Two more overnighting facilities withdrawn. (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I see your point, must be hard not being able to fly, certainly limits the possibilities, no intercontinental travel at all, ever.

ShiftZZ

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
Well, as the author of the piece which started this (http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers-news.shtml in case anyone's forgotten) might I be allowed to comment?

Some background:

I maintain the stopovers listing here: http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers.shtml for the benefit of all motorhome owners. I follow up suggestions and reports of possible new stopovers with an email to the councils concerned, just to clarify the position. Then if they confirm that motorhomes may stay overnight I add the location to my list. Once a year I do a batch of emails to the councils whose locations I have listed, just to check that they are up to date. That's how I found out about Swanage, Upton and Guisborough banning any further overnight stays by motorhomes.

Regarding the situation at Upton upon Severn:

I've used the Hanley Road car park in Upton upon Severn on the way to and from the Brecon Beacons and found it an excellent overnight stop, so I was concerned that the parking regulations were now going to be enforced. I had, a year previously, had an assurance from Malvern Hills DC that motorhomes could stay overnight on payment of the HGV parking fee. The HGV rate is the only one that allows overnight parking here. Anyone who has used the site will know that it is well used by HGVs at night.

I have to say that I can see where Malvern Hills are coming from. Although they were OK with a few motorhomes at a time, they don't want the car park used as a campsite. The easiest way for them to deal with the 'problem' is to enforce the existing parking orders.

I think there must be a way round this.

What I've done so far is to write to Upton on Severn Town Council, Malvern Hills District Council, the local Tourist and Trade Association, and the local Tourist Information centre.

In the letter I've suggested, as Upton appears to be a popular destination for motorhome users, that they should be treating this not as a 'problem' but as an 'opportunity'.

I pointed out the following, which appears on the Upton upon Severn Town Council website:

"There are also three riverside sites which are owned and maintained by the council for the benefit of visitors; picnic tables are provided. Moorings are also supplied for waterborne visitors."

I asked why visitors arriving by boat are welcomed to stay, but those arriving by motorhome are not.

The issue concerning the use of the stopover free of charge by Blue Badge holders is a difficult one, personally I have no objection to BB holders having free daytime parking, however I suggested that this concession should not apply to overnight stays as well.

I have offered to meet with local representatives to discuss the issues, if they want to.

I don't know if anything will come of my efforts but I felt that I had to do something.

I'll report any progress (or lack of!)

Andy

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
in France there are so many aires that people rarely stay more than one day, mostly they move on to the next one. .

If France has enough aires why are coach drivers complaining about motor homes abusing the facilities set out for coaches.:france::france::france:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
Malvern Hills Parking Consultation - have your say

It's been a long time since this issue (motorhome parking at Upton upon Severn) was raised but I have been in correspondence with both Upton upon Severn Town Council and Malvern Hills District Council over the past months, sadly without making much impression.

However Malvern Hills DC have just launched a consultation on parking in the district, so there may be an opportunity to put the case for allowing motorhomes to officially stay overnight at the Hanley Road Car Park in Upton.

I don't generally have a great deal of faith in consultations, but at least the opportunity is there...

Details of the consultation are here: Link Removed

Note that there are two ways to take part:

1) There is an on-line form, linked from the page, this does not allow for comments to be included with the submission.

2) The downloadable consultation document contains a series of questions together with an email address to which responses may be sent.

I'm off to submit my responses now...

Andy

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a few forgeries about. They wouldn't be difficult to make if anyone had access to an original to scan.

Attachments

• bbadge.gif
    bbadge.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 39
  • badge2.jpg
    badge2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 25

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
Well, here we are, over a year on... but there has been quite a good result.

Malvern Hills District Council are to bring in an overnight tariff for motorhomes at the Hanley Road Car Park in Upton upon Severn. As I understand it the proposal was accepted as part of an overhaul of parking policy in the district. It will be a while before new Parking Orders are drawn up, so until then the current regulations still apply.

I also understand that there might be a possibility of a water supply and a grey/black waste disposal facility too.

Andy

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Having never use a French Aires is there a similar problem over there if so how do they sort it out or are they so out of the way that people really just use it for a nights sleep ??? Are the policed regularly is there a limit to the number of hours /days allowed in one aires, are there better facilities provided on French Aires OR is it that some UK motorhomers just could not care less when they are on home turf but take more care when abroad - it does annoy me when the few spoil something for the majority
The BIG difference in France is that the French respect the Aires. Thay are always clean and tidy so that is why they have over 3000. The UK would have many more if it was not for the minority of freeloaders who abuse the sites and cause problems for us all. I give credit to the council's who have tried to offer overnight stays but don't blame them for closures either. I can NEVER see the UK having the freedom for travel as they do in France.

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
And finally...!

Malvern Hills District Council have now introduced a new TRO that permits 24 hour parking. The situation now is that motorhomes can park in the Hanley Road Car Park in Upton upon Severn, and the Priory Road South Car Park in Great Malvern and stay overnight. The TRO does still include a prohibition of sleeping camping and cooking but I have been assured by the Street Scene Manager that this will only be invoked in the case of anyone 'setting up camp', i.e. the 'parking not camping' rule applies.

Currently the same rules apply to cars and motorhomes which means that it's just £3 for a 24 hour period. This is likely to change some time in 2014 when there will probably be a specific motorhome tariff. The council also hope to be able to install a fresh water tap and toilet and waste water disposal facilities at Upton.

Andy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The TRO does still include a prohibition of sleeping camping and cooking but I have been assured by the Street Scene Manager that this will only be invoked in the case of anyone 'setting up camp', i.e. the 'parking not camping' rule applies.
Andy

Can you understand that ?

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
Can you understand that ?
Yes.

It's not very satisfactory but I can see their point of view, they want to retain the option of taking action in the event of any abuses.

In fact the same thing applies at the motorhome stopover at the Canterbury Park & Ride, in spite of the dedicated facility provided the TRO still states no camping etc...

Andy

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I think it is usually the case where a few spoil things for the many, Regarding blue badges, my friend has just got hers, not easy nowadays, apart from a mountain of endless forms ,she had to go for an assessment, and she had to pay £10 to get one

Simsy 56 wrote, they are like animals, why when humans do or say something that is out of order, "they are like animals " no they are not, animals are better than some humans, this expression has no place in that context, just my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

I know folk who use their wife`s BB when the wife isn`t in the car, also why is parking on double yellow lines allowed, ? I thought that was because it was too dangerous for cars to park near corners etc, so why, are disabled pps car not dangerous in the same situation that an able body persons car is ?.I am not knocking the disabled before anyone gets on their high horse. but from a safety angle it doesn`t make sense to me.

Last edited:

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
I understand that the Blue Badge concession allowing free parking will not extend to the motorhome overnight tariff, which seems quite reasonable to me.

Andy

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
the surge of the blue badges abusing there use:cry:

Trouble is, it's not just blue badge holders, loads of people abuse parking restrictions, just walk past a school at drop off/ pick up times and see all the cars parked on corners, double yellow lines, blocking people's driveways and actually on the zigzags, then try and point out what dangers they are causing and you get a mouthful of abuse, and then supermarket car parks where people park where they like, disabled bays with no badge showing, parent and toddler bays with no kids. It seems to be a British disease, do what you want and stuff everybody else.
I thought Motorhomers were better behaved, but it seems there are some that aren't.
I think the council parking enforcement section should be able to give out enndorseable tickets for thoughtless parking. It might make people think when they have their licence at stake. 4 parking tickets, disqualified for a year!
:Angry:
Victor Meldew mode off....and, relax......

Allan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I understand that the Blue Badge concession allowing free parking will not extend to the motorhome overnight tariff, which seems quite reasonable to me.

Andy
If I recall correctly, overnighting by motorhomes at Upton was suspended in the first place because of blue badge holders staying for free to the detriment of others.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Trouble is, it's not just blue badge holders, loads of people abuse parking restrictions, just walk past a school at drop off/ pick up times and see all the cars parked on corners, double yellow lines, blocking people's driveways and actually on the zigzags, then try and point out what dangers they are causing and you get a mouthful of abuse, and then supermarket car parks where people park where they like, disabled bays with no badge showing, parent and toddler bays with no kids. It seems to be a British disease, do what you want and stuff everybody else.
I thought Motorhomers were better behaved, but it seems there are some that aren't.
[HI]I think the council parking enforcement section should be able to give out enndorseable tickets for thoughtless parking. It might make people think when they have their licence at stake. 4 parking tickets, disqualified for a year![/HI]
:Angry:
Victor Meldew mode off....and, relax......

Allan
What a good idea :thumb::thumb:

Include driving through no entry signs and against directional arrows in car parks as well :Smile:

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
If I recall correctly, overnighting by motorhomes at Upton was suspended in the first place because of blue badge holders staying for free to the detriment of others.
That was certainly one of the reasons given to me for enforcing the original TRO which included a one hour no parking period in the middle of the night. The period before and after the Western Motorhome Show was mentioned specifically.

At least MHDC have recognised a need and are prepared to accommodate it, rather than take the attitude of some other local authorities and introduce a total ban.

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back