Smell From Waste Water Tank

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by trevtherev, May 1, 2015.

1. trevtherev

trevtherev Read Only Funster

Any tips on keeping the waste water tank clean and not to pongy. I have improved things by keeping the plugs in but thought it would help by cleaning the pipes and tank but not sure on what to use.

• Like Like x 1
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

clean the traps under the sinks / shower first

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I had this problem, until late last year, when, after starting to use Bio washing machine liquid in the toilet cassette, (instead of blue or green stuff), I poured a cap full down the sink. Hey presto! No more smells!! (y)(y)

• Like Like x 3
  4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Pour a couple of bottles of cheap full fat (NOT diet) cola down the sinks (don't forget a bit down the shower drain as well), drive around for a while then drain it.

• Like Like x 4
  5. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

We find ours is OK unless we drive with a window open then I put some of the bio liquid we use in the loo down the plug hole.
    Wondered why there's a sticker in the cab saying don't drive with a window open.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

7. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

When dumping your grey tank, the suction can sometimes draw the water out of the sink trap, so just run the tap before moving off to reinstate the trap. (y)

• Like Like x 5
  8. trevtherev

trevtherev Read Only Funster

Mine does not appear to have any water traps under the sink, the MH is 10 years old so possibly was made that way. I will clean the system out using the advice given and use some bio washing liquid in the tank replacing the bungs.

9. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

I used to have the same problem until somebody (can't remember who) on here said that the worst culprit for kicking up a smell in the waste tank is milk, even the tiny amounts that go in there by way of tea and coffee dreggs.
    Based on that idea, not one drop of milk has gone into our waste tank for nearly two years, coupled with scraping dinner plates etc a bit more thoroughly, we have not encountered any smells whatsoever, not even in the heat of Spanish summertimes, and that's with no cleaners. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We had exactly the same problem with smelly waste pipes, and like you we don't have traps either.
    We found that the water in the black tank was 'stale' even after emptying.
    We eliminated the problem by properly cleaning the waste tank by diluting some Fenwicks wateupipe andtank cleaner in a bucket of VERY hot water and pouring down each of the sinks/showers (having first completely emptied that tank) - took the van for a ride to thoroughly agitate the mix in the tank, and emptied out.
    Ordinary kitchen soda cyrstals dissolved in hot water would do the trick if you didnt want to by watepipe cleaner.
    Our tank was so dirty and greasy that the level indicator had packed up working properly as it was caked in crap.

On a weekly basis we add a little neat watepipe cleaner, or soda crysals directly into the waste pipe.

This basically helps to dissolve any build up of grease / bacterior, which causes the smells.

Haven't had any problems since!!!!

Hope this helps

Regards
    Robert

• Like Like x 3
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The coca cola trick doesn't work in my experience if the tank is really pongy.

What works brilliantly are Dometic Power Care capsules which you can find if you do a bit of Googling. Be warned the blood will drain from your face when you see the price! But, they are so good you won't have to use them more often than about once every couple of weeks of continuous use.

To use them put a capsule in the sink and pour very hot water from a kettle over it. I would only do this in a stainless steel sink as it might stain anything plastic.

The capsules are meant for black waste holding tanks but they work very well in the grey.

Bio washing liquid also useful but if you want to really zap the tank the Dometic stuff is unbeatable. Shame about the price!

12. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Just a tip: if you are doing yer own dishes: wipe the fat off as much as poss. using kitchen towels,(even better idea! use paper plates)
    Also bought some stuff at Trago Mills (If it's there, it's in all Plumbing Merchants) that is used to clean the pipes/radiators etc in Oil Fired central heating, follow the instructions (yeh! Real Men don't do instructions HAH!) Drove around a bit, and! no smells! Result!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Watch what you put down the drain; we were staggered how gloopy pasta water was after cooking and how smelly it became even over night. It would probably coat the inside of the tank with gunk which will be an ideal breeding ground for smell producing bacteria etc.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brian Haslam

Brian Haslam Read Only Funster

Hi I`m a new-be to the club but have been Motor caravaning for many years and i was given a tip to put some cheep orange squash undiluted ( 1/2 pt ) down the drain and never had smelly tanks , all the best to all . Buzz.

15. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Caustic soda is the answer!
    Don't WASTE your time with anything else I tried all the others to no avail . On my new to me van the waste tank get blocking and being a newbee I didn't know what to do ,tried poking wire up ,pressure washer ,coke etc.
    My mum god bless her,couldn't believe I hadn't tried caustic soda,put a good half a mug full into a bucket of water and tip a some down every plug hole in your van then go for a good drive leave overnight then a quick drive and open the tap !
    As soon as you open the tap look away and hold your nose ,if it's anything like my van a gooey afterbirth like smelly mass will exit your tank followed by some fluid .Fill the tank and empty a couple of times to flush it and will be well !

Vlad

• Like Like x 2
  16. Larby

Larby Funster

Always had really smelly waste tank. Was embarrassed if someone waiting when emptying.
    Used 10 x 2 litre bottles of ALDI's diet coke at 17p per bottle. Down sink, washbasin and shower drains.
    Drove around and left it for a week before draining. Next time around grey water had no smell at all.
    COST £1.70 :clap2:

• Like Like x 1
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

This is how we prevent smells.

18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Smev 20mm double syphon. It has an integral water trap.

Google it, buy them and fit them.

No more smells.

Keep saying this, nobody seems to listen or they like wasting perfectly good coke by pouring it down the drain.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If you're going down the Cola route, Sainsbury's Basics Cola is only 10p a litre - I use it to clean up old brass and copper items by dunking them for a week in a large plastic container full of the evil stuff in my greenhouse. How anyone can inflict it on children is beyond me.

As for the MH - I just make sure all the plugholes are plugged, then the grey water tank can stink all it likes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

A lot of sinks I have seen ( including ours ) do not APPEAR to have a trap fitted, but in reality they are made as part of the actual plug fitting.
    In my opinion they are far too shallow to be effective.. I spend 3 quid on a mini bottle trap and fitted it..

A tip passed on to me by Scotties was to dump a couple of litres of fresh orang juice down the plug hole and leave that in while you drive around..
    previous to fitting the new trap it worked every time.. Would last a few months and then be redone..

Since the new trap has been fitted no smells at all

Also, as Tremybach points out, if you have a large amount of water in the tank and just open the valve full, it may well suck the trap(s) dry..

We always run a wee bit of water in to the sinks after a tank dump to compensate

• Like Like x 1