State of roads in France v UK (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just returned from trip to Barcelona via Millau Bridge on the way down and Bordeax on the way back. We used Peage and dual carriageways on the way down (mistake - boring and costly) and main roads from Bordeax - fantastic, quiet, relaxing, driving was a real pleasure. I had almost forgotten that I was driving a coachbuilt (hardly any rattles or bumps). Left Dover on the A20 on the way home via M25, M1 - thought my van had grown wooden wheels! Crash bang wallop, you could see the potholes and repairs - too late. In 2000 miles of French roads I could only admire the state of almost all of their roads - smoothe fresh looking tarmac, not a patchwork of repairs. Given the size of their country how can they afford to maintain their roads so well and we can't?

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
It`s because they have different priorities than our so called government ministers:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:they got cheaper fuel no road tax so how do they fund it

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I must agree, europe in general leaves the uk for dust of road quality. No ruts, no bumps and on concrete sections, you annot even feel the joins!

Uk is as bad as it is now because we are British.....we just carry on and get walked over, which is why we pay so much and get very little in our little isle.

The most heavily taxed? Or the Weaknest Nation?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I too have admired the French road system, mostly very good and nearly always free of litter.

The traffic numbers on the road are low and its a delight to drive.. I have also seen French road works being undertaken in the rain.. :Doh:

I think the answer is simple enough, we are a nation are wasteful and enjoy spending taxpayers money on pointless wars, bureaucracy, expensive government and the silly idea that we are a 'leading nation'.

I for one love driving in France.

Note to Sundance, get your bleeding passport sorted.,..

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I loved driving in France

As you say, good roads, no traffic and Normandy reminded me of that it was like her in the sixties. A few years ago we drove in the States, first up to Santa Barbara and then down to Palm Springs on roads which seemed to vary in quality. When I asked our american friend about this he explained that different sections were maintained by local authorities, even main highways, so it depended on who had money free that year to surface roads.

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
French roads

big country. lots of roads. same population approx as uk. slightly less inclement weather. No brainer. There roads stay better through less use and not so much hammering by the weather.
I drove through Brive la Gaillarde yesterday in search of gas. Urban road with heavy traffic. Rough as old boots and just like in the UK covered in badly covered over potholes.
Overall though France is a delight to drive in and for me and my Rapido, the more minor the road the better.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
France has a road total network of 1,000,960km
length of road per capita = 16.27m

Britain has a total road network of 398,350km
length of road per capita = 6.77m

So, they have a far bigger network with much lower traffic densities means less wear and tear..

The Autoroutes are mostly private and funded by tolls.. so plenty of cash for maintenance.

N roads are funded and maintained by central government.. so well maintained, D roads maintained by the Departments and are not nearly so well maintained.

The OP sample was too small to make a fair assessment of the whole French network.. From my experience not all roads in France are maintained to a high standard.. get onto the D roads and you find many are in a poor state.. rutted and potholed.. indeed, some are like farm tracks..

That's just my experience.. so let's here what someone who lives in France thinks..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I found the same in Spain, lovely roads.
Loads of EU money, ours that is :whatthe:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
What I notice most about the roads is how comparatively clean France is.Driving on motorways in the UK is like driving along an open sewer the amount of garbage on the verges and the other roads are not much better.It makes me think why would anyone from the continent want to come here on holiday! It is like a breath of fresh air going to France or Germany.:Cool:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I too have admired the French road system, mostly very good and nearly always free of litter.

The traffic numbers on the road are low and its a delight to drive.. I have also seen French road works being undertaken in the rain.. :Doh:

I think the answer is simple enough, we are a nation are wasteful and enjoy spending taxpayers money on pointless wars, bureaucracy, expensive government and the silly idea that we are a 'leading nation'.

I for one love driving in France

Note to Sundance, get your bleeding passport sorted.,..

Dave....."LITTER"... on the French roads..you say they are "nearly always free of litter.." that's because they pick it up!!!:Doh: they have people going along the road in teams picking up the litter and placing in bags...... then a truck comes along and removes the bags :winky::ROFLMAO: SIMPLE.

Quote "I for one love driving in France".....::bigsmile::thumb::winky:....Lovely.

Mel

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
France ans Spain great.

Belgian roads are awful though.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Great country France, spend all that money on their roads, that they save
by shipping their illegal immigrants to us, instead of dealing with the problem
themselves. If they had to spend all that hard earned cash like we do on paying out
to keep these people in a better standard of living than our own unfortunates,
there would probably be a lot more bumps and humps in France too.

rant over!

regards
Steve

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
when you consider that we give the banking industry 61 billion pounds(money that we will never get back).money that we could have better spent on our roads, i think our roads aint to bad:Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
themselves. If they had to spend all that hard earned cash like we do on paying out

Bumps in roads... blame illegals, ?

I'll add that to the list then ..

High unemployment.. blame illegals
Housing shortage .. blame illegals
High crime rate ....blame illegals
NHS crisis... blame illegals
Bad schools.. blame illegals

what would we do without them...

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
France has a road total network of 1,000,960km
length of road per capita = 16.27m

Britain has a total road network of 398,350km
length of road per capita = 6.77m

So, they have a far bigger network with much lower traffic densities means less wear and tear..

The Autoroutes are mostly private and funded by tolls.. so plenty of cash for maintenance.

N roads are funded and maintained by central government.. so well maintained, D roads maintained by the Departments and are not nearly so well maintained.

The OP sample was too small to make a fair assessment of the whole French network.. From my experience not all roads in France are maintained to a high standard.. get onto the D roads and you find many are in a poor state.. rutted and potholed.. indeed, some are like farm tracks..

That's just my experience.. so let's here what someone who lives in France thinks..

Your own figures show that they have 600,000 kms more of road to maintain -- making it even more remarkable. Yes they are less used but they still have better roads, not just surface but level and flat . Yesterday I travelled 20 miles locally in my C4 Picasso, my head was lolling about as if I was on a roller coaster. I notice unevenn roads particularly as I have a neck problem.

I don't normally enjoy driving, but in France it was a real pleasure to enjoy the experience without constantly looking at the road surface to avoid potholes, sunken drains and manhole covers.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Great country France, spend all that money on their roads, that they save

rant over!

regards
Steve

Sorry Steve but that is our governments fault not the french government, everyone knows they can get money easily here without contributing where as in the rest of europe you have to contribute to their tax systems at least 2 years to get any form of income support and usually what you get does have a time limit on it so after 2 years if lucky you might get the likes of food vouchers for 12 weeks or similar - they dont dole out dosh willynilly like here unless things have changed

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Dave....."LITTER"... on the French roads..you say they are "nearly always free of litter.." that's because they pick it up!!!:Doh: they have people going along the road in teams picking up the litter and placing in bags...... then a truck comes along and removes the bags :winky::ROFLMAO: SIMPLE.

Quote "I for one love driving in France".....::bigsmile::thumb::winky:....Lovely.

Mel

Thats a job for all our tea leaves in prison instead of paying to keep them in luxury, make the buggers work :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back