DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Killin's a nice little village. Don't know if you'll be using the Maragowan CC site - but if you are, and you want to leave the van there and just walk with your dog, you can go north on the road from the campsite, turn east past a couple of cottages then you have a fantastic walk by the River Lochay. Or, from the south side of the bridge at the Falls of Dochart, go up a little track opposite and you get a good long walk through the forest by the south bank of Loch Tay.

Is Killin where the green welly café is? Not stopped there yet but hear you can overnight for free

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Is Killin where the green welly café is? Not stopped there yet but hear you can overnight for free
That's Tyndrum just down the road.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Here
<Broken link removed>
<Broken link removed>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sounds like a great idea although, seems tiring with only one day with no driving. We like the list, might try day 9 to 15 ourselves in September.

You also have to ensure they have a MH with a nice big lounge, so that you can visit them. (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well August has rushed round, both in laws have survived and seem ridiculously excited at the forthcoming trip, so we are off on Saturday

I am actually secretly looking forward to it, may change my mind after a few nights, but the break from my mother will be useful, early dementia now confirmed, not good, but she has really good days which help, and make it worse all at the same time

So to our trip, we leave on Saturday, think it will take 16 nights to achieve what we have planned, but to make it more fun our eldest is due her first (our third grandchild) on the 12th September and has already been told it is big (over 7lb now) and will probably come early

So Bev says if needed she will fly back down, fine says I, but just how do you think I will drive 2 motorhomes round Scotland o_O

to be continued .........

Last edited:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Well August has rushed round, both in laws have survived and seem ridiculously excited at the forthcoming trip, so we are off on Saturday

I am actually secretly looking forward to it, may change my mind after a few nights, but the break from my mother will be useful, early dementia now confirmed, not good, but she has really good days which help, and make it worse all at the same time

So to our trip, we leave on Saturday, think it will take 16 nights to achieve what we have planned, but to make it more fun our eldest is due her first (our third grandchild) on the 12th September and has already been told it is big (over 7lb now) and will probably come early

So Bev says if needed she will fly back down, fine says I, but just how do you think I will drive 2 motorhomes round Scotland o_O

to be continued .........
have you taught that lovely dog how to drive yet:)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds like an adventure! Safe travels and lots of your beautiful photos please David!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
We are planning to head up in September, don't have a firm plan as yet but fancy doing a week in the Hebrides

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
We are planning a trip during September,i m thinking of a week in the Hebrides with a week getting there and back

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We are planning a trip during September,i m thinking of a week in the Hebrides with a week getting there and back

your problem will be coming away, even if the weather is only half decent it will take some dragging you back to the mainland, you will convince yourself you can get home is much shorter time than you take to get up just to max out the stay :)

might see you up there (y) although we are back pretty early in September

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
your problem will be coming away, even if the weather is only half decent it will take some dragging you back to the mainland, you will convince yourself you can get home is much shorter time than you take to get up just to max out the stay :)

might see you up there (y) although we are back pretty early in September
I'll be working out a route but as it will be kes,s first visit to Scotland,im probably going to head up to Glasgow then up to ballahulish I might detour to malaig head over to Skye up through Skye and then on to the Uists

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@laird of Dunstan my preferred route to the Western Isles is now via Uig on Skye, a lot quicker and quite a bit cheaper than Ullapool and much, much quicker / cheaper than via Oban.

Hope we both catch the weather right

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
@laird of Dunstan my preferred route to the Western Isles is now via Uig on Skye, a lot quicker and quite a bit cheaper than Ullapool and much, much quicker / cheaper than via Oban.

Hope we both catch the weather right

Yes @DavidG58 heres hoping for the weather,its an unbeatable part of the world when the sun shines, even when its raining it has a rare beauty , i get annoyed with myself when i regret not buying my aunts cottage for £7500.00,it was an old crofters place in Arran

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We now have a pair of motorhomes on the drive, getting ready for the off, in laws as giddy as a couple of teenagers packing their stuff in our borrowed MH, sat in the front looking down the drive, looked as pleased with themselves as my nearly 2 year old grandson does when sat in the same seat :)

just sorting our last things, planned leave at 10, so should be on the move for 12 (y)

only 'plan' for today is to end up in Jedburgh, hopefully long before it goes dark, now also hopefully before the local river bursts its banks o_O my hope is the weather will not be as bad as we just watched on BBC news, usually things are very different form their predictions :) it already looks better than it did yesterday

Today is my gorgeous wifes Birthday, so a nice lunch somewhere en route is scheduled although not booked, probably the pub at Piercebridge as we start the cross country A68 part of the journey, a lovely road on a nice day, not bad on a mixed day, hopefully will still be OK and appreciated in the middle of storm whatever
its called this afternoon :(

Lola has been promised a holiday shower before we leave, just off to encourage her to the bathroom, she always seem to know before she gets half way up the stairs

Updates on trip to follow

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Enjoy your trip
Hope the weather holds for you

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Have a great time and happy birthday to Bev. Keep the updates coming (if you have time with that itinerary!)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have a great time and I hope the in laws love Scotland, Wish Bev a happy birthday.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have a wonderful trip and hope to see lots of
happy smiley people ,
lovely views
stupendous foodie photos!!
and guess the price!!
@Robert Clark isn't doing it this trip ( bah humbug)so I will live vicariously through yours!!)
Thanking you in anticipation!!
Safe travels and enjoy!:LOL:

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Enjoy your trip, looking forward to updates, fingers crossed everything works and nothing falls off(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Enjoy your trip, looking forward to updates, fingers crossed everything works and nothing falls off(y)

just had the weirdest sensation, ran upstairs to get something I had forgotten, glanced out of bedroom window at roof of MH on drive and thought the dome had blown off our satellite, only took a few seconds of panic but then realised it was a fold down on the borrowed MH :LOL:o_O

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
just had the weirdest sensation, ran upstairs to get something I had forgotten, glanced out of bedroom window at roof of MH on drive and thought the dome had blown off our satellite, only took a few seconds of panic but then realised it was a fold down on the borrowed MH :LOL:o_O
Running is a weird sensation!!

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Of course you are travelling in convoy so 2 vans to care for, what can go wrong? Hopefully nothing, a trouble free trip that is your goal.:D

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I think it's a really nice thing to do for Bev's Mother & Father, have a great time, we will look forward to your photos and story's with anticipation. (y)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Enjoy your trip David, lots of photos please...inc a moon or 2?:whistle:

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders