Tomtom Problem.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Snowbird, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

My tomtom 900 has died. Switched it on today and it just sticks on the black screen with the tomtom logo. I have tried a hard start, but no joy. Any ideas before I try and get another off the bay.

2. Hudders1

Hudders1 Read Only Funster

Connect it to your laptop or computer then turn it on but charge it up for an hour or two if you have a charger

3. Footpad

Footpad Read Only Funster

Only buy from ebay as a last resort, buy through Friday Ad, Gumtree or your local paper you will save money.

Sell your duff one with an honest description of the problem on ebay you will be amazed what folk will pay.

4. Snowbird

OOps, sorry its a 700 not a 900. Just tried connecting to the laptop and it comes up "USB device not recognised"

5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Dave you have stuck a paper lip up the small hole at the bottom. :Smile:, so much in yours hope you can reserect it.

6. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Ours too. We threw it in the bin and bought a Pro Drive PD7 on ebay.
    Brilliant piece of kit.

7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

sounds like a dead battery, can't your techy lad sort it.

8. Snowbird

Have stuck a clip up its bottom with no joy :Wink:
    The battery is charged with no problems :thumb:
    The tech lad has buggered off to Istanbul just when I need him :Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If it needs mendin' wi' a new un Dave, check Currys and Halfords as they often have end of range models with lifetime map updates at prices hardly more (or even less) than the map subscription.

10. Snowbird

Thanks for the replies lads. Replacement with anything other than a 700 is out of the question. I get free updates and maps of east as well as western Europe and Morocco free. So if it needs replacing it will only be for a like for like. The downside is that because its an old model now there are no new ones available. Will have to wait till the professor comes back from his jaunt to Istanbul on Thursday to find out if its terminal.

11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Wow a 700 is getting very old now. You are lucky it has lasted that long. By the way you can't move your maps onto another device - they are locked to your device only. So you will be stuck with what maps the new one has.

You could try asking Tom Tom to allow you to move them over, but don't expect a good answer - they are known for being very poor at customer support. Many years ago when I was using their software on a Windows Mobile phone I knew more about that software than there own support people did. And I understand it has not got any better.

Do you have a smartphone (Apple or Android)? If so you can get lots of sat nav apps, including Tom Tom, much cheaper than buying a new sat nav or repairing your old one. I run Sygic on my Android phone and tablet, and that uses Tom Tom's map and traffic data. But it is a lot cheaper and also has better support.

12. upopup

upopup Read Only Funster

If you've got access to a grandson of about 6 years old, try him..................... works for me!! :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Snowbird

Do I know about that one :Rofl1:. That little so and so has embarrassed me many a time :Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

TomTom, although not as good on customer service as Garmin, still do a decent repair turn around at reasonable cost

15. Snowbird

Hi John, I agree. The one I have now is an exchange which tomtom sent me about 5 years ago without charge for my original one that packed up after around 5 years. Five years seems to be the lifespan of these 700s.

16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I have an old tomtom 710 that i keep as a spare or put in wifes car. we had the same issue with it suddenly not booting up beyond a black screen. fixed it by holding the reset switch in for 60 seconds and holding the power button at the same time. this clears the BIOS settings and allows it to boot. then you need to reset time and date etc and plug into computer to update whilst giving it a good charge

batterys are available still for the old tomtoms on ebay. you just need to be brave enough to unscrew the casing, but if its not working, theres nothing to lose really. have fixed a few family and friends satnavs over the years by replacing inbuilt battery

17. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Dave when we went to Santa Pod last w/e our Tomtom also had a black screen, although a very faint hint of the text with the aid of the sun shining on it I eventually managed to program it after alot of ##:'#::# , we could hear it perfectly but no visual ...

Just wondering if there was some sort of Tomtom purge :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Ours is a 910 with all europe etc and USA maps , last we used it was for Lincoln (4wks prev) when it was ok ..

But thanx to some of the advice given already perhaps if I charge it via electric it will re- resurrect itself again :pray::pray:

Like you we have kept up the updates until this last year so it will be costly to exchange it and would hate to lose all the info installed

Would anyone know of this fault also ...hoping you dont mind me asking on your thread

Kath

18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

It doesn't sound like the battery otherwise it wouldn't come on at all (we had that problem and had to get a new battery).

Other ideas:

If you can get the back off, try disconnecting the battery lead (the battery itself will be stuck in but you might be able to get the lead off), leave it off for a couple of minutes then put it back on and see if that has sorted it (you never know ....).

Have you tried linking it to your laptop and THEN turning it on? This may kick-start your laptop into recognising it. If it does, then you could try reinstalling the software

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/an...2LzEvdGltZS8xMzgzNDI2Mjc5L3NpZC8tVVVXRm1FbA==

19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

holding in the reset switch and on/off button does the same thing. the reset switch disconnects the battery temporarily, holding the on switch drains any residual current in the board held in capacitors etc

if you do take the back off, the leads coming from the battery terminate in a 2 pin connector on the board. its a push fit and keyed to ensure you get it right. a low battery voltage may be sufficient to run the board but not enough for the display to light up. quite a common problem

20. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

"If you can get the back off, try disconnecting the battery lead (the battery itself will be stuck in but you might be able to get the lead off), "

I decided to replace the battery on my Tom Tom and saw a You Tube video explaining how to do it. Bought a new battery and set about replacing it but had great difficulty in releasing the old one from the circuit board.

There was a hiss, lots of smoke, a terrible smell and a great amount of heat generated when I bent the battery just a little too far. I think that I was very lucky not to either burn myself or to fry the Tom Tom. It still works today but beware! :Doh: