Road mending - a job for life? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
How is it that freshly repaired potholes or re-fitted manhole covers sink so quickly?

100 years of tarmac and we still can’t do better repairs?

Can manhole covers be better designed ?

Is there any incentive to ‘do the job properly’ ?

Think about it - you repair a pothole or refit a manhole - if you do a permanent fix, work will slowly dry up. Do a ‘reasonable ‘ job and a year or two later you get paid for going back and fixing it again, a few years later…………….

The taxpayer keeps paying for the repairs and the disruption (cost) caused by the continual roadworks

What about guarantees ? - make the repairers fix shoddy work for free !

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Around here, the water board dig up the road and do whatever, fill it in, so the gas men can come the following week to dig it up again to do whatever, fill it in so that the electricity men can come the following week to dig it up and do whtever,fill it in and then watch it sink within a matter of months..:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How is it that freshly repaired potholes or re-fitted manhole covers sink so quickly?

100 years of tarmac and we still can’t do better repairs?

Can manhole covers be better designed ?

Is there any incentive to ‘do the job properly’ ?

Think about it - you repair a pothole or refit a manhole - if you do a permanent fix, work will slowly dry up. Do a ‘reasonable ‘ job and a year or two later you get paid for going back and fixing it again, a few years later…………….

The taxpayer keeps paying for the repairs and the disruption (cost) caused by the continual roadworks

[HI]What about guarantees ? - make the repairers fix shoddy work for free [/HI]!
Councils do that wherever possible but they aren't always aware of who causes the problem (unless somebody tells them) because so many of the utility companies dig holes. When a neighbour of ours reported a problem a year or two ago he and I made a point of speaking to the inspector to say who had done the initial work.

More of a problem is damage to kerb stones and flags on pavements which is down to residents parking cars on the pavement and (here anyway) parents driving onto pavements to drop off and pick up their kids at the local school.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What about guarantees ? - make the repairers fix shoddy work for free !

About a year ago they "did" our lane. Wet cold day, quick squirt of tar, dump as load of chips and f**k off. Took a whole hour. Never swept up the excess. It was lethal.

A year on it's worse than it was, some stuck to the good bits but the holes full of water did not so the holes are deeper. The only good news is all the rain washed the chips into the drains.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I told them about the rubbish job to our lane. I told them of serious put holes on the main road.

Nothing. Zilch. Not interested.

Keep at them Brian ::bigsmile:

A few years ago our road was full of pot holes and fixing of repairs as mentioned before but people kept on at the council and it was completely resurfaced to a very high standard. Being Middlesbrough council I was most surprised ::bigsmile: We don't even have a councillor living on the road :roflmto:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
watch

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGk4AKOwJbc"]Bernard Cribbins "Hole in the Ground" - YouTube[/ame]

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Poor quality workmanship. about 30 years ago I was involved with a project whereby all utility companies would dial a central number and ether bring forward or defer any proposed works,so that there would only be I dig and back fill. The project wasn't fully completed due to the inertia of various bodies.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I told them about the rubbish job to our lane. I told them of serious put holes on the main road.

Last year part of Derby's inner ring road had major resurfacing, lasted months.

Looked like a 'proper job', only had 2 manholes - both sank about 6 inches in just a few months - left like that for weeks. Bad enough to damage cars - really dangerous for two wheelers.

They don't seem to know how to 'set' manhole covers that don't sink.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Road moans

A while ago when we went thro the Netherlands enroute to Germany for Poland, we couldn't believe how smooth the roads were, you would see a repair by the change of colour, but you never felt a ripple.

Different story when we hit East Germany (much improved lately) and Poland(think they are spending our money on their infrastructure too).

Ever since I've been accosting our roadmen and suggesting they go over to Holland for some lessons, alas falls on deaf ears.

Now you lot will tell me that Hollands roads are as bad as ours now.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
A while ago when we went thro the Netherlands enroute to Germany for Poland, we couldn't believe how smooth the roads were, you would see a repair by the change of colour, but you never felt a ripple.

Different story when we hit East Germany (much improved lately) and Poland(think they are spending our money on their infrastructure too).

[HI]Ever since I've been accosting our roadmen[/HI] and suggesting they go over to Holland for some lessons, alas falls on deaf ears.

Now you lot will tell me that Hollands roads are as bad as ours now.

Phew... I'm glad I didn't say that.....:Eeek::Eeek:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Hmmm, maybe I was a bit unfortunate with my choice of words. I didn't want to use my everyday vocabulary as it generally is a bit blue for delicate ears. (ex Royal Marine definitely not attracted to the "jolly" brigade) ::bigsmile:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
The A1 near us had a half mile stretch re-surfaced totally 6 or so months ago.. :Smile:

Driving down it yesterday I could see the wear patches where it is starting to break up already... :cry:

Almost all are on the exact areas that had broken up before the repair... :shout:

Perhaps that is something UKIP should have in their manifesto, national road repair as a priority, they'd win by a landslide... :thumb:

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
The A1 near us had a half mile stretch re-surfaced totally 6 or so months ago.. :Smile:
Driving down it yesterday I could see the wear patches where it is starting to break up already... :cry:
Almost all are on the exact areas that had broken up before the repair... :shout:
Perhaps that is something UKIP should have in their manifesto, national road repair as a priority, they'd win by a[HI] landslide...[/HI] :thumb:

Give them something to fill the potholes with:Smile:.................

(groan - sorry)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One of the problems in general is that some of the companies involved in these big schemes haven't a clue about what they are doing. The A19 near us was widened several years ago by Amey and there are stretches which flood very easily for two reasons - low lying with inadequate drainage to cope with run off from the higher ground to the side plus a lack of camber to drain water to the road side.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
One of the problems in general is that some of the companies involved in these big schemes haven't a clue about what they are doing. The A19 near us was widened several years ago by Amey and there are stretches which flood very easily for two reasons - low lying with inadequate drainage to cope with run off from the higher ground to the side plus a lack of camber to drain water to the road side.

My OP was asking why companies that don't mend/build roads properly aren't made to go back and fix them for free - they might eventually learn that it pays to do it right first time.
:Doh:

Like I said - a never ending (well paid) job for life:Angry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Point of Order Gentlemen. Please refrain from the sexist term ''manhole'' I suggest you substitute 'maintenance hole'' Don't want to be upsetting them indoors... Thank you. :roflmto:

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Point of Order Gentlemen. Please refrain from the sexist term ''manhole'' I suggest you substitute 'maintenance hole'' Don't want to be upsetting them indoors... Thank you. :roflmto:

Oh dear I think the thread has sunk to whole new level:winky:...............

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I haven often wondered why round a bouts do not have a concrete surface and not Tarmac. When trucks with 3 axel trailers go around them particularly the smaller roundabouts you can see the front and rear tyre tearing at the road surface. Also the joint/band where the Tarmac strips are joined always seems to be where these trailer wheels go, so tearing at the weakest point. Must be a funster with more knowledge then me to know why.:Smile:

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
I haven often wondered why round a bouts do not have a concrete surface and not Tarmac. When trucks with 3 axel trailers go around them particularly the smaller roundabouts you can see the front and rear tyre tearing at the road surface. Also the joint/band where the Tarmac strips are joined always seems to be where these trailer wheels go, so tearing at the weakest point. Must be a funster with more knowledge then me to know why.:Smile:

Quite simple really..... a conspiracy between the truck drivers' union and the tarmac spreading contractors. After all, someone has to deliver the tarmac every so many years! :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

My OP was asking why companies that don't mend/build roads properly aren't made to go back and fix them for free - they might eventually learn that it pays to do it right first time.
:Doh:

Like I said - a never ending (well paid) job for life:Angry:

Yes, I responded specifically to that point earlier. It does really depend on we, the general public, keeping councils informed of who is responsible. In the case of the A19 I don't think any remedial work has been done :Sad:

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yes, I responded specifically to that point earlier. It does really depend on we, the general public,[HI] keeping councils informed of who is responsible.[/HI] In the case of the A19 I don't think any remedial work has been done :Sad:

How do we find out ?

Is it the Borough Council ?, County Council ?.........

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How do we find out ?

Is it the Borough Council ?, County Council ?.........
From Wikipedia:
In England, Scotland and Wales, the highway authorities for trunk roads and trunk motorways are the Highways Agency, Transport Scotland and the Welsh Assembly respectively.

For all other roads and public rights of way, the Highway Authority is usually the county council or unitary authority for a particular area. District councils may carry out some of the functions of a highway authority, but these are usually delegated to them by their county council.
If you ring up the wrong one they will soon put you right ::bigsmile:

Contact details for reporting problems are normally on the web sites of the councils responsible. For example:
http://www.derby.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/roads-highways-pavements/roads-maintenance/
Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Keep at them Brian ::bigsmile:

A few years ago our road was full of pot holes and fixing of repairs as mentioned before but people kept on at the council and it was completely resurfaced to a very high standard. Being Middlesbrough council I was most surprised ::bigsmile: We don't even have a councillor living on the road :roflmto:

our single track lane get so bad taxi's refused to come to our house.

reported to council and highways.

one day shortly after, a full crew complete with tarmac layer (not just tar and chippings but proper tarmac) and ride-on road rollers came and set about re-covering it.

they did the job in one day, filling in the potholes and laying around 2" of fresh tarmac over the remains of the road.

still as new after 5 years but there isnt much passing traffic....only us and one neighbour live up here.

if you can time the reporting right the council need to spend the remains of their budget before the end of the financial year so they do the job properly which costs money.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
our single track lane get so bad taxi's refused to come to our house.

reported to council and highways.

one day shortly after, a full crew complete with tarmac layer (not just tar and chippings but proper tarmac) and ride-on road rollers came and set about re-covering it.

they did the job in one day, filling in the potholes and laying around 2" of fresh tarmac over the remains of the road.

still as new after 5 years but there isnt much passing traffic....only us and one neighbour live up here.

if you can time the reporting right the council need to spend the remains of their budget before the end of the financial year so they do the job properly which costs money.

Nice one John - but what excuse do taxis use to avoid you now? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nice one John - but what excuse do taxis use to avoid you now? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

funny you should ask Graham.

called one recently and saw his headlamps disappear up the lane.
10 mins later he had reversed back down to where i stood waiting....nowhere to turn up there

sorry, he said, missed your house. :Doh:

he missed us AND the neighbours and carried on until he got to the locked field gate.

turns out he was a new driver and didnt have a clue where he was going. :roflmto:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hah! You jokers are taking the hard way, ACTUALLY repairing the holes in the roads:Doh:

Silly Billys you are!:ROFLMAO:

Do what the Cornwall Utilithingee Council does, they place a warning sign saying "uneven surface"

If you ruin your suspension? Tuff titty kitty!:Doh: They DID warn you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back