LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My tomtom 900 has died. Switched it on today and it just sticks on the black screen with the tomtom logo. I have tried a hard start, but no joy. Any ideas before I try and get another off the bay.

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Connect it to your laptop or computer then turn it on but charge it up for an hour or two if you have a charger

Footpad

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
South Downs National Park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Many
Only buy from ebay as a last resort, buy through Friday Ad, Gumtree or your local paper you will save money.

Sell your duff one with an honest description of the problem on ebay you will be amazed what folk will pay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Connect it to your laptop or computer then turn it on but charge it up for an hour or two if you have a charger

OOps, sorry its a 700 not a 900. Just tried connecting to the laptop and it comes up "USB device not recognised"

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Dave you have stuck a paper lip up the small hole at the bottom. :Smile:, so much in yours hope you can reserect it.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Ours too. We threw it in the bin and bought a Pro Drive PD7 on ebay.
Brilliant piece of kit.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have stuck a clip up its bottom with no joy :winky:
The battery is charged with no problems :thumb:
The tech lad has buggered off to Istanbul just when I need him :Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If it needs mendin' wi' a new un Dave, check Currys and Halfords as they often have end of range models with lifetime map updates at prices hardly more (or even less) than the map subscription.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for the replies lads. Replacement with anything other than a 700 is out of the question. I get free updates and maps of east as well as western Europe and Morocco free. So if it needs replacing it will only be for a like for like. The downside is that because its an old model now there are no new ones available. Will have to wait till the professor comes back from his jaunt to Istanbul on Thursday to find out if its terminal.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Wow a 700 is getting very old now. You are lucky it has lasted that long. By the way you can't move your maps onto another device - they are locked to your device only. So you will be stuck with what maps the new one has.

You could try asking Tom Tom to allow you to move them over, but don't expect a good answer - they are known for being very poor at customer support. Many years ago when I was using their software on a Windows Mobile phone I knew more about that software than there own support people did. And I understand it has not got any better.

Do you have a smartphone (Apple or Android)? If so you can get lots of sat nav apps, including Tom Tom, much cheaper than buying a new sat nav or repairing your old one. I run Sygic on my Android phone and tablet, and that uses Tom Tom's map and traffic data. But it is a lot cheaper and also has better support.

upopup

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
lincoln
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
not
Thanks for the replies lads. Replacement with anything other than a 700 is out of the question. I get free updates and maps of east as well as western Europe and Morocco free. So if it needs replacing it will only be for a like for like. The downside is that because its an old model now there are no new ones available. Will have to wait till the professor comes back from his jaunt to Istanbul on Thursday to find out if its terminal.

If you've got access to a grandson of about 6 years old, try him..................... works for me!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you've got access to a grandson of about 6 years old, try him..................... works for me!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do I know about that one :ROFLMAO:. That little so and so has embarrassed me many a time :Blush:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
TomTom, although not as good on customer service as Garmin, still do a decent repair turn around at reasonable cost

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
TomTom, although not as good on customer service as Garmin, still do a decent repair turn around at reasonable cost

Hi John, I agree. The one I have now is an exchange which tomtom sent me about 5 years ago without charge for my original one that packed up after around 5 years. Five years seems to be the lifespan of these 700s.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have an old tomtom 710 that i keep as a spare or put in wifes car. we had the same issue with it suddenly not booting up beyond a black screen. fixed it by holding the reset switch in for 60 seconds and holding the power button at the same time. this clears the BIOS settings and allows it to boot. then you need to reset time and date etc and plug into computer to update whilst giving it a good charge

batterys are available still for the old tomtoms on ebay. you just need to be brave enough to unscrew the casing, but if its not working, theres nothing to lose really. have fixed a few family and friends satnavs over the years by replacing inbuilt battery

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Dave when we went to Santa Pod last w/e our Tomtom also had a black screen, although a very faint hint of the text with the aid of the sun shining on it I eventually managed to program it after alot of ##:'#::# , we could hear it perfectly but no visual ...

Just wondering if there was some sort of Tomtom purge :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ours is a 910 with all europe etc and USA maps , last we used it was for Lincoln (4wks prev) when it was ok ..

But thanx to some of the advice given already perhaps if I charge it via electric it will re- resurrect itself again :pray::pray:

Like you we have kept up the updates until this last year so it will be costly to exchange it and would hate to lose all the info installed

Would anyone know of this fault also ...hoping you dont mind me asking on your thread

Kath

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It doesn't sound like the battery otherwise it wouldn't come on at all (we had that problem and had to get a new battery).

Other ideas:

If you can get the back off, try disconnecting the battery lead (the battery itself will be stuck in but you might be able to get the lead off), leave it off for a couple of minutes then put it back on and see if that has sorted it (you never know ....).

Have you tried linking it to your laptop and THEN turning it on? This may kick-start your laptop into recognising it. If it does, then you could try reinstalling the software

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/an...2LzEvdGltZS8xMzgzNDI2Mjc5L3NpZC8tVVVXRm1FbA==

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It doesn't sound like the battery otherwise it wouldn't come on at all (we had that problem and had to get a new battery).

Other ideas:

If you can get the back off, try disconnecting the battery lead (the battery itself will be stuck in but you might be able to get the lead off), leave it off for a couple of minutes then put it back on and see if that has sorted it (you never know ....).

Have you tried linking it to your laptop and THEN turning it on? This may kick-start your laptop into recognising it. If it does, then you could try reinstalling the software

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/an...2LzEvdGltZS8xMzgzNDI2Mjc5L3NpZC8tVVVXRm1FbA==

holding in the reset switch and on/off button does the same thing. the reset switch disconnects the battery temporarily, holding the on switch drains any residual current in the board held in capacitors etc

if you do take the back off, the leads coming from the battery terminate in a 2 pin connector on the board. its a push fit and keyed to ensure you get it right. a low battery voltage may be sufficient to run the board but not enough for the display to light up. quite a common problem

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
"If you can get the back off, try disconnecting the battery lead (the battery itself will be stuck in but you might be able to get the lead off), "

I decided to replace the battery on my Tom Tom and saw a You Tube video explaining how to do it. Bought a new battery and set about replacing it but had great difficulty in releasing the old one from the circuit board.

There was a hiss, lots of smoke, a terrible smell and a great amount of heat generated when I bent the battery just a little too far. I think that I was very lucky not to either burn myself or to fry the Tom Tom. It still works today but beware! :Doh:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know the battery is fine as if I leave it switched on the tomtom logo will stay there for hours.

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
From the TomTom support pages for a Go 700:

Broken Link Removed

Worth a try.
HTH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for the replies lads. [HI]Replacement with anything other than a 700 is out of the question. I get free updates and maps of east as well as western Europe and Morocco free.[/HI] So if it needs replacing it will only be for a like for like. The downside is that because its an old model now there are no new ones available. Will have to wait till the professor comes back from his jaunt to Istanbul on Thursday to find out if its terminal.

Worth checking, Dave, but I'm not so sure that will continue on another device.

Lifetime updates are registered to a particular person (so don't accompany a device if it is sold on) but normally refer to the lifetime of the device not the owner so when the device fails completely that's it.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Worth checking, Dave, but I'm not so sure that will continue on another device.

Lifetime updates are registered to a particular person (so don't accompany a device if it is sold on) but normally refer to the lifetime of the device not the owner so when the device fails completely that's it.

Errr they are not that type of map :winky:

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Could be a corrupt sd card. If you have backed up your Tomtom to a computer put a blank sd card in and connect to the computer. It should give you the option to restore from back up.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Errr they are not that type of map :winky:

Not sure what that comment means. However, as I said before, your licence for the maps (you don't "own" them) is locked to one device. When you update the map that remains the same. So if you get another device you can't use the maps you have at the moment, you can only use the maps on the new device. That is unless you can persuade Tom Tom to allow you to move them, and good luck with that! :Eeek:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not sure what that comment means. However, as I said before, your licence for the maps (you don't "own" them) is locked to one device. When you update the map that remains the same. So if you get another device you can't use the maps you have at the moment, you can only use the maps on the new device. That is unless you can persuade Tom Tom to allow you to move them, and good luck with that! :Eeek:

I will try to explain without compromising myself. The Tomtom 700 has a huge memory and there are certain sites that are up in space somewhere that maps of Morocco and eastern Europe can be downloaded from without charge, or so someone down the pub told me. I must quickly add that I personally would never do such a thing, but I like the knowledge that if I did want to, I could :winky:. If that makes sense.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I will try to explain without compromising myself. The Tomtom 700 has a huge memory and there are certain sites that are up in space somewhere that maps of Morocco and eastern Europe can be downloaded from without charge, or so someone down the pub told me. I must quickly add that I personally would never do such a thing, but I like the knowledge that if I did want to, I could :winky:. If that makes sense.
I must be drinking down the same pub Dave. :ROFLMAO: TomTom Truck on a TT720 SD card. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back