Scotland in 14 nights

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by DavidG58, Apr 5, 2016.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

My in laws love the idea of motor homing but have enjoyed foreign holidays for too long, now cant afford one and are too old to hire one

We keep telling them how much they have missed what is so close to home, we really love Scotland, they now say 'we wish we had seen what you have'

So, we set out to plan a 14 night trip doing as much of Scotland as we could to show them what they have missed, thought it would be easy, but we now know we need more nights, but don't have them

It will be real whistle stop, but this is the route, as of few minutes ago, changing every time Bev looks at it :), we have decided to get to the top and islands for maximum effect and they can more easily get back to the lower bits

Day 1 leave home (Chesterfield) stop over borders area, free welcome to use town centres, probably Jedburgh first night, meal in local hotel

Day 2 Drive up to Findhorn valley, a beautiful place all nature lovers should try, leave A9 at Tomatin, head west up river, park up close to road end and enjoy

009.JPG 014.JPG

those 2 days are the high milers, but still a lot of ground to cover

Day 3 drive back to Grantown on Spey CC site, best shower block in the UK, in laws not really used to camping, will be confused when water stops coming out of the taps!! o_O, empty and refill everything

Day 4 Inverness for food shopping, then Chanonry point, another must do, arriving just after low tide to catch dolphins fishing, also lunchtime for fish and chips from Fortrose :), then overnight at Falls of Shin, good chance of seeing salmon jumping, beautiful location, but really dead quiet and dark, might scare MIL

Day 4 drive to Durness via Altnaharra, possible stop there (midge dependent) probably drive on to Durness, must be better in August than January (y)

IMG_0102.JPG

Day 5, drive down towards Ullapool, stop at Ardmair site a few miles north, right on side of loch / sea

Day 6, drive to Poolewe CCC site near NT gardens,

Day 7, to Skye, via Torridon hills (had to miss out Applecross not enough days), stop at Sligachan site with hotel opposite

Day 8, ferry to Harris, overnight near Golden Eagle observatory

Day 9, drive to Lewis via the Butt of Lewis to a nice looking site (not been before)
    http://www.eileanfraoich.co.uk/
    looks good, stopping for an extra night, bit of recovery and the western isles shut on Sundays

Day 11, drive down to Harris, chose from one of these
    http://www.westharristrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Map-of-West-Harris.jpg
    :):)

Day 12 ferry to Uists, drive down to site used before at bottom of South Uist, Kilbride

Day 13 ferry back to Skye, stay at
    http://www.portreecampsite.co.uk/

Day 14, should be home now but, on to Mallaig from Skye by ferry, Fort William then Conan ferry to overnight at Lochaline for ferry to Mull in morning, (saw our first ever otter here outside the pub)

Day 15, really running low on days now, do Tobermory, drive across Mull, then ferry back to Oban, stop at CC site North Ledaig, amazing site by walking down the back of the airfield, sea going into loch Etive at Connel bridge, has a waterfall (rapids) in and out in opposite directions according to the tide, weird sight

Day 16, drive up Glen Coe, back over to Edinburgh area, not sure where to stay yet?

Day 17 three days late, but bear in mind I have now had in laws for over 2 weeks, head home

So many more places we could have gone to, and we really should be doing 2 nights at every stop at least, but they say they will take themselves back up sometime, bizarrely looking forward to it really(y)

I will give you the 'real event' as it develops in August :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 19
  2. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Sounds great David have you got a pup tent for the outlaws !

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

think we have got that covered, hopefully going round in 2 motorhomes, Bev driving one, me the other (y), at least they can run out of their own water :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. lorger

lorger Funster

sounds great if a little rushed, I am heading up to do the NC500 this July with my dad and will be taking it easy over the 14 days. We do have an advantage of living in Scotland so not as long to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Sorry, I'm a bit too pi**ed to read all of this but it seems that you are only suggesting one day on Skye. IMHO, you would need at least 7 days to do Skye any justice, maybe more. Is the plan for your PIL to drive themselves silly or to enjoy themselves?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

totally agree with the rush bit, but the in laws can drag me down pretty fast :):)

I hope to do most of the NC500 in May, cant be bothered with the north east bit though, prefer Tongue to Dornoch via Lairg, much prettier

I / we really love Scotland, including 'your' bit, Dumfries and Galloway much overlooked, we have spent many a week in a caravan at the CL Newton Farm, Gatehouse of Fleet, also under rated is Aberdeenshire, very impressed with how much sand the coast line has there, but for me you cant beat mountains, better still mountains coming down to sandy beaches (Harris) (y)

• Like Like x 5
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

tough one, they are early 80's and probably will not do it again, Bev has to work so 17 nights is the limit, we either miss a load off or do a load in a rush, tough balance.

But IMO Skye is over rated, great route to get a ferry to the western isles, pretty place definitely, but midge heaven in summer

• Like Like x 2
  8. lorger

lorger Funster

your spot on about the mountains and beaches, we toured the Outer Hebrides a few years back and loved it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

You may be right. We've not been there in the summer but we've spent 2 weeks there and 2 weeks in Mull and not been bored over Easters. I would guess that Harris would also cope with a week or so as a destination. Your trip does sound a little bit little hectic though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

Wow sounds great fun....(y)

Parents will need a holiday abroad to relax after that....:LOL::ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 2
  11. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Sounds great, you've probably seen more of Scotland than I have. We've been to Ledaig with a caravan but hope to visit with camper in a couple of weeks. Granton on Spey on list this year as well as Skye.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

You seem to be going for mostly 'views' which is fine; but you might want to vary your trip with some 'things' to see, such as Culloden battlefield or Newtonmore folk museum, both of which have good parking and cafes and depending on levels of fitness you can see a little or a lot as both also are 'on the flat'.

• Like Like x 2
  13. big bertha

big bertha Funster

How about visiting The Highland Wildlife Park to see the Polar Bear sweethearts and Wolverine cubs but not sure about parking.

• Like Like x 1
  14. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

David

Jen thinks you are trying to finish them off, she reminded me that when I drove her Mum and Dad down to Plymouth for a couple of days and then back to Birmingham, her Dad took to his bed for a day when we got home as instead of sitting back and being driven he tried to stay awake and concentrate so consequently he was more stressed than I was.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  15. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Ha! took 2 buses and a long walk to get there from Loch Morlich, thinking it was a sort of RSPB-type reserve for Highland Wildlife - not a wildlife-of-the-world park in the highlands! Couldn't understand why there were camels and zebras in the same enclosure. Didn't go in. (In any case, you couldn't get in without a car!)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. big bertha

big bertha Funster

It was years ago when we went as we had sponsored the wolves for my daughter and she wanted to see her name on enclosure. We stayed in a log cabin in Kincraig next to park could hear the wolves howling at night but can't remember if we walked or drove.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

What a lovely thing to do for them, just a thought but they are older and properly a lot nearer our age :rolleyes: With so much packed in could it be a bit hectic, maybe a slightly slower pace, they will need the loo more than you, they will maybe eat at different times and I would think slower at getting around than you so build a bit of lea way into the schedule, I know Eddie and I can't do what we did 10 years ago and we are used to it.:)

• Like Like x 4
  18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

You are all right with the references to the hectic sound of it all, but it is not as bad as it sounds, have given some thought to daytime stop offs, only listed the sleeping places so far

Once we get the high miles of the first 2 days out of the way it is only about 100 - 150 miles a day, albeit on some small roads, but hopefully 4 hours driving, similar to stop and look at things as felt wanted on the days

We do all like 'views' and walks and thankfully they are both reasonably fit still :)

I suspect (fear) we will see a few too many touristy places and coffee shops for my liking and my wallet :)

• Like Like x 4
  19. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

David, I thought I had seen a lot of Scotland but your travels seem to put me to shame.
    Hopefuully going to rectify this in June so will be picking your brain at Falkirk. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

We "did" Scotland in 2 weeks when we were in our 20s and even at that age we felt it was just too much driving around (we had no choice we were with my sister & brother in law and he was driving). Certainly don't think I'd want to do it in my 80s!

Denise

• Like Like x 2