State of roads in France v UK

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Barclaybasher, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Just returned from trip to Barcelona via Millau Bridge on the way down and Bordeax on the way back. We used Peage and dual carriageways on the way down (mistake - boring and costly) and main roads from Bordeax - fantastic, quiet, relaxing, driving was a real pleasure. I had almost forgotten that I was driving a coachbuilt (hardly any rattles or bumps). Left Dover on the A20 on the way home via M25, M1 - thought my van had grown wooden wheels! Crash bang wallop, you could see the potholes and repairs - too late. In 2000 miles of French roads I could only admire the state of almost all of their roads - smoothe fresh looking tarmac, not a patchwork of repairs. Given the size of their country how can they afford to maintain their roads so well and we can't?

• Like Like x 1
  2. wasp

wasp Funster

It`s because they have different priorities than our so called government ministers:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:they got cheaper fuel no road tax so how do they fund it

3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I must agree, europe in general leaves the uk for dust of road quality. No ruts, no bumps and on concrete sections, you annot even feel the joins!

Uk is as bad as it is now because we are British.....we just carry on and get walked over, which is why we pay so much and get very little in our little isle.

The most heavily taxed? Or the Weaknest Nation?

• Like Like x 2
  4. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I too have admired the French road system, mostly very good and nearly always free of litter.

The traffic numbers on the road are low and its a delight to drive.. I have also seen French road works being undertaken in the rain.. :Doh:

I think the answer is simple enough, we are a nation are wasteful and enjoy spending taxpayers money on pointless wars, bureaucracy, expensive government and the silly idea that we are a 'leading nation'.

I for one love driving in France.

Note to Sundance, get your bleeding passport sorted.,..

• Like Like x 8
  5. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

I loved driving in France

As you say, good roads, no traffic and Normandy reminded me of that it was like her in the sixties. A few years ago we drove in the States, first up to Santa Barbara and then down to Palm Springs on roads which seemed to vary in quality. When I asked our american friend about this he explained that different sections were maintained by local authorities, even main highways, so it depended on who had money free that year to surface roads.

6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Like wise great place to drive

I always enjoy driving inFrance.

Bob

7. Steveboy

Steveboy Funster

French roads

big country. lots of roads. same population approx as uk. slightly less inclement weather. No brainer. There roads stay better through less use and not so much hammering by the weather.
    I drove through Brive la Gaillarde yesterday in search of gas. Urban road with heavy traffic. Rough as old boots and just like in the UK covered in badly covered over potholes.
    Overall though France is a delight to drive in and for me and my Rapido, the more minor the road the better.

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

France has a road total network of 1,000,960km
    length of road per capita = 16.27m

Britain has a total road network of 398,350km
    length of road per capita = 6.77m

So, they have a far bigger network with much lower traffic densities means less wear and tear..

The Autoroutes are mostly private and funded by tolls.. so plenty of cash for maintenance.

N roads are funded and maintained by central government.. so well maintained, D roads maintained by the Departments and are not nearly so well maintained.

The OP sample was too small to make a fair assessment of the whole French network.. From my experience not all roads in France are maintained to a high standard.. get onto the D roads and you find many are in a poor state.. rutted and potholed.. indeed, some are like farm tracks..

That's just my experience.. so let's here what someone who lives in France thinks..

9. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I found the same in Spain, lovely roads.
    Loads of EU money, ours that is :Eek!:

10. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

What I notice most about the roads is how comparatively clean France is.Driving on motorways in the UK is like driving along an open sewer the amount of garbage on the verges and the other roads are not much better.It makes me think why would anyone from the continent want to come here on holiday! It is like a breath of fresh air going to France or Germany.:Cool:

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You'll find Spain even better !

• Like Like x 1
  12. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Dave....."LITTER"... on the French roads..you say they are "nearly always free of litter.." that's because they pick it up!!!:Doh: they have people going along the road in teams picking up the litter and placing in bags...... then a truck comes along and removes the bags :Wink::Rofl1: SIMPLE.

Quote "I for one love driving in France".....:BigGrin::thumb::Wink:....Lovely.

Mel

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

France ans Spain great.

Belgian roads are awful though.

14. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Great country France, spend all that money on their roads, that they save
    by shipping their illegal immigrants to us, instead of dealing with the problem
    themselves. If they had to spend all that hard earned cash like we do on paying out
    to keep these people in a better standard of living than our own unfortunates,
    there would probably be a lot more bumps and humps in France too.

rant over!

regards
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  15. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

when you consider that we give the banking industry 61 billion pounds(money that we will never get back).money that we could have better spent on our roads, i think our roads aint to bad:Sad:

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Bumps in roads... blame illegals, ?

I'll add that to the list then ..

High unemployment.. blame illegals
    Housing shortage .. blame illegals
    High crime rate ....blame illegals
    NHS crisis... blame illegals
    Bad schools.. blame illegals

what would we do without them...

• Like Like x 2
  17. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

He cant.....The voices would know where to find him if he applied.

18. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Your own figures show that they have 600,000 kms more of road to maintain -- making it even more remarkable. Yes they are less used but they still have better roads, not just surface but level and flat . Yesterday I travelled 20 miles locally in my C4 Picasso, my head was lolling about as if I was on a roller coaster. I notice unevenn roads particularly as I have a neck problem.

I don't normally enjoy driving, but in France it was a real pleasure to enjoy the experience without constantly looking at the road surface to avoid potholes, sunken drains and manhole covers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Now there's a frightening thought - getting a passport to get into Pinky's head :Rofl1::Rofl1:

20. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Sorry Steve but that is our governments fault not the french government, everyone knows they can get money easily here without contributing where as in the rest of europe you have to contribute to their tax systems at least 2 years to get any form of income support and usually what you get does have a time limit on it so after 2 years if lucky you might get the likes of food vouchers for 12 weeks or similar - they dont dole out dosh willynilly like here unless things have changed

• Like Like x 1