Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
View attachment 264261 Gas it refillable system, bought and DIY fitted
You're supposed to take the white netting off .... :D

Serious question ... where does the flexi-hose go that's through the hole under the regulator? Assuming that's the external wall - do you access the gas locker in the garage?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I have heard there is a potential insurance implication with self installed - a gas certificate would possibly cover it off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
You're supposed to take the white netting off .... :D

Serious question ... where does the flexi-hose go that's through the hole under the regulator? Assuming that's the external wall - do you access the gas locker in the garage?

That reads like a Michael Cain joke :) The netting was left on so the bottles would turn in the straps when I went to charge the system, this lets the pipes settle into their least stressed positions. I left the sealant out of the hole where the pipe passes through the internal bulkhead for the same reason. The netting is now in the bin and the bulkhead sealed..

There are 2 pipes visible under the regulator. The thin one is original fitment, it goes straight down to the floor and into the cupboard behind it then across the MH to isolation taps. The larger pipe is from the external filling point, through the wall of the cupboard and into the gas locker from where it is linked to the filling points on each tank.

2018-10-26 17.23.02.jpg

2018-10-26 17.33.11.jpg

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Its arrived ... my new Gumotex kayak is here and hubby's blown it up as well as the old one ... same size etc, but the new one won't pack down as small due to the different material so the allocated space in the camper will be too small for it so it'll have to be reorganised ... again! :rolleyes:
Which one have you gone for Mel?

Deleted User
I have heard there is a potential insurance implication with self installed - a gas certificate would possibly cover it off

I contacted the broker before buying the kit, they had no idea what I was trying to explain to them so passed the enquire to the underwriters. They said they come across it on a regular basis and take the view it actually presents less risk than constantly swapping and connecting exchange bottles which most caravan and motorhome users do on a regular basis.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I contacted the broker before buying the kit, they had no idea what I was trying to explain to them so passed the enquire to the underwriters. They said they come across it on a regular basis and take the view it actually presents less risk than constantly swapping and connecting exchange bottles which most caravan and motorhome users do on a regular basis.
Good and well done you for installing the kit. I had to use stainless steel feeds in my Gaslow system are they not insisting on that anymore or are they anyhow - I sound really negative not meant to come across that way!

Deleted User
Good and well done you for installing the kit. I had to use stainless steel feeds in my Gaslow system are they not insisting on that anymore or are they anyhow - I sound really negative not meant to come across that way!

I think the jury is still out on externally braided hoses to be honest. Because of the inability to inspect the condition of the actual hose ‘some’ habitation checks have started to add a caviar stating this.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think the jury is still out on externally braided hoses to be honest. Because of the inability to inspect the condition of the actual hose ‘some’ habitation checks have started to add a caviar stating this.
... something fishy about that :D2 ... caveat by any chance??? :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The larger pipe is from the external filling point, through the wall of the cupboard and into the gas locker from where it is linked to the filling points on each tank.
There is a train of thought that having the filler fitted so that the inside of it goes into the main habitation area (albeit in a cupboard) is a no-no ... the reason being that if you are filling it and the internal nut is loose, or there is a leak there, your MH 'could' have high pressure gas pushed into it which would be very dangerous, its certainly something I would avoid doing at all costs.

Deleted User
There is a train of thought that having the filler fitted so that the inside of it goes into the main habitation area (albeit in a cupboard) is a no-no ... the reason being that if you are filling it and the internal nut is loose, or there is a leak there, your MH 'could' have high pressure gas pushed into it which would be very dangerous, its certainly something I would avoid doing at all costs.

Any lpg in the habitation area is dangerous, but it’s heavier than air which is why we have floor vents.

Deleted User

I should probobly expand on my earlier light hearted response for the benefit of anyone else considering this. You are of course right to a point, but the tanks have one way valves on the fill side so any leak even if it had been left as it is in the picture would only be what was in the 60cm of pipe between the fill point and the tanks.

As I mentioned earlier the pictures were before any sealing had been done to allow pipes and tanks to settle in place. I didn't see any point in photographing a plain box with a pipe in and a pipe out, the picture was to show the setup. The pipe was later sealed where it passes from locker to cupboard and the back of the filler point and the pipe coupling are all encased in an airtight box with a vent pipe down through the floor. It sounds complicated but it really isn't, I just can't post a pic as its back in storage until the next trip.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That reads like a Michael Cain joke :) The netting was left on so the bottles would turn in the straps when I went to charge the system, this lets the pipes settle into their least stressed positions. I left the sealant out of the hole where the pipe passes through the internal bulkhead for the same reason. The netting is now in the bin and the bulkhead sealed..

There are 2 pipes visible under the regulator. The thin one is original fitment, it goes straight down to the floor and into the cupboard behind it then across the MH to isolation taps. The larger pipe is from the external filling point, through the wall of the cupboard and into the gas locker from where it is linked to the filling points on each tank.

View attachment 264353
View attachment 264354
That pipe isn't going through a part of the inside of the van is it?
I think your meant to keep all the gas hoses either inside the gas locker or outside the van. Should that connection leak you'll be filling inside of van with gas .especially at the filler point

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yep I just commented on that too.
Not a good idea to have the filler there. Fitted to locker door or skirt panel is a better option

Deleted User
That pipe isn't going through a part of the inside of the van is it?
I think your meant to keep all the gas hoses either inside the gas locker or outside the van. Should that connection leak you'll be filling inside of van with gas .especially at the filler point

If you are supposed to keep all the pipework in the locker or outside the van how are you going to get gas to your oven, fridge, hob and heating? If you scroll and look at subsequent posts you will see the fill point is in fact enclosed in an airtight box with its own drop vent, isolating the fill point and connections from the habitation area. I didn't see much point in posting a picture of a box, it tells the viewer nothing.

Deleted User
Yep I just commented on that too.
Not a good idea to have the filler there. Fitted to locker door or skirt panel is a better option

Please read the thread before commenting. I am not going to repeat it all again sorry. As for fitting it to the locker door, that is in fact the worse place to fit it. We are not supposed to travel with gas on so the locker should if you are doing it right be opened and closed many times. This puts strain on hoses, fitting and the door where the inlet is mounted.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you are supposed to keep all the pipework in the locker or outside the van how are you going to get gas to your oven, fridge, hob and heating? .
All the internal pipework is very low pressure, normally 30mbar from memory. The supply from the bottle to the regulator is at much higher pressure, and the supply from the filling point to the gas bottles is even higher pressure. Normally high pressure gas pipes are not installed in the habitation area.

Deleted User
All the internal pipework is very low pressure, normally 30mbar from memory. The supply from the bottle to the regulator is at much higher pressure, and the supply from the filling point to the gas bottles is even higher pressure. Normally high pressure gas pipes are not installed in the habitation area.

OK no more replies to people who can't be bothered to read the thread.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you are supposed to keep all the pipework in the locker or outside the van how are you going to get gas to your oven, fridge, hob and heating? If you scroll and look at subsequent posts you will see the fill point is in fact enclosed in an airtight box with its own drop vent, isolating the fill point and connections from the habitation area. I didn't see much point in posting a picture of a box, it tells the viewer nothing.
The pipes going to your appliances are metal not rubber and sealed differently from the filler pipe to inlet.

But you bash on lol its your van.

You can travel with gas on in fact both my Frankia and this hymer mention the ability to drive with the heater and hot water heater running. I also leave my fridge on gas at all times.

Crash regulator so my gas locker is never opened really but it is a gas approved locker fitted by the manufacturer.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OK no more replies to people who can't be bothered to read the thread.
I rated that one funny because I doubt that anybody has read the whole thread, given that it started over 8 years ago and now consists of over 8,000 posts covering all sorts of purchases. I have however read all of the bit of the thread that covered your installation ..................

Deleted User
The pipes going to your appliances are metal not rubber and sealed differently from the filler pipe to inlet.

But you bash on lol its your van.

You can travel with gas on in fact both my Frankia and this hymer mention the ability to drive with the heater and hot water heater running. I also leave my fridge on gas at all times.

Crash regulator so my gas locker is never opened really but it is a gas approved locker fitted by the manufacturer.

And pipes from the tank(s) to the Reg and Reg yo appliances are pressurised all the time and able to leak the contents of the whole tank into the habitation area. The fill pipe is isolated from the tank
once filling is complete, so worst case scenario is that it develops a leak an the contents of a whole 600mm pipe drop through the floor?

As for never turning your gas off, that’s fine it’s your van. Try telling the Ferry/Eurotunnel that and see how you get on? Likewise, see how your insurance company respond when you tell them you store it with the gas on?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And pipes from the tank(s) to the Reg and Reg yo appliances are pressurised all the time and able to leak the contents of the whole tank into the habitation area. The fill pipe is isolated from the tank
once filling is complete, so worst case scenario is that it develops a leak an the contents of a whole 600mm pipe drop through the floor?

As for never turning your gas off, that’s fine it’s your van. Try telling the Ferry/Eurotunnel that and see how you get on? Likewise, see how your insurance company respond when you tell them you store it with the gas on?
Like I said it's your van :)

I've used the tunnel once and turned it off once.

I live in the van so it isn't stored and my insurance are fine with that after all it's a motorhome.
Might be a different matter if yours goes on fire etc and an inspector spots a pipe not in the proper locker.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back