Over cab bed economy/performance...

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Mr Bridger, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Mr Bridger

Mr Bridger Read Only Funster

Hi. Mike here. A real newbie with pretty much zero experience apart from ownership of a Citroen C25 conversion from 1985 sold ten or so years ago....

I need to buy a motorhome for work and pleasure and am perplexed by the choices. The biggest choice seems to be the type (I don't even know what they're called in the UK, they're capucines over here) with a bed over the cab area. My concern is that they will drive like a drunken hippo, drink fuel and struggle to reach 70 mph...

So, bearing in mind my budget of around 25000 Euros (about £20K) what kind of performance (top/cruising speed and economy) can I expect from a Ducato over cab bed type van with the 2.8 (127 hp) motor which seems to be fitted to 50% of what's available over here in my price range.

Thank you in advance for your guidance..

Mike

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Hi Mike, in the UK they are a C class and like any highsided vehicle they can be affected by wind...head and side.

MPH....as said, headwinds will always restrict you.
    how much will depend on how strong the wind is.

A happy cruising speed is around 60mph and even into a moderate wind it should hold it.

MPG.....24 to 28 would be realistic and while the 'bulge' will have an effect on fuel it isnt worth worrying about.

My last fiat 2.8ltr turbo would do 26mpg all day long at 55/60mph...stick a 1000kg car on the towbar and it dropped to 25mpg.....1mpg i wont loose sleep over.

One thing i am sure of....you wont want to be doing 70mph for long, far too tiring concentrating on the road and what the vans doing.

• Like Like x 4
  3. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

The huge overcab bed more than makes up for what is lost in fuel economy for us. It is a huge super king size. Having said that anything over 3 metres is classed as a 3 despite our attempts to shout " campingcar" into the toll booth !!!! So it can be expensive if you intend to use the tolls a lot. Ours is a 2 year old van with the Euro 5 engine and it easily reaches over 70...... If I am driving......not so much if hubby is driving.....he sets the mpg on the dash !!!!!

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi Mike I find my performance in the overcab bed is the same as at home:wink:

• Like Like x 10
  5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Don't shout! Ask nicely!
    We always get class 2!
    'Bonjour monsieur/madam, nous avons une camping car. Est le tarriff correct?'

Works for us!

6. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

hi i have a bessacar e745 i sleep over the cab wife sleeps below nobody gets in way when you have to get up for the inevitable pee,both beds are really comfy, i can cruise allday at 65-70 on motorway lovely, cant emphasise how comfy over cab bed is regards steve

• Like Like x 1
  7. Popeye

Popeye Funster

That's reassuring Rog, I thought you were getting something I'm not.......:ROFLMAO:.

• Like Like x 1
  8. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

My last MH had this engine and as my daughter lives 500 miles away did many Motorway miles at 70+ and still got about 24mpg but on A roads at 50 mph got about 27mpg over the 2 years I had it averaged 25mpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

yes i agree with you im very pleased had mine about 3 months

10. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

I didn't really shout, my poor choice of words :) I tried my very best french but to no avail and we are only 3.2 m as well. I should have added that we didn't go through any manned tolls which may have had a different outcome.

11. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I must admit, we haven't seen anyone in a booth for a while now!
    Talking to the intercom is tricky, especially when it talks to you quickly!!!
    We are about 3.2 Metres too!

There's discrimination afoot!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Momo

Momo Funster

Hi Mike and welcome to the Fun!(y):welc:

13. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Hello and welcome. I have to say our first thought at the prospect of climbing a ladder into an overcab bed was, "no way are we going up there to sleep!" Well we went up, just to try it 'for a laugh' and were really surprised. The bed was big and VERY comfortable, yes, we had to climb up and down but then not as much as climbing the stairs at home, and no stowing of bedding in the morning and fetching it out at night. Never slept 'downstairs' since.

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

A common name is "Luton" after the delivery Luton Van that extended over the cab.

We get 25mpg, people with low profile vans claim 30+, just a guide. If we cruise at 70 then was drop nearer to 20 mpg. We generally travel at HGV speed or a bit more. We are on holiday, speed is rarely needed.

As long as you can climb the ladder they are an excellent idea, no loss of internal space and a giant bed.

15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Like Wyn above we had a slightly bigger Euramobil Profila model a 660 (similar to one pictured above In Wyns avatar). At the time it was the biggest overcab bed in its class, an yes once up there it was fine, and my kids were comfortable in it. We slept on rear bed above garage. Although we had it 4.5 years, in retrospect it was a mistake for all your concerns given in opening post. would not have another, no way!

my kids were always happier sleeping in a tent anyway. and plenty of low roof models that will be far easier to live with, that the lounge converts to a double bed a well. I dont see the need to be honest, negatives far outway the positives IMO

whatever you do get it damp checked before purchase.....

16. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi, go for it.......
    My 'bedroom' is the one over the cab (as in avatar photo), its big, comfy, can pull my curtains across and I'm in my own world, and when warm out I can open my little window and the breeze just wafts across me - heaven. Fuel wise (60 ish) I get about 26-28 and since I fitted air suspension no wallowing at all, in fact the overcab feels no different to a non-overcab MoHo.
    The additional space is a godsend too.

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

dont really know its there

• Like Like x 1
  18. Angela Dyer

Angela Dyer Read Only Funster

Hi. We have just purchased a MH with an overcab bed. I am dubious to try it. Will I not roll over and topple out.?

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

anything is possible.. if in doubt, fit a safety net across the front, as used for preventing kids from rolling out..

but if you are in a double sleeping bag.. unlikely..

20. Angela Dyer

Angela Dyer Read Only Funster

Double sleeping bag is a good idea.
    Thank you ScotJimland