-use of the Council's facilities. Therefore, there are no car parks available for this purpose. There are a couple of lay-by's in Swanage that motorhomes do use, very often for a night before they can get into a campsite. These are found at the north end of Swanage in the vicinity of Ulwell Cottage Caravan Park and Northbrook Road.
"
I Used to be a regular visiter to Swanage until some clever dickie in the council decided to display notices all around the town banning any vehicles with cooking facilities from stopping. Not a problem to me I've not been back for 5 years and have no intension of returning in the future.:imoutahere:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Unfortunately, in Swanage, we have ALL been tarred with the same brush, thro actions of a few smarta**es.

One other thing that I've noticed, here in Cornwall mostly, is the fact that the Council is starting to place a WEIGHT ban on carparking, perhaps instead of Height Restrictions (cheaper?) Vehicles over 1800kgs (from memory) are banned in some Car parks.

Is this the next millstone?:Sad:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
While I absolutely agree with the reasoning for the ban in Swanage, I must be honest and say the more I read the reasons given by the Malvern Hills District Council the more it snaps of greed and, to be absolutely frank, childish petulance ..

They cannot grab a slice of lolly so have banned its use..

Sorry but this just snaps of a nasty little regime of a council almost certainly run by people who have spent their lives grabbing everything in sight.. And when they cannot they react by ensuring other peoples enjoyment is spoilt.

I wonder how they would feel if the organisers or the 'Western' and of the music festivals now turned their backs on the three counties show ground and found a more council friendly venue ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Unfortunately, in Swanage, we have ALL been tarred with the same brush, thro actions of a few smarta**es.

One other thing that I've noticed, here in Cornwall mostly, is the fact that the Council is starting to place a WEIGHT ban on carparking, perhaps instead of Height Restrictions (cheaper?) Vehicles over 1800kgs (from memory) are banned in some Car parks.

No idea but like many many others I have long since voted with my feet ( wheels ! ) and will no longer spend any of my holiday time in this dump ..
My hard earned lolly now goes to other countries.. ones that offer me something other than grief when I tour

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Link Removed

It would appear that the cost of parking for 7 DAY TICKET at HANLEY ROAD
(CARS) was £5.00,or, 71p per day unless I am mistaken...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Weight restrictions are in place in many council TROs. They tended to be 1525 KG initially, based on S136 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 when it was first implemented, but now tend to be 3050 Kg following amendment of that Act.

While I absolutely agree with the reasoning for the ban in Swanage, I must be honest and say the more I read the reasons given by the Malvern Hills District Council the more it snaps of greed and, to be absolutely frank, childish petulance ..

They cannot grab a slice of lolly so have banned its use..

Sorry but this just snaps of a nasty little regime of a council almost certainly run by people who have spent their lives grabbing everything in sight.. And when they cannot they react by ensuring other peoples enjoyment is spoilt.

I wonder how they would feel if the organisers or the 'Western' and of the music festivals now turned their backs on the three counties show ground and found a more council friendly venue ?
I don't think that's the case John. My experience in dealing with Malvern Hills DC (unlike some other councils) is that they are very approachable and will try their best to help people with large vehicles to find somewhere safe to park. As a result of that experience I find it easy to believe that they have acted after their tolerance has been abused.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In which case they need to find someone to write their press releases who has actually left school and can express the councils stand point a little better ( to say the least )

And ... having just done a little more digging, the council in question is CONSTANTLY on about what and where it can grab a groat or two... Sorry to say I think I must stand by my original submission ( but am happy to accept your are just as likely to be right as I am ! ::bigsmile: )

And again I ask how they would feel is suddenly the three counties show ground was not to host several events !! We are brits.. we accept all sorts of crap.. We moan a lot.. But every now and then we snap and vote with outbreaks of sensible ideas and feet !!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In which case they need to find someone to write their press releases who has actually left school and can express the councils stand point a little better ( to say the least )
Yes, no argument :Smile:

And ... having just done a little more digging, the council in question is CONSTANTLY on about what and where it can grab a groat or two... Sorry to say I think I must stand by my original submission ( but am happy to accept your are just as likely to be right as I am ! ::bigsmile: )
Maybe we're both right - or wrong ::bigsmile:

And again I ask how they would feel is suddenly the three counties show ground was not to host several events !! We are brits.. we accept all sorts of crap.. We moan a lot.. But every now and then we snap and vote with outbreaks of sensible ideas and feet !!
Would they be bothered overmuch? I don't know how much the council actually receives from events. Isn't Three Counties Agricultural Society a private concern?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Maybe we're both right - or wrong ::bigsmile:

Makes no odds, facts are facts, these campers abused the parking and upset the council who have now applied the parking regulations..
therefore we shall now be enforcing the Parking Orders."
not made new ones.

The publicity this has generated has done the motorhome community and the Blue Badge scheme no good whatsoever .. to say the least.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back