DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are some ideas in this video. The one at the end using a centre punch is interesting. I first saw this being done with a half-round chisel but for a smaller screw a centre punch works. I would try it on the side of the head first, not the top. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why do you want it undone?

Because we have to rotate the handle bars to get the bikes onto the rack and into thd garage

899C21C4-1EDE-4E3E-83A3-99F3C5C5EC91.jpeg

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Nice bikes Robert, are they Chargers. We have step through R&M bikes on a Veloslide too, so I know about the handlebars, however we are fortunate as our bolts are Allen heads and I have one of those nifty tee bars with a ball type Allen head so it can be used at at wide range of angles. Change the bolts if you can and that might reduce the risk of damage.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Nice bikes Robert, are they Chargers. We have step through R&M bikes on a Veloslide too, so I know about the handlebars, however we are fortunate as our bolts are Allen heads and I have one of those nifty tee bars with a ball type Allen head so it can be used at at wide range of angles. Change the bolts if you can and that might reduce the risk of damage.
No Michael they’re SuperDelite
I’ve already changed the bolts on my bike to Allen key bolts and smeared copper grease on the thread
And I’ve got 1 lose on Mrs C’s
It’s the final one that’s the problem
It’s lose enough to turn the handlebars so not preventing us using the bike

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We both like the R&M bikes, we had Kalkhofs before and Felts before them. The Swings are by far the most comfortable that we have ridden. Not sporty like yours but they do the job of getting us about and with large panniers enable our shopping trips with ease. Do you have belt drive, that's the only thing I hanker after and when/if we change these that will be a must have.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We both like the R&M bikes, we had Kalkhofs before and Felts before them. The Swings are by far the most comfortable that we have ridden. Not sporty like yours but they do the job of getting us about and with large panniers enable our shopping trips with ease. Do you have belt drive, that's the only thing I hanker after and when/if we change these that will be a must have.
Yes they both have belt drives and Rholoff hub gears
Much cleaner than a chain when loading into the garage

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Clean the head of the bolt and make sure the WD40 or whatever is removed. Put the earth of the welder to the metal you are working with. Make sure you dont earth through a bearing. Build up weld from the middle of the bolt head slowly until tou have enough of a stub to tap a nut over it (make sure the nut is a tight fit over the stub) weld the nut to the stub and let it cool until it is almost cool enough to touch. at this point give it some penetrating spray and let it cool completely. Then with a socket try to turn it out, once it moves a tiny bit turn clockwise back in. More penetrating spray and extract until you think it feels it might be seizing then turn back in. If you rush it it might break, then you have to start over. You could also try welding a deposit on the side of the head to give you something to tap round with a chisel. At the opposite side to the weld you have just made put a screwdriver in to counter the force from the chisel (get somebody to hold this) Just before your weld binds as it unscrews tap it back round and grind the weld off with a die grinder to allow it to rotate fully. Get a man who can weld to do the job. I have been removing broken fixings with the welder for over fifty years, I use mig now. John. PS dont use the tapered easy outs they are worse than useless, if you must use them use the parallel set from Snapon. The price will make your teeth meet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Nice looking bikes

Is this page 5? Obviously not
Is there not one of you experts living near Robert who can do it for him?
Always happy to listen to the advice of others, though I really do prefer to do things for myself

Reactions: DBK
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
When you have sorted out he tork bolt can you sort out a stubborn wife?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I am beginning to find that out☹️

Back to the thread (pun intended). Are all tork bolts metric?

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
(It's not page 5 yet on my device.....) It's been a useful thread though, as I've just realised the same thing is happening to the Allen key heads in our handlebar bolts. They are quite soft alloy and the sockets are rounding.
Let's hear it for page 5!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
(It's not page 5 yet on my device.....) It's been a useful thread though, as I've just realised the same thing is happening to the Allen key heads in our handlebar bolts. They are quite soft alloy and the sockets are rounding.
Let's hear it for page 5!
Thd replacements ones I’ve bought are stainless steel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back