Recall by Swift of habitation doors

Discussion in 'Bessacarr' started by Bessa, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Bessa

Bessa Read Only Funster

Has anyone had a recall by swift of their habitation door. Just heard about this today, and not sure if it is last year 2009 models.

2. blackie

blackie Read Only Funster

bessy doors

my van is 2007 and it was recalled.it is just for gas strut on door. Blackie

3. Jack the Rev

Jack the Rev Read Only Funster

Yes my van a 2007 model has had a recall. The problem is I've sold it.

Jack the Rev

4. C.L.S

C.L.S Trader - Service & Repairs

It only applies to models fitted with a Euramax door.

Mark

5. PFS600

PFS600 Read Only Funster

Swift recall

I have a 2008 Bessacarr, the recall applies to this as well, i spoke to Swift and what they do is remove the gas strut and fix a plastic catch to the side of the van to hold the door open, so you will now get a door that opens completly flat against the side of your van and nothing to stop the wind catching it when you open it, a step backwards i think, i would have thought that for the money that these vans cost a better fix would be available, not sure if i will bother having mine done, but not sure about how it would affect my remaining warranty, perhaps Mark from Central Leisure could shine some more light on this for me

6. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

The word Swift and Recall don't make sense. My door is every shape under the sun but my dealer has said Swift have gone deaf (surprise).
    My friend has just had his third Euromax door fitted and hopes it may last more than 3 months. Swift had to be really threatened to act, some recall.
    It will be interesting to see the outcome, but a Motorhome manufacturer caring for customers, that's refreshing. You never know it may rub off to the others, eventually.
    Wiljoy

7. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

I note that a reply mentions a clip fitted to the bodywork holding the door fully open - what about the window that the door would open against?
    Surely a rather large protuding clip, surely not. :Eek!:

8. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

We have had the door support clip fitted a while back, so far all seems well. That is on a Bolero FB 2008.....no probs with the window :thumb:

We feel a lot better than the door swinging in the wind:thumb:

9. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

Sorry should have said I was thinking of the Bessacarr 560, not really up to speed on other variants.

10. RichardnGill

RichardnGill Read Only Funster

We have had the letter as well, but I am worried about the window on ours as well.

Rich...

11. dave jm

dave jm Read Only Funster

I had a letter a few days ago...got straight onto my nearest dealership and was told Swift's comunication has just come through to them,they now have to order the parts which can take weeks and will only be doing thse recalls on a Friday afternoon starting from the end of April...Come on Swift get in gear...I've asked head office a couple of times re my hab. door not fitting properly at the bottom now they want to screw a plastic door stop on it:Doh:...I don't think so.....Dave

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i got a recall on my 6 year old Hilux......faulty wiper RUBBERS !!!!!

how long do they think they last for god sake :Doh:

13. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Rich

I believe you have the newer door which does not have the problem...............I think:thumb:

14. Lincolnshire Rover

Lincolnshire Rover Read Only Funster

I have a Swift Ace Airstream 680FB and am wondering if it would be included in the door fix recall I have been holding the door open with a bungee to stop the wind banging it shut so as not to damage the fly screen :cry:

15. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I truly believe that Swift do not have any form of quality control or at least not that any vehicle manufacturer would recognize.

Also that the majority of their labour is semi skilled personal, Oh yes the will have a few time served craftsman so that they can claim other wise

This judgement is based on a lifetime's work in the engineering industry, from an 6 year apprenticeship in Heavy lifting gear, diesel/hydraulic/electric then onto 12 years in the merchant navy as an engineer finishing in the aircraft industry manufacturing and maintaining aircraft.

And spending the last 4 years more or less full timing in one of their (Swift) products, a Swift suntor 630g.

Doug...

16. bailey

bailey

My Bessacarr goes to the dealer next week to have this done to the door my concern is when opened it will cover part of the window and also the electrical skt will stop the door from going fully back

Bill

17. RichardnGill

RichardnGill Read Only Funster

Steve we got the letter last week from Swift and I am sure our van has the Euro max door.

I am still sure if they take the current door stay of and put on on the van it will hit the window even if it is only open a little bit?

It is going into the get some other work done soon so I will ask then

Rich...

18. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Hi Bill

The skirt or window is safe as the door does not go back that far, I would show you a picture but van is in storage. Maybe someone is able to post one?

Rich

Jan rang them as we got a letter as well (letter now in bin so do not know what it say's) she was asked if we still had the strut or not. As we have not got the strut anymore then we are ok. Give them a ring as they may need to order something and they will have it ready.

Steve

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  19. bailey

bailey

Thanks for that Rich also what seems to be the problem with this door as i see in other posts that they are getting replaced

Bill

20. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Bill :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Rich will thank you for the thanks, he did not give advice though. Re-read and you will see a reply to you and a reply to him :thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Steve