LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just got back from an eighteen day break and filled up with LPG bearing in mind we only had three nights on EHU so fifteen nights on gas and two of them were cold so the heating was on, check out the receipt 42p ltr.
image.jpg

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We are just back from the Lake District in our new MH and I had the GasIt installed from the off.
We did 6 nights wild with no EHU where we cooked on both hob and oven, had the heating on regularly and ran the fridge off the gas at night and the gauge on the 11kg bottle has hardly moved!
Really impressed with the simplicity of the system just filling up the lpg when I fuel up with diesel and it's brilliant not having to lug heavy gas bottles around.
I paid £18 for 34 litres of lpg as was out in the sticks so 52p a litre but it much cheaper at the Tesco near where I live so over the time we have the van the GasIt will pay for itself with the added bonus I can transfer it to a new van in the future
I'd recommend the system to anyone

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
and the gauge on the 11kg bottle has hardly moved!

Sorry to disappoint but as much as I love GasIt and recommend them all the time as great VFM, they will admit themselves the magnetic style gauge far from reliable. they stay on full forever, then drop dramatically.....

4 hole bottles that have a mechanical float a bit more reliable. but if you have two bottles its hardly and issue and why i have the cheap GasIt bottles also:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry to disappoint but as much as I love GasIt and recommend them all the time as great VFM, they will admit themselves the magnetic syle gauge far from reliable. they stay on full forever, then drop dramatically.....

4 hole bottles that have a mechanical float a bit more reliable. but if you have two bottles its hardly and isue and why i have the cheap GasIt bottles also:D
Ah, I thought it seemed too good to be true!

We do have two bottles and a changeover valve so when it switches to the second bottle I'll fill up soon after

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Just got back from an eighteen day break and filled up with LPG bearing in mind we only had three nights on EHU so fifteen nights on gas and two of them were cold so the heating was on, check out the receipt 42p ltr.View attachment 76641
i read that as 120 litres of gas and was working out the diesel costs to Cheshire

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I read somewhere recently that the plastic gauge stays on full until the gas is half way down, then it fairly accurately reads how much is left of that half. Just remember if it says half full, its half of a half (a quarter) and then it makes sense.

I filled my 11kg Gas-It bottle two years ago and have since moved it to three other motorhomes. Cooking (lots), some heating (not much), some fridging and a fair bit of Easy-Chef barbequeing later I filled it up for the first time last week and it took just over £8 of gas. Brilliant!

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Does it matter who's system you have, gas usage is just that, it is the gas you have used, regardless of the system installed.
Works the same with Gaslow etc.

PS, you can tell I have Gaslow :LOL: (y)

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes, I noticed the gauge isn't very accurate but as I have another bottle in reserve I don't take any notice of it. My point is that it cost me £5.16 to fill a bottle that would have cost me £22 + from Calor.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
I read somewhere recently that the plastic gauge stays on full until the gas is half way down, then it fairly accurately reads how much is left of that half. Just remember if it says half full, its half of a half (a quarter) and then it makes sense.

I filled my 11kg Gas-It bottle two years ago and have since moved it to three other motorhomes. Cooking (lots), some heating (not much), some fridging and a fair bit of Easy-Chef barbequeing later I filled it up for the first time last week and it took just over £8 of gas. Brilliant!

I would guess that based on your usage you won't save any money on Gas-it because it will take you a long time to get your money back? How much did the initial install cost, assuming you had it installed?

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Hi folks. I've just had a look at the Gaslow website at the prices and given myself a nose bleed..... SO .... my questions.

We hope to us the MH frequently during the winter months as well as summer and do not intend changing the MH in the next few years (min) . Using the heating, hot water, and cooking hob only how much would I have to use the MH to recoup the huge costs of installation of the Gaslow system with reduced gas costs as apposed to staying with my 2x large bottles already onboard. I know its a bit of a how long is a piece of string but £600+ is a lot of bottles of wine

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
I can't believe that anyone (apart from full timers) installs Gaslow on a financial basis as £600 buys 180kg of Calor Gas (approx.) based on £20 to fill a 6kg bottle. I would guess that using gas for heating, hot water and cooking just for holidays and weekends away etc. 180kg of gas would last at least 5 years and maybe as much as 10 years.

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
but £600+ is a lot of bottles of wine
I used Gas It and didn't pay anything like that, much less. I bought an 11kg and a 6kg bottle, a regulator, associated pipe work, external fill kit, BBQ point and 3mtrs of copper pipe as I wanted the fill point and BBQ point on the near side and the gas locker is on the offside.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I used Gas It and didn't pay anything like that, much less. I bought an 11kg and a 6kg bottle, a regulator, associated pipe work, external fill kit, BBQ point and 3mtrs of copper pipe as I wanted the fill point and BBQ point on the near side and the gas locker is on the offside.
OK, "fess up".:cool:

How much did your installation cost?

We are considering fitting refillable gas cylinders but have also been put off by the perceived cost.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I can't believe that anyone (apart from full timers) installs Gaslow on a financial basis as £600 buys 180kg of Calor Gas (approx.) based on £20 to fill a 6kg bottle. I would guess that using gas for heating, hot water and cooking just for holidays and weekends away etc. 180kg of gas would last at least 5 years and maybe as much as 10 years.
The other plus point for me for going the Alugas route was that I had a 25 mile round trip each time to swap my Calor bottles. Now I fill up at a garage that I have to pass wherever I'm going in the van...

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
its good to read all the comments because I've just fitted gasit 2x11kg bottles to my moho. I haven't filled them up yet, will probably do it next week. is there anything I should watch out for on my first fill up as I've never used the system before.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008

You are right but, what I did was, I kept my eye on Ebay and Gumtree, and ended up with a very cheap system (no point telling you how much as I could make anything up) they do come up now and again, and over the winter would be a good time to search.

It is worth the effort just for the convenience of topping up as and when you fill with fuel.

(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We bought a twin 11KG Gasit system for our Exsis fitted it myself £340 didn't need an auto changeover valve as Hymer had already fitted a changeover valve with panel in van, works well.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
[QUOTE="Poohbear, post: 1562917, member: 36424 How much did the initial install cost, assuming you had it installed?[/QUOTE]

I have to admit I haven't paid to have it fitted in any of the motorhomes it's been in. It was always done for free as part of the purchase deal.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

its not only the cost saving but the convenience when travelling,,haven't humped an exchange bottle around for 10 years. Easy to fit yourself...

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
My 11kg and 6kg GasIt cost £350 fitted

Whilst it may take a while to recoup the initial outlay you can move the system from van to van so you get there in the end!

More than the money though is the ease of refill with no pratting about lugging bottles back and forth

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Pah you old wimmin:p I love slinging gas bottles about, keeps me fit
smiley-weighlifter.gif
don't like the price though:crying1:
Yeh what's Calor now used to be around £25 for a 6kg refill?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Gone down in price a bit since we used it

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

We are considering fitting refillable gas cylinders but have also been put off by the perceived cost.
Hmmm, just been looking for the receipt but failed, bout £410/420.
Plus as has been said, no lugging bottles around.

Arnica

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
Bolton le Sands Carnforth
Funster No
MH
Geist Touring 652 C Class
Exp
Nine years

Have just posted on classified two Gaslow bottle kit for sale - have a butchers and let me know what you think of the ask price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back