Recall by Swift of habitation doors (1 Viewer)

Bessa

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Funster No
Has anyone had a recall by swift of their habitation door. Just heard about this today, and not sure if it is last year 2009 models.

blackie

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
N IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C/CLASS
Exp
10 YEARS
bessy doors

has anyone had a recall by swift of their habitation door. Just heard about this today, and not sure if it is last year 2009 models.

my van is 2007 and it was recalled.it is just for gas strut on door. Blackie

Jack the Rev

Free Member
Apr 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
20 years
Yes my van a 2007 model has had a recall. The problem is I've sold it.

Jack the Rev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
It only applies to models fitted with a Euramax door.

Mark

PFS600

Free Member
Jan 19, 2010
Funster No
Swift recall

I have a 2008 Bessacarr, the recall applies to this as well, i spoke to Swift and what they do is remove the gas strut and fix a plastic catch to the side of the van to hold the door open, so you will now get a door that opens completly flat against the side of your van and nothing to stop the wind catching it when you open it, a step backwards i think, i would have thought that for the money that these vans cost a better fix would be available, not sure if i will bother having mine done, but not sure about how it would affect my remaining warranty, perhaps Mark from Central Leisure could shine some more light on this for me

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
The word Swift and Recall don't make sense. My door is every shape under the sun but my dealer has said Swift have gone deaf (surprise).
My friend has just had his third Euromax door fitted and hopes it may last more than 3 months. Swift had to be really threatened to act, some recall.
It will be interesting to see the outcome, but a Motorhome manufacturer caring for customers, that's refreshing. You never know it may rub off to the others, eventually.
Wiljoy

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I note that a reply mentions a clip fitted to the bodywork holding the door fully open - what about the window that the door would open against?
Surely a rather large protuding clip, surely not. :whatthe:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I note that a reply mentions a clip fitted to the bodywork holding the door fully open - what about the window that the door would open against?
Surely a rather large protuding clip, surely not. :whatthe:

We have had the door support clip fitted a while back, so far all seems well. That is on a Bolero FB 2008.....no probs with the window :thumb:

We feel a lot better than the door swinging in the wind:thumb:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We have had the door support clip fitted a while back, so far all seems well. That is on a Bolero FB 2008.....no probs with the window :thumb:

Sorry should have said I was thinking of the Bessacarr 560, not really up to speed on other variants.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have had the letter as well, but I am worried about the window on ours as well.

Rich...

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
I had a letter a few days ago...got straight onto my nearest dealership and was told Swift's comunication has just come through to them,they now have to order the parts which can take weeks and will only be doing thse recalls on a Friday afternoon starting from the end of April...Come on Swift get in gear...I've asked head office a couple of times re my hab. door not fitting properly at the bottom now they want to screw a plastic door stop on it:Doh:...I don't think so.....Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i got a recall on my 6 year old Hilux......faulty wiper RUBBERS !!!!!

how long do they think they last for god sake :Doh:

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
I have a Swift Ace Airstream 680FB and am wondering if it would be included in the door fix recall I have been holding the door open with a bungee to stop the wind banging it shut so as not to damage the fly screen :cry:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The word Swift and Recall don't make sense. My door is every shape under the sun but my dealer has said Swift have gone deaf (surprise).
My friend has just had his third Euromax door fitted and hopes it may last more than 3 months. Swift had to be really threatened to act, some recall.
It will be interesting to see the outcome, but a Motorhome manufacturer caring for customers, that's refreshing. You never know it may rub off to the others, eventually.
Wiljoy

I truly believe that Swift do not have any form of quality control or at least not that any vehicle manufacturer would recognize.

Also that the majority of their labour is semi skilled personal, Oh yes the will have a few time served craftsman so that they can claim other wise

This judgement is based on a lifetime's work in the engineering industry, from an 6 year apprenticeship in Heavy lifting gear, diesel/hydraulic/electric then onto 12 years in the merchant navy as an engineer finishing in the aircraft industry manufacturing and maintaining aircraft.

And spending the last 4 years more or less full timing in one of their (Swift) products, a Swift suntor 630g.

Doug...

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger

My Bessacarr goes to the dealer next week to have this done to the door my concern is when opened it will cover part of the window and also the electrical skt will stop the door from going fully back

Bill

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Rich

I believe you have the newer door which does not have the problem...............I think:thumb:

Steve we got the letter last week from Swift and I am sure our van has the Euro max door.

I am still sure if they take the current door stay of and put on on the van it will hit the window even if it is only open a little bit?

It is going into the get some other work done soon so I will ask then

Rich...

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
My Bessacarr goes to the dealer next week to have this done to the door my concern is when opened it will cover part of the window and also the electrical skt will stop the door from going fully back

Bill

Hi Bill

The skirt or window is safe as the door does not go back that far, I would show you a picture but van is in storage. Maybe someone is able to post one?

Rich

Jan rang them as we got a letter as well (letter now in bin so do not know what it say's) she was asked if we still had the strut or not. As we have not got the strut anymore then we are ok. Give them a ring as they may need to order something and they will have it ready.

Steve

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Hi Bill

The skirt or window is safe as the door does not go back that far, I would show you a picture but van is in storage. Maybe someone is able to post one?

Rich

Jan rang them as we got a letter as well (letter now in bin so do not know what it say's) she was asked if we still had the strut or not. As we have not got the strut anymore then we are ok. Give them a ring as they may need to order something and they will have it ready.

Steve

Thanks for that Rich also what seems to be the problem with this door as i see in other posts that they are getting replaced

Bill

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Thanks for that Rich also what seems to be the problem with this door as i see in other posts that they are getting replaced

Bill

Bill :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rich will thank you for the thanks, he did not give advice though. Re-read and you will see a reply to you and a reply to him :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Steve

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Habitation Doors

Why are Swift changing the doors on some Models

Bill:ROFLMAO:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The way I see it if you have a Euromax door chances are it will need changing at some point.

Our van is 10 months old and the door needs a hard slam to shut it and is starting to delaminate.

The replacement doors are much better, or so I have been told.

Steve will be able to advise as he has had both?

Rich...

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
The way I see it if you have a Euromax door chances are it will need changing at some point.

Our van is 10 months old and the door needs a hard slam to shut it and is starting to delaminate.

The replacement doors are much better, or so I have been told.

Steve will be able to advise as he has had both?

Rich...

Thanks Rich :Doh:

They have had to change the doors on some due to problems, although I believe not everyone has had a problem. So far the new door is Ok, sadly the bin is not as good as the old one. :cry: The door seal got slightly caught and got worse and worse(on new door) all it needed was a bit of double sided tape to stop it happening.

The 2009 models have a different door than either, It would be better coming from someone from Swift to clarify though.

Steve

Last edited:

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Euramax door

Hi,
As already said the problem affects the Euramax habitation door on Kon-tiki, E700, Voyager, E600, Bolero & E500 models, only the 2007 and 2008 season vans are affected. ( I note that some other customers have been written too outside of these criteria also which I need to look into and apologise for any confusion).

The issue with the door is something our supplier has been working on for some time. The problem is that on some affected doors the door can twist causing delamination of the door panels. This is caused by the pressure from the gas strut at the top of the door putting the door into twist with normal use.

So far, where a door has delaminated we have been replacing the doors and removing the pressurised gas strut and fitting a door stopper. However, we have now taken the decision with our supplier to proactively modify all affected doors to prevent the doors from failing in the first place and delaminating. We are writing to all affected customers.

I hope this answers some of the concerns, but if anyone has any specific concerns they can contact their dealer or indeed our customer services team for advise or email the Swift technical team direct technicalsupport@swiftleisure.co.uk

Thanks
Andy

Last edited:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Thanks for the clarification Andy

How about that Saturday and Swift reply :thumb:

So a solution is on the table and different doors on the 2009 onwards models.

Just as an after thought, we asked could we have the 2009 door fitted, sadly it does not fit the same. But as stated once the door and stopper is fitted then :thumb:

Steve

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Hi,
As already said the problem affects the Euramax habitation door on Kon-tiki, E700, Voyager, E600, Bolero & E500 models, only the 2007 and 2008 season vans are affected. ( I note that some other customers have been written too outside of these criteria also which I need to look into and apologise for any confusion).

The issue with the door is something our supplier has been working on for some time. The problem is that on some affected doors the door can twist causing delamination of the door panels. This is caused by the pressure from the gas strut at the top of the door putting the door into twist with normal use.

So far, where a door has delaminated we have been replacing the doors and removing the pressurised gas strut and fitting a door stopper. However, we have now taken the decision with our supplier to proactively modify all affected doors to prevent the doors from failing in the first place and delaminating. We are writing to all affected customers.

I hope this answers some of the concerns, but if anyone has any specific concerns they can contact their dealer or indeed our customer services team for advise or email the Swift technical team direct technicalsupport@swiftleisure.co.uk

Thanks
Andy

If you have to slam the door on a Dec.07 Bessacarr e560 then have rain and draughts coming in because of a gap at the bottom of the door and the locking does not work does this come into DELAMINATED...if so I've got it...but numerous calls to Swift have not rectified it yet...can you clarify this for me Andy....Regards..Dave

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
If you have to slam the door on a Dec.07 Bessacarr e560 then have rain and draughts coming in because of a gap at the bottom of the door and the locking does not work does this come into DELAMINATED...if so I've got it...but numerous calls to Swift have not rectified it yet...can you clarify this for me Andy....Regards..Dave

I Agree i have to do the same with my B/carr also the lock bars on the door come loose

Bill

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Dave
I have seen your email thanks, we will get back to you next week if thats okay,
Regards
Andy

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Dave
I have seen your email thanks, we will get back to you next week if thats okay,
Regards
Andy

Andy do you know if there is a problem as i have got it booked in on sat 6th to have this modification done again:thumb: my concern is that when the door opens it will push against the 240 volt skt

Bill

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Bill,
The door wont go any further back with the mod than it does currently, the stopper at the bottom only supports and stops the door at the bottom, if this make sense.
Thanks
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back