Thank you Gas It

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Badknee, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Just got back from an eighteen day break and filled up with LPG bearing in mind we only had three nights on EHU so fifteen nights on gas and two of them were cold so the heating was on, check out the receipt 42p ltr. image.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

We are just back from the Lake District in our new MH and I had the GasIt installed from the off.
    We did 6 nights wild with no EHU where we cooked on both hob and oven, had the heating on regularly and ran the fridge off the gas at night and the gauge on the 11kg bottle has hardly moved!
    Really impressed with the simplicity of the system just filling up the lpg when I fuel up with diesel and it's brilliant not having to lug heavy gas bottles around.
    I paid £18 for 34 litres of lpg as was out in the sticks so 52p a litre but it much cheaper at the Tesco near where I live so over the time we have the van the GasIt will pay for itself with the added bonus I can transfer it to a new van in the future
    I'd recommend the system to anyone

• Like Like x 2
  3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Sorry to disappoint but as much as I love GasIt and recommend them all the time as great VFM, they will admit themselves the magnetic style gauge far from reliable. they stay on full forever, then drop dramatically.....

4 hole bottles that have a mechanical float a bit more reliable. but if you have two bottles its hardly and issue and why i have the cheap GasIt bottles also:D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Ah, I thought it seemed too good to be true!

We do have two bottles and a changeover valve so when it switches to the second bottle I'll fill up soon after

• Like Like x 1
  5. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i read that as 120 litres of gas and was working out the diesel costs to Cheshire

• Like Like x 3
  6. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

I read somewhere recently that the plastic gauge stays on full until the gas is half way down, then it fairly accurately reads how much is left of that half. Just remember if it says half full, its half of a half (a quarter) and then it makes sense.

I filled my 11kg Gas-It bottle two years ago and have since moved it to three other motorhomes. Cooking (lots), some heating (not much), some fridging and a fair bit of Easy-Chef barbequeing later I filled it up for the first time last week and it took just over £8 of gas. Brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
  7. bartiny

bartiny

Does it matter who's system you have, gas usage is just that, it is the gas you have used, regardless of the system installed.
    Works the same with Gaslow etc.

PS, you can tell I have Gaslow :LOL: (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes, I noticed the gauge isn't very accurate but as I have another bottle in reserve I don't take any notice of it. My point is that it cost me £5.16 to fill a bottle that would have cost me £22 + from Calor.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Should have gone to Specsavers :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  10. maison

maison Funster

Do they fit Gaslow?:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Poohbear

Poohbear Funster

I would guess that based on your usage you won't save any money on Gas-it because it will take you a long time to get your money back? How much did the initial install cost, assuming you had it installed?

12. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Hi folks. I've just had a look at the Gaslow website at the prices and given myself a nose bleed..... SO .... my questions.

We hope to us the MH frequently during the winter months as well as summer and do not intend changing the MH in the next few years (min) . Using the heating, hot water, and cooking hob only how much would I have to use the MH to recoup the huge costs of installation of the Gaslow system with reduced gas costs as apposed to staying with my 2x large bottles already onboard. I know its a bit of a how long is a piece of string but £600+ is a lot of bottles of wine

13. Poohbear

Poohbear Funster

I can't believe that anyone (apart from full timers) installs Gaslow on a financial basis as £600 buys 180kg of Calor Gas (approx.) based on £20 to fill a 6kg bottle. I would guess that using gas for heating, hot water and cooking just for holidays and weekends away etc. 180kg of gas would last at least 5 years and maybe as much as 10 years.

14. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I used Gas It and didn't pay anything like that, much less. I bought an 11kg and a 6kg bottle, a regulator, associated pipe work, external fill kit, BBQ point and 3mtrs of copper pipe as I wanted the fill point and BBQ point on the near side and the gas locker is on the offside.

15. maison

maison Funster

OK, "fess up".:cool:

How much did your installation cost?

We are considering fitting refillable gas cylinders but have also been put off by the perceived cost.

16. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

The other plus point for me for going the Alugas route was that I had a 25 mile round trip each time to swap my Calor bottles. Now I fill up at a garage that I have to pass wherever I'm going in the van...

17. swidy

swidy Funster

its good to read all the comments because I've just fitted gasit 2x11kg bottles to my moho. I haven't filled them up yet, will probably do it next week. is there anything I should watch out for on my first fill up as I've never used the system before.

18. bartiny

bartiny

You are right but, what I did was, I kept my eye on Ebay and Gumtree, and ended up with a very cheap system (no point telling you how much as I could make anything up) they do come up now and again, and over the winter would be a good time to search.

It is worth the effort just for the convenience of topping up as and when you fill with fuel.

(y)

19. Speve

Speve Funster

We bought a twin 11KG Gasit system for our Exsis fitted it myself £340 didn't need an auto changeover valve as Hymer had already fitted a changeover valve with panel in van, works well.

20. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

[QUOTE="Poohbear, post: 1562917, member: 36424 How much did the initial install cost, assuming you had it installed?[/QUOTE]

I have to admit I haven't paid to have it fitted in any of the motorhomes it's been in. It was always done for free as part of the purchase deal.