Torx bolt seized head ruined (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It’s only slightly mangled so first I’m trying gluing the original T25 driver bit into the hole with some Araldite Metal hopefully there’s enough bite left In the head to get a grip

If that fails I’ll try a slightly bigger Torx head T27, and an alan key

If that fails I’ll try some of the other ideas when I get back home.

Will report back !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm just pleased it's the bike and not the van Robert ;) I won't be offering any advice as you have more than enough suggestions above but good luck anyway(y)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Superglue a Phillips screwdriver bit leave to set try that nothing to lose. Or like me ask the wife to undo it then when she undoes it say I loosened it for you😂😂. Good luck

Was late with my suggestions RC

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
Wow, less than 2 hours and 35 responses, personally I would tap round using a small cold chisel as already advised.

Good luck

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Sadly there is little access to the head

View attachment 504114

I’ll try the stud remover when we’re home

It’s a t25 head - Amy idea what thread size that corresponds to ?
Drill a hole [through the side of the head] large enough to insert a screwdriver shaft or similar to get the bolt moving? Or use the smallest set of needle nosed mole grips laid flat to grip by the tips of the grips [free poetry!]

Steve

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Support the other side of the fitting on something solid like a wooden block on a concrete floor then drive in a good quality slightly oversized torx or splined bit, the hammering will hopeful loosen the threads in the aluminium, once the bit is driven deep into the head the bolt will come out.
Last resort is the drill.
Good luck

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Robert Clark

i cant wait to find out how you got it out and who won the prize of a 'gnarled' torx bolt ..... i have so many ideas of what to do with it if i win .....

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert Clark

i cant wait to find out how you got it out and who won the prize of a 'gnarled' torx bolt ..... i have so many ideas of what to do with it if i win .....

Option 1 - Torx driver bit glued with Araldite Metal was a FAIL

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Although it's already been mentioned the careful use of a cold chisel should almost certainly work. Ideally a half round one used on the top edge of the head but a flat one should also work but whichever is used it must be sharp. For a few pounds I would buy a new one.

Tap very gently to start with. If you can file a small notch in the head first so the chisel can get a better grip you might be able to use a blunt chisel. :)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
On a different note I was surprised to discover that one T25 screw was M6 and the identical screw on our other bike was M5

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
As said by others , heat is a must , soldering iron is best , hammer in bigger torx or similar ( not Allen key )
if that doesn’t move it or the welder option then the drilling it out & stud remover will be a big ask
IMO

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Because of the limited access I’d drill it out deeper and use the ‘easy out’ stud extractors already mentioned.
My experiences of "easy outs" and seized bolts is that they're more likely to cause further damage than anything else, making it even more impossible to remove the bolt without causing further damage. I once managed to crack a cast iron engine block using an easy out.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
My experiences of "easy outs" and seized bolts is that they're more likely to cause further damage than anything else, making it even more impossible to remove the bolt without causing further damage. I once managed to crack a cast iron engine block using an easy out.
Worked brilliantly on my Triumph crank sludge trap plug, notoriously difficult to remove. You must use the right size and have it in far enough though, many folk have snapped them, then your in bother.
The bolts in the picture look soft enough to be drilled and an easy out in there, just needs as big a hole as possible to get largest easy out furthest in.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Before I apply heat, should I apply WD40?
How long should I apply the heat for?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Before I apply heat, should I apply WD40?
How long should I apply the heat for?
It's the final temperature that matters. Aluminium and stainless steel are both good conductors of heat so it will spread quickly. Aluminium expands more than stainless steel, so the hotter the better. In case you're wondering, a hole expands just as much as the solid metal.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's the final temperature that matters. Aluminium and stainless steel are both good conductors of heat so it will spread quickly. Aluminium expands more than stainless steel, so the hotter the better. In case you're wondering, a hole expands just as much as the solid metal.
What about WD40 ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes neither would I.

Most of the sensible suggestions have been offered so far. The larger torx or allen key driven in should work .

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you want to use heat a soldering iron will just cool off in the bold head.

Better would be to tap a big nail into the head and blast the nail with a blow torch to get it red hot. Copper nail even better 👍

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Looking at the position of that i would drill a shallow 3mm hole in the side and try to use a punch to turn itim not sure what the part is but you need to hold it firm
but as said i wouild try to smash an allen key socket into the top first

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back