Road mending - a job for life?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Barclaybasher, May 23, 2014.

1. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

How is it that freshly repaired potholes or re-fitted manhole covers sink so quickly?

100 years of tarmac and we still can’t do better repairs?

Can manhole covers be better designed ?

Is there any incentive to ‘do the job properly’ ?

Think about it - you repair a pothole or refit a manhole - if you do a permanent fix, work will slowly dry up. Do a ‘reasonable ‘ job and a year or two later you get paid for going back and fixing it again, a few years later…………….

The taxpayer keeps paying for the repairs and the disruption (cost) caused by the continual roadworks

What about guarantees ? - make the repairers fix shoddy work for free !

• Like Like x 1
  2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Around here, the water board dig up the road and do whatever, fill it in, so the gas men can come the following week to dig it up again to do whatever, fill it in so that the electricity men can come the following week to dig it up and do whtever,fill it in and then watch it sink within a matter of months..:Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Councils do that wherever possible but they aren't always aware of who causes the problem (unless somebody tells them) because so many of the utility companies dig holes. When a neighbour of ours reported a problem a year or two ago he and I made a point of speaking to the inspector to say who had done the initial work.

More of a problem is damage to kerb stones and flags on pavements which is down to residents parking cars on the pavement and (here anyway) parents driving onto pavements to drop off and pick up their kids at the local school.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

About a year ago they "did" our lane. Wet cold day, quick squirt of tar, dump as load of chips and f**k off. Took a whole hour. Never swept up the excess. It was lethal.

A year on it's worse than it was, some stuck to the good bits but the holes full of water did not so the holes are deeper. The only good news is all the rain washed the chips into the drains.

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I told them about the rubbish job to our lane. I told them of serious put holes on the main road.

Nothing. Zilch. Not interested.

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Keep at them Brian :BigGrin:

A few years ago our road was full of pot holes and fixing of repairs as mentioned before but people kept on at the council and it was completely resurfaced to a very high standard. Being Middlesbrough council I was most surprised :BigGrin: We don't even have a councillor living on the road :Laughing:

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

[​IMG]
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGk4AKOwJbc"]Bernard Cribbins "Hole in the Ground" - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  8. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

They could be made with a non skid surface to help us motorcyclists.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Poor quality workmanship. about 30 years ago I was involved with a project whereby all utility companies would dial a central number and ether bring forward or defer any proposed works,so that there would only be I dig and back fill. The project wasn't fully completed due to the inertia of various bodies.

10. movan

:Smile: At least they know what they are doing/ not doing wrong then...:BigGrin:

11. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Last year part of Derby's inner ring road had major resurfacing, lasted months.

Looked like a 'proper job', only had 2 manholes - both sank about 6 inches in just a few months - left like that for weeks. Bad enough to damage cars - really dangerous for two wheelers.

They don't seem to know how to 'set' manhole covers that don't sink.

12. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Road moans

A while ago when we went thro the Netherlands enroute to Germany for Poland, we couldn't believe how smooth the roads were, you would see a repair by the change of colour, but you never felt a ripple.

Different story when we hit East Germany (much improved lately) and Poland(think they are spending our money on their infrastructure too).

Ever since I've been accosting our roadmen and suggesting they go over to Holland for some lessons, alas falls on deaf ears.

Now you lot will tell me that Hollands roads are as bad as ours now.

13. movan

Phew... I'm glad I didn't say that.....:Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 4
  14. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Hmmm, maybe I was a bit unfortunate with my choice of words. I didn't want to use my everyday vocabulary as it generally is a bit blue for delicate ears. (ex Royal Marine definitely not attracted to the "jolly" brigade) :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

The A1 near us had a half mile stretch re-surfaced totally 6 or so months ago.. :Smile:

Driving down it yesterday I could see the wear patches where it is starting to break up already... :cry:

Almost all are on the exact areas that had broken up before the repair... :shout:

Perhaps that is something UKIP should have in their manifesto, national road repair as a priority, they'd win by a landslide... :thumb:

16. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Give them something to fill the potholes with:Smile:.................

(groan - sorry)

• Like Like x 2
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

One of the problems in general is that some of the companies involved in these big schemes haven't a clue about what they are doing. The A19 near us was widened several years ago by Amey and there are stretches which flood very easily for two reasons - low lying with inadequate drainage to cope with run off from the higher ground to the side plus a lack of camber to drain water to the road side.

18. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

My OP was asking why companies that don't mend/build roads properly aren't made to go back and fix them for free - they might eventually learn that it pays to do it right first time.
    :Doh:

Like I said - a never ending (well paid) job for life:Angry:

19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Point of Order Gentlemen. Please refrain from the sexist term ''manhole'' I suggest you substitute 'maintenance hole'' Don't want to be upsetting them indoors... Thank you. :Laughing:

• Like Like x 5
  20. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Oh dear I think the thread has sunk to whole new level:Wink:...............

• Like Like x 1